onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best Port Vale XI you have seen

Angel of Burslem

Such a shame for Michael Walsh, as he really could have been an all time great if iy wasn't for injuries. Oh well, here goes...

Here we go again . Anyone who plays 10 games a season is an actual hindrance to the team and a liability because of the disruption it causes. He would therefore have to be a candidate for the worst team

Advert

Such a shame for Michael Walsh, as he really could have been an all time great if iy wasn't for injuries. Oh well, here goes...

Here we go again . Anyone who plays 10 games a season is an actual hindrance to the team and a liability because of the disruption it causes. He would therefore have to be a candidate for the worst team

He had undoubted ability. Are you seriously questioning that? Yes, I do agree that through his worst phase of injuries, he was definitely a hinderance.. However, you cannot deny that if he was more fortunate, there is a large chance he could have made it relatively big in the game! The same with Goodlad.

I bet there will be more that agree with me, than disagree :)

He had undoubted ability. Are you seriously questioning that? Yes, I do agree that through his worst phase of injuries, he was definitely a hinderance.. However, you cannot deny that if he was more fortunate, there is a large chance he could have made it relatively big in the game! The same with Goodlad.

I bet there will be more that agree with me, than disagree :)

I agree with you but that doesnt make him a part of the best Vale team ever. On that basis you would have to consider Alan Oakes, Stanley Matthews , Mel Charles, Eric Skeels etc.

Barry sidall he is one of the worst players I have ever seen in a vale shirt remember going to bury on Boxing Day 1984 he was totally responsible for our 4 nil loss. He returned to vale for a friendly took off his green shirt to reviel his new club joke city top

I remember that. It was during some half time Penalty prize

Think you're missing my point. I only mentioned him in a passing breath. I never said he was/should be part of the best Vale team, just that if it weren't for injuries, he could have gone onto have a great career; with or without us!

My late, great Uncle Arthur Bates, who watched Vale from the 1930's/40's said when we signed Walsh, after watching his.for a.few games; "Wow, he will be a ****** good player." - after all that he had seen and the amount of moaning he did, that is one heck of a compliment, believe me!!!

He turned down Leicester City in the 1940's as well because he didnt want.to leave Stanfields! What a guy!

Jim Arnold

Simon Mills

Phil Sproson

Dean Glover

Darren Hughes

Jon McCarthy

Robbie Earle

Ray Walker

Steve Guppy

Martin Foyle

Andy Jones

Subs: Paul Musslewhite; Neil Aspin; Andy Porter; Ian Taylor; Robin Van der Laan; Tony Naylor; Darren Beckford

Now I think you have all missed someone out of your team selections.

The best player to pull on a Vale shirt by a country mile.

If you can't think who it is, take a look at my avatar.

Bet your singing it now aren't you BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN, BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN, BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN.

Now I think you have all missed someone out of your team selections.

The best player to pull on a Vale shirt by a country mile.

If you can't think who it is, take a look at my avatar.

Bet your singing it now aren't you BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN, BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN, BERNIE, BERNIE SLAVEN.

Great player but his stint was all too brief and I'd rather Foyle or Naylor anyway

Good thread.

I'd go with:

Goodlad

Aspin

Glover

Gardner

Tankard

Ainsworth

Ian Taylor

Bogie

Guppy

Foyle

Naylor

Really tough one in centre of midfield especially, I could have picked Ray Walker, Robin van der Laan and Andy Porter too. I probably didn't quite see Ray Walker in his prime as I started following Vale 1992(first match 1993) but I still saw glimpses of quality. The ball he put over for Guppy who then crossed for Naylor to score at Molineaux and his goal in the fog against Palace! Class!

McCarthy would obviously run Ainsworth close on the right wing

I'm not sure about Aspin at RB but can't really think of another defender I'd put in. Andy Hill was steady but I'm not sure I'd put in my greatest Vale team!

The last decade obviously no where near as good but an honourable mention for McPhee and Brooker upfront in 03/04. I thought their partnership was class at times and it's a shame we didn't quite make the playoffs/go up, it then got broken up the season after and it's been downhill until recently!

Why do folk go on about Steggles so much ? His defensive work was OK but his distribution was woeful . Of course he was in the side that beat Tottenham and performed valiantly.

Ebanks was woeful all round.

I wasn't nominating Steggles as a great player but rather as a contender as one of the worst fullbacks we've had (although I'll admit, Pearson was far worse).

I think Steggles' lasting cult appeal is because he played through luck (or rather Alan Webb's bad luck), rather than skill in one of Vale's greatest-ever 90 minutes.

Archived