• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Have PORT VALE ever played CHELSEA in a competitive game

Johnny Woodward

I have seen Vale play at every ground in englush football apart from Chelsea nor have I ever seen Vale play Chelsea.That was my record and then along came these new grounds ar Boro,Saints,Brighton etc.

Didn't know you were that old mate.

Advert:

I would be surprised if there are any Vale fans left living who saw Vale play Chelsea last in a competitive senior match? I think Coventry and Chelsea are the two league teams I've not known Vale to play in my life time. I've not seen us play West Ham either as the last game was slightly before I actually went to VP.

I have seen Vale play at every ground in englush football apart from Chelsea nor have I ever seen Vale play Chelsea.That was my record and then along came these new grounds ar Boro,Saints,Brighton etc.

You Never know you could be going to the bridge in 3 seasons to settle a few old scores

And im sure we wouldn,t leave it 30 odd years before we won there either , not like the other residents in the city

Advert:

Coventry, last time in the league, 1964.1-1 twice.

I went to this home game.My Dad took my brother and I.We used to go in the Railway Stand,wooden seats and cushions to sit on if you wanted.I remember the game because the stand was pretty full,thousands from Coventry were there,and I didn't like Coventry's sky blue strip.We couldn't sit in our regular seat ,not far from where we sit now,because of the big crowd.

You sure H04? My first match was Coventry at VP, 17000 crowd, and I thought it was '67. Be interested if I'd got this wrong all these years!

Just had a check mate.Coventry won the 3rd Div.Championship in 1964.You are older than you thought.;)That crowd was probably right.

Advert:

The only two league teams I've never known us play competitively in my time following Vale are Chelsea and Coventry.

I reckon West Ham must be the team we've gone the third longest without playing. We lost 1-0 at home to them in 90/91 when Ian Bishop hit the winner with a long range wind assisted punt that sailed past a static Mark Grew.

Advert:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived