Does Burslem warrant or deserve a F.C?

PVTony

Spot on Mel, I am owd enough to remember and attend in those days!:yes:

From memory in the 70's it was more like 2500 plus or minus a few hunded, we used to have the massive Hamil Road end and often there would be about 10-20 in there.

Advert:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was listening to a discussion about Premier League finances in 2013/14. As a minimum a Premier League club will get £60 million in TV money. That may not last more than a few years as other leagues challenge etc, but it shows a divide now between the Premier League and the rest or perhaps between the Premier League & Championship and the rest. In the 1990's clubs like Tranmere came close to reaching the Premier League but it is hard to see how that could happen now.

Another ignorant thread towards attendances!

Im sure some live in a little bubble and dont face reality.

PVTony..... It inner rocket science. Go to google and do your homework on previous attendances, especially in this division. You will then see why i get constantly irate at you and other posters who post utter nonsense about our attendances and think we should be getting more.

Sme of you are so ignorant towards our history its untrue.

When I saw this thread I thought that owd Spunkers would explode at yet another attandance thread;)

You're right though. Too many people are getting carried away by a few of our 10,000 gates during our Division One/Championship days against the likes of Man City, Wolves, Stoke, W.B.A and Brum. This was only because all those teams regularly brought 3,000-4,000 to Vale Park, which is unheard of at League Two level.

Most we have had in recent times is the 1,300 or so which Crewe and Shrewsbury have brought. Todays attendance was higher than our average attendance for the majority of our seasons when we were last in League One 4-5 seasons ago.

PVTony, please check the statistics. You'll find that our overall average attendance so far this season is higher than 11 League ONE clubs. So yes, Burslem does deserve an F.C.

Advert:

Don't first buses run to burslem?

They do, but they also could use the same system to take fans to and from away games without going to vale park and waiting for a bus. It could also create a sense of community within the local area that people come from

Reasonable for the Conference North, where do the players wages come from?

Dropping the price of admission doest mean the club will make a loss long term; if anything they will probably make a gain because more will come.

Until wages ect start to pick up (and we could be waiting a long time) or the club decide to compromise with the whole matchday deals in regards season tickets and pay on the day admission; then attendances will continue to dissapoint, simply because the price is too much.

My wife comes from Jarrow. We left the Potteries to live on the Wirral in 1987. I spent a lot of 2011 working in Carlisle. Two of our friends have just gone to live in Spain. My son visited 17 countries in the last 3 years and is just returning to Sydney and then probably to work in Auckland again via a holiday in Salt Lake City. My daughter now lives and works in Surrey. I am saying this to point out that I still support and watch Port Vale live and that there will be a lot of people like me that don't live locally that do. Increasingly Port Vale's support will be as complex.

Advert:

I was listening to a discussion about Premier League finances in 2013/14. As a minimum a Premier League club will get £60 million in TV money. That may not last more than a few years as other leagues challenge etc, but it shows a divide now between the Premier League and the rest or perhaps between the Premier League & Championship and the rest. In the 1990's clubs like Tranmere came close to reaching the Premier League but it is hard to see how that could happen now.
This is exactly what is wrong with the English game. The greedy Premiership grab all the money then feed it to their greedy nomadic players and their agents. Non of it going back to feed the game at it's grass roots.

Thank the Lord for 'local heroes like 'The Pope''

I can see what folks are talking about having to compete with our 'nice premiership' neighbours for the local support but really we should applaud Tiny Penis because he is doing his bit to drive the less staunch fans back to the mecca of Vale Park with his superb tactics!!:laugh:

Only 5,172 gate at the Vale park today.

How disappointing.

First home game for a while, more than 3 weeks. So no saying that folks can't afford more than one game per week.

Top of the league team.

A winning team, only beaten twice in the last eleven games.

Three new players on view.

Dry sunny weather.

And some people were slagging off Stoke because there were some empty seats in their mid week match.

5,172, for the leagues top team???

Does the Burslem area deserve such a good club?

Gillingham got a massive 4,893 for their last saturday home game, shall we relocate them to France?!......:unsure::doh::laugh:

Only 5,172 gate at the Vale park today.

How disappointing.

First home game for a while, more than 3 weeks. So no saying that folks can't afford more than one game per week.

Top of the league team.

A winning team, only beaten twice in the last eleven games.

Three new players on view.

Dry sunny weather.

And some people were slagging off Stoke because there were some empty seats in their mid week match.

5,172, for the leagues top team???

Does the Burslem area deserve such a good club?

I dont understand "only 5,172"... The average for the last 10 years has been under 5,000.... how many do you expect?.... 20 years ago it was higher but a lot has happened in 20 years.... dropping 2 divisions.... fans dying.... families moving away.... oh and a double dip recession thrown in for good measure.... for 10 years Vale has done little or nothing to attract new supporters and at £20 a game is overpriced.... for most of the last 10 years its not been all that entertaining to go and watch matches and fans have been alienated.... what exactly do you expect? When I started attending regularly 3,000 was a good gate.

There are no fans hiding in the woodwork, waiting to rush back.... if there are they have been hiding for over 10 years.

Advert:

The club should try to get youngsters to come to Vale Park and made them Valiants supporters. I think we have lost a lot of young people to Stoke City. Why not let youth team in for free once in a while. We have a large ground !

To get over 5,000 home fans in this league is good in my eyes. If/when we get promoted we must aim at 6,500 home fans each week. To do this a clever season ticket offer is needed. ( I think that will be announced with the new club crest this week) and ticket offers throughout the season. Add to that a bigger away following in league one with a few more bigger and closer clubs should tee up a exciting future if we finish the job we have started!

Archived