onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Does Burslem warrant or deserve a F.C?

PVTony

It's getting more and more difficult for clubs to attract bigger gates, given the poor state of the economy, so we are doing well in the circumstances. There's a good article on the BBC site, for anyone interested, about the problems clubs face.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19977215

In particular, they've highlighted Brighton's efforts to increase their gates. We don't have their stadium and we certainly don't have their economy but nevertheless, they've worked hard to provide their fans with the incentive to arrive early and stay late, so that they get a day out for their money's worth. This is something I'd expect the new owners to work on given time.

In addition, it doesn't help when we get the likes of D&G bringing, what was it, 42 supporters and Accy, just up the M6, a hundred or so. Promotion to League 2, assuming we get there, will not only bring better football but more away supporters. It will be a long road to repair the damage done by Mold.

Advert

Attendances weren't bad. But they could be better and I gthink two factors affect it:

No longer a 'family club' - this was a USP over Stoke in the 90s.

Prices - no proper student offer (cheap to go Man City!), pay on gate far too high for forth tier. One off offers on pay on day are ineffective, I think they need to be sustained and ST prices nudged up.

From 11 league fixtures in League 1 yesterday, only 3 fixtures had an higher attendance than us yesterday. But teams are going to bring more fans than Accrington ( no disrespect to them) but we are in the lowest league, so I dont understand people expecting teams to bring shed loads of fans. Obviously bigger teams are going bring bigger attendance.

Just because £20 is not a lot of money for you to pay to watch a football match, doesn't mean its not a lot to someone else

Your comment has no bearing on what I actually posted, so I'm at a loss as to why you've made it.

My point, to clarify, is that reducing admission prices will not drastically increase attendances and therefore the club would lose out financially. Why would any competent owners of a business actively encourage a loss of income?

Can't say fairer than that - as a one-off, it's a really good idea and one which, if possible, we should be looking to emulate when trying to get more locals through the gate.

Clearly, I'm biased here but, I just wish there could be a way of encouraging us Exiles to make the trip to Burslem more often.

I've racked/wrecked my brain to think of how this could be done but I can't see it.

Any offers?!

Just because £20 is not a lot of money for you to pay to watch a football match, doesn't mean its not a lot to someone else

Of course the value of £20 varies between people, but the price of football is fixed by the running costs and the need to stay competitive. Even Prem teams with £Ms a year need the gate money to pay their players, otherwise only poorer players could be signed, which would end with relegation. So it is bound to be a decision for lots of people on how often, or not, they attend VP. It is a good idea to have special offers, so people can see what they are missing, and/or to retain the faith, introduce them, etc. It would be great if the economy improved, but that is another story.

Can't say fairer than that - as a one-off, it's a really good idea and one which, if possible, we should be looking to emulate when trying to get more locals through the gate.

Clearly, I'm biased here but, I just wish there could be a way of encouraging us Exiles to make the trip to Burslem more often.

I've racked/wrecked my brain to think of how this could be done but I can't see it.

Any offers?!

Radical, but why not a 'free' season ticket (or a minimal £5 per visit) if you live outside a certain distance from Vale Park ? there are enough seats to accommodate a further 10,000 fans and more, so why not encourage you to come. You will buy merchandise, programmes, pies, golden goal tickets etc and even if you don't surely it's better you are here cheering us on rather than sat at home watching teletext.

Purely random addition to this thread.

Current average away following at Vale Park - 264

Current average Vale away following - 664.

I doubt the first of those figures will rise much looking at who we have left at Vale Park. I suspect the second may break through 700 before the end of the season with games at the likes of Chesterfield, Rochdale and Oxford to come.

PS Our away average from three cup ties is 1,655!

Radical, but why not a 'free' season ticket (or a minimal £5 per visit) if you live outside a certain distance from Vale Park ? there are enough seats to accommodate a further 10,000 fans and more, so why not encourage you to come. You will buy merchandise, programmes, pies, golden goal tickets etc and even if you don't surely it's better you are here cheering us on rather than sat at home watching teletext.

Obviously, I'm going to agree with you here!!

However, the argument will be that "it's his choice to live there so why should he get in for a fiver when I have to pay full whack?".

Obviously, I'm going to agree with you here!!

However, the argument will be that "it's his choice to live there so why should he get in for a fiver when I have to pay full whack?".

Then the guy arguing is very short-sighted. You will pay more in travel costs than others who pay the full £20.00. You will also give up virtually a whole day of your weekend to attend......similar in a way to an away game at say Gillingham for me.

You will all have a plethora of reasons for why you live so far away and all of them very valid.

The point is, do we want you here, or sat at home. Personally I would rather the club tempt fans who live afar to visit more often - just like I would like the club to offer 5 or 10-game season tickets to fans who work Saturdays, or shifts.

If Vale Park was crammed to the rafters week on week then the argument may have some validity. Of course it's just my opinion, and I don't set the rules, but hopefully these are the kinds of incentives needed and Paul and Norman are clever enough to see that every fan should be given every possible assistance to encourage them to attend.

Some County Cricket clubs do this sort of thing. At Nottinghamshire you can get an adult membership for £151 or a Country Adult Membership for £131, which is for folk who live more than 20 miles from Trent Bridge. They also do a husband and wife/partner country membership for £189. I think we should investigate the idea of family season tickets, especially as folk are going to be able to pay monthly.

Archived