• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Have PORT VALE ever played CHELSEA in a competitive game

Johnny Woodward

When did we draw against West ham 2-2 at the Vale. Was it 1990. I'm sure Ronnie Futcher scored.

We also played West ham in the FA cup in the early eighties (lost 4-1?)The football special took five hours to get there and we were half an hour late for the game.

http://www.westhamunited-mad.co.uk/head_to_head/west_ham_united/vs/port_vale/index.shtml

The 2-2 draw at West Ham was not the last time we played them, Mark Grew saved two penalties on that day. The last game at Upton park was a battling 0-0 draw 29 December 1990 in the second tier (now Championship), with Ronnie Jepson starring for Vale and Beckfor missing a last-gasp sitter.

It was such an easy tap in that I could never really forgive him, very harsh I know after his career with Vale, but I came away hugely disappointed when it was really a magnificent point.

The FA Cup tie was in January 1985, we did get well beaten but not thrashed and continued to go forward but lost 1-4 in the end.

There was a previous FA Cup tie about Jan 72 or 73 when the swines robbed us 1-0 at Vale park, Bobby Moore and all - a travesty of a result as Tommy McLaren ran them ragged and only bad reffing and bad luck saw them win. The ref was calling Bobby Moore 'Mr Moore' and their manager accused Vale of being dirty afterwards. There were a number of stabbings in a riot-torn Bycars End, and the whole day was very nasty. Some fans of each club were stabbed I believe.

It doesn't look likely that we will play the Rodents again soon, barring FA/League Cup tie, but with the manager they have now they come across as even more unlikeable and would provide great joy if they went on a losing run that saw them in relegation trouble (unlikely sadly this season, but maybe next ?)

Vale did beat West Ham in 1955/56 (that was the last time) in the old Div 2 but despite advancing age, that's even a few years before my memory. A 2-0 win for Vale at Upton Park and a 2-1 win for Vale at Vale Park that season.

Advert:

I went to this home game.My Dad took my brother and I.We used to go in the Railway Stand,wooden seats and cushions to sit on if you wanted.I remember the game because the stand was pretty full,thousands from Coventry were there,and I didn't like Coventry's sky blue strip.We couldn't sit in our regular seat ,not far from where we sit now,because of the big crowd.

My second home match at VP was Vale vs Coventry and we won 2-1, Jimmy Hill was the manager and I thought it was 61/62 or 63. Two weeks before, my first ever Vale game, we played QPR and lost 2-3 in the old 3rd division.

Archived