onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Adams free hand

geosname

If I can bring you back to reality for just a second can you remember that over the summer we almost didn't have a club' date=' scraped some players together under the promise of Ryder's investment, almost lost them again having them put on rolling contracts whilst we started the season. Despite this turmoil, and also nowhere near having the top 3 largest playing budget in this division, we now find ourselves 2nd. Whilst I can accept the odd bit of balanced criticism for Adams (he needs to learn to play 3 midfielders at home to stop the home rot), how can you be so ridiculously critical? We have no God given right to go up, it is a very tough league this year, yet due to Micky's hard work in a time of turmoil we have somehow got a promotion chasing squad. We're 2nd in the league. What really is the problem?[/quote']

Pretty much sums it all up for me.

Advert

If I can bring you back to reality for just a second can you remember that over the summer we almost didn't have a club' date=' scraped some players together under the promise of Ryder's investment, almost lost them again having them put on rolling contracts whilst we started the season. Despite this turmoil, and also nowhere near having the top 3 largest playing budget in this division, we now find ourselves 2nd. Whilst I can accept the odd bit of balanced criticism for Adams (he needs to learn to play 3 midfielders at home to stop the home rot), how can you be so ridiculously critical? We have no God given right to go up, it is a very tough league this year, yet due to Micky's hard work in a time of turmoil we have somehow got a promotion chasing squad. We're 2nd in the league. What really is the problem?[/quote']

All very well but a lot of people who attended yesterday probably came partly because it was a "festive" game. They were there for the taking to attract them as regulars and we ****ed up big style. A loss of 1000 to 1500 fans when we drop to 4500 again is a loss of £10k to £20k per game plus merchandise. Thats a big hole to fill. 7500 my ****.

Smurf and Wildes were there yesterday and as far as I know go to all games. It's their club, not Adams' so if they feel(hopefully) that we need class replacements then surely they will liaise with the Manager to advise? If it is that Adams is serious in his belief that we are presently good enough for promotion then at the end of this season he will be judged. It may be too late for Vale fans then as we could well lose a golden opportunity here to capitalise on solid first half season points, especially allegedly now that we have funds available to improve on the playing side. The new owners will be here for some time but if we do not get promotion this time the vultures will circle and query Adams' longevity.

Spot on. Adams and his squad are playing for there futures imho.

If I can bring you back to reality for just a second can you remember that over the summer we almost didn't have a club' date=' scraped some players together under the promise of Ryder's investment, almost lost them again having them put on rolling contracts whilst we started the season. Despite this turmoil, and also nowhere near having the top 3 largest playing budget in this division, we now find ourselves 2nd. Whilst I can accept the odd bit of balanced criticism for Adams (he needs to learn to play 3 midfielders at home to stop the home rot), how can you be so ridiculously critical? We have no God given right to go up, it is a very tough league this year, yet due to Micky's hard work in a time of turmoil we have somehow got a promotion chasing squad. We're 2nd in the league. What really is the problem?[/quote']Why have you chosen not to comment on the first part of my post?. The failure to not get the registrations done on time was unforgiveable. I'm not blaming Micky Adams for this but surely there is a computer that can forward an email to the FL in the club.

What I getting at is how come after this debacle can Micky state yesterday that he hasn't spoken to the owners about new signings. I find it all too silly for words. In today's Sentinel Micky has said that he may need to bring in new players after all????

Adams should have a free hand on all 1st team footballing matters within a defined budget.

The board should have no say on who he picks to play or who he signs, as long as he says within the parameters of his agreed budget.

The club as a whole should have an overall youth policy that is outside of the control of the 1st team manager.

The OVF Jester agrees

The fact we have remained second despite a rather elongated "blip" in form suggests how crap this league is.

It is still League 2 so granted it's not the best league in the world. However, I think there's been easier seasons to achieve promotion than this one with the amount of realistic promotion contenders. There also isn't as many really awful teams as past seasons, these for me being Barnet, Wimbledon and Aldershot. There's a lot of sleeping giants at this level all expecting promotion this season and all with budgets to do so, ie Chesterfield, Rotherham, Bradford, Gillingham. You've also got teams who are usually strong at this level who may still have something to say such as Torquay, Exeter, Wycombe, and then you've got Fleetwood who have come straight from the Conference as one of the promotion favourites. It'll be very difficult to finish top 3 and it's why I can't really understand the levels of criticism aimed at Adams sometimes when we are sitting, still reasonably comfortably, in 2nd.

Personally I think adams should be given a budget and a criteria..... the criteria being what the owners want for the club..... he can sign who he wants within the budget and within the limitations of the criteria.... if he doesnt like it he knows where the door is.

I dont think he [adams] should have anything to do with youth development simply because I fear he cant handle it.... his comfort zone is old lags who have played for him before.... its harder to manage the enthusiasm of the young as opposed to the set ways of the travelers.

Ihave no intentions of entering into a long debate on the pros and cons but I will say this without fear of contradiction and that is Micky gave 2 years contracts to players that didn't deserve such long deals. Perhaps this was why the team has appeared a little threadbare.

And its also Micky that signed Neal, JMW, Vincent, Burge, Duffy et al who have all excelled this season. He has also adapted a system to work for Tom Pope, who most people would never have dreamed would hit 15+ goals in a season let alone 23 by the half way stage. He also brought Rob Page to the club and has made him a significant part of his management team.

I do however agree players such as Shuker, Taylor, Yates etc should not have been given 2 year contracts.

That said as George said this stupid idea that some have that its the players to credit when we win and Micky to blame when we lose is total and utter lunacy. Yes he has made mistakes in the last two home games, but the players in those games have laregly been shockingly poor. When we are poor we are very, very poor.

Archived