onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Go back to plan a

tonyh

At the present moment in time we need the 'old head' in front of goal and my concern of Dodds is that he disappears in games - much prefer to see him as an impact sub.

I have to agree that if we need a goal I'd rather see Dodds come on before Williamson or Andrew as he is a more clinical finisher.

I agree, you know give Hughes a chance and he will 9 times out of 10 score it, the problem is the midfield arent giving him chances to score, thats why id like to see doddsy play as the link up man personally.

Advert

So if the new players haven't led to the drop in form and scoring, what has? Is it just coincidence?

At Rotherham, we created two great goals from flowing football. Flowing football. Now when did we last see that?

And when did I say "from someone who suggested we should only bring in new players who were not good enough to get in the team"?

Many reasons. Tactics, preparation, form, other teams form and preparation, being found out....erc. Is it not possible that without the new players we would be worse off? Only jones and purse played out of the new players and they are two of our better performers. Mccombe was awful last night, yet you blame purse and jones! I got the last bit from you when we signed them all. Can't be bothered to search out the quotes to show it.

Can't be bothered to search out the quotes to show it.

The only thing you'd find me repeatedly saying about the new signings is " If it aint bost don't fix it".

It wasn't bost, but it now looks like the wheels are coming off.

We had a TEAM with team spirit. They weren't world beaters, but they knew their roles. Pope is increasingly looking frustrated at having to change what he does. Jones has been OK, but what did Yates do wrong when he played at left back? The point of signing an overlapping left back, is that there should be some end product.

I obviously didn't choose a good example of Plan A, but thinking about it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bolster the midfield, by having the system we played at Rotherham.

I like MA, but he's not proactive and gets out thought as was evident last night. I hope he's not bearing a grudge against Morsy.

Switching from Pope upfront on his own to giving him a partner is the problem. Absolutely stupid. He spends more time running the channels and dropping deep to flick things on when he should just be the focal point and staying in the box.

Adams is going to cost us promotion at this rate.

Look at when a defender has the ball, Vincent and JMW join Pope and Hughes in a line of 4, then Burge and Loft are left with a midfield 5 surrounding them. So as there isn't a short option it's hoofed upfront.

The last time I saw Vale play really well was the away game at Rotherham. This was the team:

01 Neal

02 Yates

05 McCombe

24 Duffy

25 Chilvers

07 Loft

09 Myrie-Williams (Taylor - 87' )

18 Morsy

23 Burge

08 Dodds (Andrew - 78' )

11 Pope

I think Vincent must have been suspended. The new signings have done nothing to enhance that team. Jones has his good points, but hasn't led to a single goal apart from the one he scored himself. Taylor may have his faults as a full back, but we could see tonight what a good crosser of a ball he is. That's not to mention how well Yates played when he was switched to left back. Loft was better, because he was playing on the left. Pope knew what his role was.

The treatment of Morsy appears a little strange (or perhaps it doesn't).

That formation is certainly a possibility and I think there are players who can do a job in it.

I also put forward the case for Shuker. It was he and Morsy in midfield (and not his natural position) that got us to the top in the first quarter of the season.

I feel we need to have 3 formations to choose from and not allow the opposition to train to defend against 442 or train to defend against 352 or 433. There is some risk of losing shape and coordination in changing formations for games to upset the opposition but it is less of a risk than being predictable.

Ok issues I have are:

1) When James, McDonald, Morsy and Williamson were regulars the team spirit seemed higher

2) Purse is by far the best CB defensively BUT he just hooves the ball forward at every opportunity and that's not how we play.

3) Can Loft and Burge play together as effectively as Morsy and Burge(I think not)?

4) For all of Dodd's shortcomings he links the play between the midfield and the striker(s) well, something that we have been lacking in the past few games.

I agree in saying go back to plan A, but Purse and Jones have massively improved our defence, two brilliant players.

Agree both tremendous players! - Just think what we would have been like without em!!

Too many players off-form (or whatever), we have started slowly in most home games of late as I remember.

Not strong enough in midfield, no support from wide positions, not creating enough or quickly enough going forward.

We have now made x5 Teams look like Brazil at Vale Park!

We are strong enough for this division. We have 63 points. We are second. We have only seven defeats.

Vale have just emerged from administration, the league placing under these circumstances is outstanding.

Think back over the last ten years and compare it to now.

There is a massive over reaction to a few setbacks.

A few set backs!! Have you watched the home performances recently, we have been poor at home for many weeks, and how we change things now to beat the likes of Northampton, Burton, Bradford etc is beyond me. Will it still be an over reaction in April when promotion has slipped away because of our dire home form.

We are strong enough for this division. We have 63 points. We are second. We have only seven defeats.

Vale have just emerged from administration, the league placing under these circumstances is outstanding.

Think back over the last ten years and compare it to now.

There is a massive over reaction to a few setbacks.

This is all i think we need to do - and it isn't like they're all strangers to each other :-

Neal

Duffy Purse Chilvers (if fit) Loft

MW Morsey Burge Jones

Dodds

Pope

Home and away (possibly swap Loft and Jones around at home)

I'd go with that, although I thought Duffy looked OK in the middle with Purse and then bring back Yates.

Would MA be prepared to drop Hughes?

Archived