onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best Port Vale XI you have seen

Angel of Burslem

Barry sidall he is one of the worst players I have ever seen in a vale shirt remember going to bury on Boxing Day 1984 he was totally responsible for our 4 nil loss. He returned to vale for a friendly took off his green shirt to reviel his new club joke city top

Sunderland actually put Baz in the 'cult hero' bracket :doh:

Advert

Tsk! Where's the dream full-back pairing of Ebanks and Steggles?

Although, I admit, Pearson is a good shout for the worst Vale player I have seen...

We seem to have had loads of awful fullbacks over the years - Agboola was pretty dreadful too.

I thought this was the best X1 not worst...

There have been far worse keepers than Boswell - Reg Edwards , Pearce, the idiot who played at Enfield (Cherry?).

McDonald would walk into that team. Honourable mention too for peter Farrell.

Edwards wasa pig farmer from Oswestry I recall and dire, but I tried to pick the "big" names. That said, the other keepers, and other players named were all *****. Clayt is far non-worse than Delgado and Pollard. The latter who is down there with Pearson as the worst ever.

Walk Lge 2 with these?

Pilkington

Agbola Miles

Slater Delgado Holwyn

Tudor Brown Mc Innes

Guy Glover (D)

Perry

Pilks(2) and Slater plus Guy and Perry could walk in to any side that wanted to lose. You forget, dont you, how many **** players we have had over the years.

I wasn't nominating Steggles as a great player but rather as a contender as one of the worst fullbacks we've had (although I'll admit, Pearson was far worse).

I think Steggles' lasting cult appeal is because he played through luck (or rather Alan Webb's bad luck), rather than skill in one of Vale's greatest-ever 90 minutes.

I know you werent! I was saying he wasnt that bad.

I admit the list I submitted would not be among the top 1000 Port Vale players ever. BUT Bob Delgado was always exceptionaly good when he played against us for Chester. If my memorys correct Vale signed him for 30k in the mid 70s and we were suitably impressed. A six two thrashing at Barnsley on Boxing Day was not one of Bobs best performances and sadly he did not improve?

McDonald isn't that bad, to put him in a worst Vale 11 is wrong in the extreme! Jermaine Holwyn could barely stand up and Chris Slater was dire too, getting outstriped for pace by a 30+ odd year old Simon Yeo against Macc was embarassing!

Worst in the centre of midfield would be the infamous MacKenzie and Davidson partnership at Bury in the 3-0 defeat under Glover!

Anyway back on topic Jan Jansson deserves an honourable mention in midfield imo, class player! Certainly gets my wildcard or unsung hero entry onto the subs bench!:D

I admit the list I submitted would not be among the top 1000 Port Vale players ever. BUT Bob Delgado was always exceptionaly good when he played against us for Chester. If my memorys correct Vale signed him for 30k in the mid 70s and we were suitably impressed. A six two thrashing at Barnsley on Boxing Day was not one of Bobs best performances and sadly he did not improve?

As I recall, although it ended 6-2, I was under the impression it could have finished 2-6. Although it was long long ago and bliddy cold too!

Hamilboy and Elderbezza - I go back to 1957 and totally agree with your views - Roy Sproson, of course, but the mercurial John Green is a top selection. Best keeper has to be Ken Hancock my childhood hero whose mobile number is still listed in my phone simply as 'Hero'

I would always have Andy Porter in my side as no-one ever enjoyed playing against him - ask the Stokies.

We've had some great goalscorers of course and how do you pick two from Cliff Portwood, Steve Mcphee, Bert Llewelyn, Darren Beckford, Andy Jones and 'there's only one tin Foyle' - however, as a partnership I think I would go for Foyley running the line and winning the free kicks and scoring 20 a season alongside barnstormer himself Andy Jones who could do no wrong for me after turning Steve Bould 25 yards out and blasting one in at the Victoria Ground on his debut in a pre-season 'friendly'.

John Rowland would be worth a punt or two out wide along with the likes of Stevie Fox and Gareth Ainsworth or Dickie Cunliffe and Harry Oscroft but at the end of the day Guppy and Mcarthy for giving me the greatest goal I've seen at the Vale. My God I've left out Mark Chamberlain!

To make this a bit easier could we pick two sides Rudgie's Vale v The Rest?

Archived