onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Future?

Andyregs

Classic.......now you're trying to get us onto your message board - Jeez, you'll be selling tckets for home games next!

Yes, that's why I did it. Not to show You that my input on this thread is nothing to do with rivalry and that in fact I'm putting my own club down on another thread for the exact reasons I'm commenting on this.

Yes agree entirely with what you are saying. However, you have the backing from PC and a fantastic fan base which financially should allow you to push on to that next level.

With regards the branding, Leeds & Forest will always be bigger clubs than say Wigan & Norwich, but at the moment no player would look at them given the choice.

Vales minimum has got to be promotion this season, what do you see as yours.

I don't think it will, to get to the level of Everton in the current time we need to win at least one league title. And that is as likely to happen as me pulling Charleze Theron. The Premier League is a closed shop unless You have a billionaire willing to wasted hundreds of millions or are Manchester United.

From the start of the season I want us to finish in the top 10 or with 50 points. A cup run would be nice too. With what we've spent I think it's realistic and will be disappointing if it isn't achieved.

Advert

Can we stop talking about Stoke?

Agree entirely with the original poster. We should be developing a long term plan and strategy that's centred around developing players like Crewe and having a set pattern of play like Swansea.

I know they get some stick on here but Crewe will for the forseeable future be financially sound because they sell players continually and they have the added benefit of the Crewe premium because players are known to be well educated and technicaly sound.

Also it places less reliance on the manager so if he does leave to go to a bigger club which is always very likely with us the problems the removal causes are reduced because the plan and structure are more important than the manager himself. Look at Swansea as the benchmark - Martinez helped to install it then Sousa came in followed by Rodgers and now Laudrup all took over and there was very little transition period because very little actually changed.

Whether these players are from the youth setup, non-league, Premier League, the Costa Del Sol it doesn't matter as long as we are developing players that we can sell onto bigger clubs this underpinned our most successful period in our modern history and I think everyone has lost sight of that.

We are now sound financially, with no debt for the first time in a generation it's time we start planning for the long term future.

Can we stop talking about Stoke?

Agree entirely with the original poster. We should be developing a long term plan and strategy that's centred around developing players like Crewe and having a set pattern of play like Swansea.

I know they get some stick on here but Crewe will for the forseeable future be financially sound because they sell players continually and they have the added benefit of the Crewe premium because players are known to be well educated and technicaly sound.

Also it places less reliance on the manager so if he does leave to go to a bigger club which is always very likely with us the problems the removal causes are reduced because the plan and structure are more important than the manager himself. Look at Swansea as the benchmark - Martinez helped to install it then Sousa came in followed by Rodgers and now Laudrup all took over and there was very little transition period because very little actually changed.

Whether these players are from the youth setup, non-league, Premier League, the Costa Del Sol it doesn't matter as long as we are developing players that we can sell onto bigger clubs this underpinned our most successful period in our modern history and I think everyone has lost sight of that.

We are now sound financially, with no debt for the first time in a generation it's time we start planning for the long term future.

OK Bud, back on topic, personally I don't want Port Vale to be developing youngsters and selling them for profit, I would much rather Port Vale developed players and used them to rise throughout the league to the highest possible position we can attain.

Crewe have been doing what they do for almost as long as I can recall and yet no other club has managed to do likewise to the same extent, and let's be fair, they've hardly used the cash to build a super team have they. Why then do we imagine Port Vale can do so?

I'm all for producing players through the youth ranks but that will take time, money and a lot of effort, hopefully we can build slowly and surely, then maybe, we could even be on a par with............(oops, sorry!).

OK Bud, back on topic, personally I don't want Port Vale to be developing youngsters and selling them for profit, I would much rather Port Vale developed players and used them to rise throughout the league to the highest possible position we can attain.

Crewe have been doing what they do for almost as long as I can recall and yet no other club has managed to do likewise to the same extent, and let's be fair, they've hardly used the cash to build a super team have they. Why then do we imagine Port Vale can do so?

I'm all for producing players through the youth ranks but that will take time, money and a lot of effort, hopefully we can build slowly and surely, then maybe, we could even be on a par with............(oops, sorry!).

I think it's an obvious a by product of having wanted players is having a good side, that is doing well and therefore climbing the football league.

It will take time, that is obvious but it has also taken time to have this gradual decline under the previous ownership but why not have a plan and structure rather than what we have had before, nothing and just plod along hoping for a plum cup tie like we have done for years.

No need to talk about Stoke, whilst they've got a sugar daddy their level will never be attainable that's why we have to be different and box clever to make up for the lack of resources.

No need to talk about Stoke' date=' whilst they've got a sugar daddy their level will never be attainable that's why we have to be different and box clever to make up for the lack of resources.[/quote']

I've said it before and I'm sure many others have too - I'd much rather watch Vale playing good, attractive, attacking football in a lower league than watch the dross they're serving up down the road, even though they are the 'bigger' club :yes:

I think it's an obvious a by product of having wanted players is having a good side, that is doing well and therefore climbing the football league.

It will take time, that is obvious but it has also taken time to have this gradual decline under the previous ownership but why not have a plan and structure rather than what we have had before, nothing and just plod along hoping for a plum cup tie like we have done for years.

No need to talk about Stoke, whilst they've got a sugar daddy their level will never be attainable that's why we have to be different and box clever to make up for the lack of resources.

I've never alluded to this 'plum cup tie' malarky and I personally don't go for 'sugar daddies' either. If Port Vale are to succeed then as far as I am concerned it MUST BE as a GOING CONCERN.

That means livng within our means, building slowly but surely. Yes, a 'nice' cup-tie is good for the coffers now and then bu it' far too infrequent and by no means something on which to build a future.

A youth team set-up, for all it's 'promise' is simply a pipe dream at the moment - Jesus, you only need to read a number of any of the Threads on the main page to see that 'established' players are being ridiculed.......how do you think a 17yr old trainee would fare with this lot.......one mistake and he'd be crucified (and that's not purely by those on OVF).

My earlier banter with another poster was merely a distraction for a boring Sunday afternoon - off topic I admit and somewhat a total waste of keyboard time. But it brings into perspective that we, as 'Little' Port Vale are 'where we are'. The point is, where do we go from here, how much will it cost, how long will it take and are we (as fans) prepared to give the people running the show the time to put this into place whilst at the same time, expecting them to win football matches on a week to week basis, whilst improving the first team and investing in the future on an equal basis ?

Archived