onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best Port Vale XI you have seen

Angel of Burslem

[QUOT, E=Wereskintandweknowweare;1870358]Think many of you may have forgotten phil sproson

Sorry, I didn't realise we were meant to guess what Wereskintandweknowweare,s best 11would be.

Hey look was not asking you to guess my 11 just trying to prompt a few of you towards our second biggest appearance sproson may be worth a mention or at least bearing in mind.

It is always embarrassing when you remember a goalkeeper performing for one game a la Barry sjoke city siddall then you remember him showin his support for stoke city.

I did not realise we were meant to second guess what ******s sin bad would place on his bench

Advert

Ken Hancock

Bobby Thompson

John Nicholson

Roy sproson

Darren Hughes

John rowland

John Green

Ray Walker

Mark Chamberlain

Andy Jones

Bert Llewellyn

Hamilboy!I'm owd enough to remember all those and agree with most of your choice,especially that classy John Nicholson and John Green :yes:

1. Mussy

2.Hill

3. Tankard

4. Bogie

5. Walsh

6. Aspin

7. McCarthy

8. Cummins

9. Foyle

10. Naylor

11. Guppy

Almost certainly a few i've forgot there. Tbh, if Pope carries on how he is this season, he won't be far off my team. I've never seen a player perform like he has in a single season.

Ken Hancock

Bobby Thompson

John Nicholson

Roy sproson

Darren Hughes

John rowland

John Green

Ray Walker

Mark Chamberlain

Andy Jones

Bert Llewellyn

****** Hell Hamilboy.....some names to conjure with there....Johnny Rowland, what a player, John Green...two of my all time favourites...still conner make me mind up about favourite 11....Ron Wilson at LB, Johnny James up front...Jeez this is hard!

There's very little point trying to be controversial at these times, the records speak for themselves. I'll go:

Goodlad

(S)Mills Aspin Glover Tankard

McCarthy Porter Taylor Guppy

Foyle Naylor

Subs: Neal, Swan, Earle, Ainsworth, Beckford

-My first proper, full season was 1990 and so I only really got one full campaign (albeit after a few years of going to some matches) of Earle & Beckford, hence why they are on the bench.

- I missed Ray Walker out simply because I enjoyed watching Taylor play (I associate him & his two years with us with success & winning) and I think Andy Porter sums everything about Port Vale up. Not the classiest or most skillful but a fighter who played with his heart on his sleeve and never gave up. Oh and he didn't make the sub bench because Robbie Earle was alright wasn't he!

- I was torn between Tanks & Darren Hughes and I wish I could have squeezed in Slaven, Van Der Laan, John Jeffers, Bogie, Gardener and Sandeman

****** Hell Hamilboy.....some names to conjure with there....Johnny Rowland, what a player, John Green...two of my all time favourites...still conner make me mind up about favourite 11....Ron Wilson at LB, Johnny James up front...Jeez this is hard!

Yes there is some names sorry to miss out askey, jackson, cunliffe,poole, and ernie moss my all time favorite player though was john rowland very fast with a very hard shot,although as a young lad i always liked watching a little known left winger named Dennis fiddler those were the days.

I've been going since 1980 and my eleven is:

Goodlad

Mills

Aspin

Glover

Hughes

Ainsworth

Walker

Earle

Guppy

Foyle

Jones

I've also discounted Southall (although he was superb) as he was only on loan for a short time.

I'd have Taylor, Porter, Sproson (P), Beckford and Naylor on my subs bench

Boswell

Osborne, Delgado, Pollard, Pearson

Woolfall,Gore, Exodus, Proudlove

Owen, Davies(Geoff)

Tsk! Where's the dream full-back pairing of Ebanks and Steggles?

Although, I admit, Pearson is a good shout for the worst Vale player I have seen...

We seem to have had loads of awful fullbacks over the years - Agboola was pretty dreadful too.

Such a shame for Michael Walsh, as he really could have been an all time great if iy wasn't for injuries. Oh well, here goes...

Marc Goodlad

Neil Aspin

Anthony Gardner

Dean Glover

Allen Tankard

Jon McCarthy

Ian Taylor

Robin van der Laan

Steve Guppy

Martin Foyle

Tony Naylor

That's probably my favourite. A few toss ups on who to include/not include, but thats probably the best ive seen!! :)

Hard to leave Goober out though!

Boswell

Osborne, Delgado, Pollard, Pearson

Woolfall,Gore, Exodus, Proudlove

Owen, Davies(Geoff)

There have been far worse keepers than Boswell - Reg Edwards , Pearce, the idiot who played at Enfield (Cherry?).

McDonald would walk into that team. Honourable mention too for peter Farrell.

Tsk! Where's the dream full-back pairing of Ebanks and Steggles?

Although, I admit, Pearson is a good shout for the worst Vale player I have seen...

We seem to have had loads of awful fullbacks over the years - Agboola was pretty dreadful too.

Why do folk go on about Steggles so much ? His defensive work was OK but his distribution was woeful . Of course he was in the side that beat Tottenham and performed valiantly.

Ebanks was woeful all round.

Archived