onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Does Burslem warrant or deserve a F.C?

PVTony

My wife comes from Jarrow. We left the Potteries to live on the Wirral in 1987. I spent a lot of 2011 working in Carlisle. Two of our friends have just gone to live in Spain. My son visited 17 countries in the last 3 years and is just returning to Sydney and then probably to work in Auckland again via a holiday in Salt Lake City. My daughter now lives and works in Surrey. I am saying this to point out that I still support and watch Port Vale live and that there will be a lot of people like me that don't live locally that do. Increasingly Port Vale's support will be as complex.

Advert

I was listening to a discussion about Premier League finances in 2013/14. As a minimum a Premier League club will get £60 million in TV money. That may not last more than a few years as other leagues challenge etc, but it shows a divide now between the Premier League and the rest or perhaps between the Premier League & Championship and the rest. In the 1990's clubs like Tranmere came close to reaching the Premier League but it is hard to see how that could happen now.
This is exactly what is wrong with the English game. The greedy Premiership grab all the money then feed it to their greedy nomadic players and their agents. Non of it going back to feed the game at it's grass roots.

Thank the Lord for 'local heroes like 'The Pope''

I can see what folks are talking about having to compete with our 'nice premiership' neighbours for the local support but really we should applaud Tiny Penis because he is doing his bit to drive the less staunch fans back to the mecca of Vale Park with his superb tactics!!:laugh:

Only 5,172 gate at the Vale park today.

How disappointing.

First home game for a while, more than 3 weeks. So no saying that folks can't afford more than one game per week.

Top of the league team.

A winning team, only beaten twice in the last eleven games.

Three new players on view.

Dry sunny weather.

And some people were slagging off Stoke because there were some empty seats in their mid week match.

5,172, for the leagues top team???

Does the Burslem area deserve such a good club?

Gillingham got a massive 4,893 for their last saturday home game, shall we relocate them to France?!......:unsure::doh::laugh:

How disappointing.

First home game for a while, more than 3 weeks. So no saying that folks can't afford more than one game per week.

Top of the league team.

Dry sunny weather.

And some people were slagging off Stoke because there were some empty seats in their mid week match.

I dont understand "only 5,172"... The average for the last 10 years has been under 5,000.... how many do you expect?.... 20 years ago it was higher but a lot has happened in 20 years.... dropping 2 divisions.... fans dying.... families moving away.... oh and a double dip recession thrown in for good measure.... for 10 years Vale has done little or nothing to attract new supporters and at £20 a game is overpriced.... for most of the last 10 years its not been all that entertaining to go and watch matches and fans have been alienated.... what exactly do you expect? When I started attending regularly 3,000 was a good gate.

There are no fans hiding in the woodwork, waiting to rush back.... if there are they have been hiding for over 10 years.

To get over 5,000 home fans in this league is good in my eyes. If/when we get promoted we must aim at 6,500 home fans each week. To do this a clever season ticket offer is needed. ( I think that will be announced with the new club crest this week) and ticket offers throughout the season. Add to that a bigger away following in league one with a few more bigger and closer clubs should tee up a exciting future if we finish the job we have started!

I was in the Hamil, and there didn't look over 5k to be honest....Strange acoustics in the ground, i could hardly hear anything until we scored and even then it was a sort of a muffled sound.

The guy who started the thread said the word 'Burslem' We are a town club based in the north of a trunkated city.

How many really successful town clubs are there?

We will average close to 6k come the end of the season. If the average away following at VP was greater than 250 it would help.

How disappointing.

Top of the league team.

Dry sunny weather.

I'd love to see more people there but to put it into perspective, take a look at a lot of the L1 attendances for yesterday....

How do our attendences compare to other promotion winning seasons?

last time we got promoted from this division under Rudge, our average gates were around 3500. The time before under McGrath we got a few over 5000 with the last two games being over 6000. I think yesterdays gate was good given away support and the fact we have another game Tuesday with reduced admission.

I could have gone yesterday but seeing that I already have my ticket for Tuesday I decided to hang on, as I only have 4 days off a month with my wife I have to juggle my activities and try and please everyone, hence, yesterday I spent the day with the family (with one ear on radio Stoke) and on Tuesday I will be meeting my other family in Tommy Cheadle's before the game.

£20 is overpriced for L2 football. But its not just us doing it - all L2 teams (I think) and most conference teams have ticket prices between £15-25. So its either some massive price-fixing scam by all lower league teams, keeping prices artificially high, or that is the sort of price they need to charge.

Prem teams get so much in tv money, they can afford to keep ticket prices low. They could probably play to an empty stadium and still make a profit.

And while Stoke have still got the 2008'ers (love that word whoever came up with it), willing to pay a little bit more than L2 prices to watch Tiny P using his trademark 10-0-0 formation, our attendances will always suffer.

Archived