onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Future?

Andyregs

I wonder if the medium term plan (10years) should be to scout and develop the young talent that don't quite make the grade in the premiership? People moan the foreign talent doesn't give young Brits a chance. Perhaps this is the future role. Get a reputation for picking these players up and developing them in the same way Crewe do with the younger players. They will have had top coaching and education behind them, and it should be cheaper than developing players from a younger age. It would also be a bit unique in the way Crewe were 20 years ago?

Advert

Yeah true unfortunately that does seem to be the way its going concerning Premier league clubs but it would be nice to overtake league 1 and some Championship clubs within the next 5 years, yesterday showed how in the last 5-10 years we haven't even been able to compete with smaller clubs like Chesterfield, embarrasing really. But you never know for all we know Vale could be on a par or even above Stoke in ten years time, who would have foreseen these cirumstances in the 90s or Swansea's progress as recently as 2004-05. Vale are finally moving forward and Wildes knows a lot of very wealthy people. I seriously think the Vale will be back in the Championship by the end of this current decade.

This is the mentality I don't get. Barring a few years in the nineties when have the Vale been better than us? And that was only down to league position. In every respect we're the bigger club and barring something of a complete financial meltdown we alway will be irrespective of what division You're in. That's why I don't get why we were mentioned. But it is a good soundbite to Vale fans who think that way, playing the crowd as it were.

I don't know where You'll be, I see You as a lower league one club, flirting with promotion and relegation depending on how it goes.

I still think in time we'll be a Championship club with the same game of ups and downs.

And Crewe as an upper league 2 side.

That's what I'd group us in anyway historically and with a nod to the future.

I wonder if the medium term plan (10years) should be to scout and develop the young talent that don't quite make the grade in the premiership? People moan the foreign talent doesn't give young Brits a chance. Perhaps this is the future role. Get a reputation for picking these players up and developing them in the same way Crewe do with the younger players. They will have had top coaching and education behind them, and it should be cheaper than developing players from a younger age. It would also be a bit unique in the way Crewe were 20 years ago?

Yeah these are exactly the sort of lines we should be thinking along

Think its just the usual footy banter though mate, watched the Ole Gunnar Solksjaer interview yesterday and he mentioned City several times. Wildes even mention Crewe several times and how he was looking to base our youth development system on them etc...

We are where we are, location wise, there is no point in being blinkered. Our new owners are being realistic, with feasible plans. Things can always change, luck plays a big part in football, and targets can change with more ambitious plans. But for now an established L1 team will do for me, with the promise of playing in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

In a way is has always happened, Morsy came from Wolves, Malbon from Derby, Rickman from Spurs, etc. There will always be trickle down as not all students will make the grade, some never play pro or even part time. The thing is to get a reputation for developing ordinary players, and so attract our future players of a good standard.

In a way is has always happened, Morsy came from Wolves, Malbon from Derby, Rickman from Spurs, etc. There will always be trickle down as not all students will make the grade, some never play pro or even part time. The thing is to get a reputation for developing ordinary players, and so attract our future players of a good standard.

But we didn't develop these players. We aren't seen as the team that these players look to knowing they will progress. Mallon was let go, richman didn't make the grade and morsy is ostracised from the team. Of course we take these players, but that is only a tiny part of the whole process.

This is the mentality I don't get. Barring a few years in the nineties when have the Vale been better than us? And that was only down to league position. In every respect we're the bigger club and barring something of a complete financial meltdown we alway will be irrespective of what division You're in. That's why I don't get why we were mentioned. But it is a good soundbite to Vale fans who think that way, playing the crowd as it were.

I don't know where You'll be, I see You as a lower league one club, flirting with promotion and relegation depending on how it goes.

I still think in time we'll be a Championship club with the same game of ups and downs.

And Crewe as an upper league 2 side.

That's what I'd group us in anyway historically and with a nod to the future.

Yeah think you made some decent points but for all we know Vale could one day be the subject of mega investment win a major trophy then I think they would be on par with Stoke imho. Afterall with the greatest of respect Stoke arnt exactly a titan of the English game with a blostoming trophy cabinet, full to the brim with Champions league trophies like Forest, hence the larger gap between teams such as forest and county. Never mind though that comparison is irrelevant and the talk about mega investment in Vale is speculative and merely academic but football is an unpredictable game and you can never say that Vale will always be the bad relation for eternity, classic example City- United, for years city were the bad relation for years, for example the year city were scraping past Gillingham in the L1 playoffs United were winning the treble. At the time United fans probably were saying similar things to city fans... along the lines of you'll never be as big as us now etc. Fast forward to 2012 and City have beaten United 6-1 and went into todays game as favourites, and in 1999 United fans would have been in histerics at the thought of mega investment in City. Ano were talking about bigger clubs here but City and probably also a much bigger club than Stoke. When we were both in the same league, yes Stoke were still a bigger club but not astronomically bigger, probably about the same as us and Crewe now. A few thousand extra on the gates and Englands second trophy (the league cup). Guess my point is even though Stoke are a bigger club it would be very naieve or blinkered to suggest that this will be the case for ever and ever, considering this city has two clubs for the next 150 years +. For the record I think Vale are an upper L1, lower championship club, this is where history shows we've spent the majority of our history placed.

Yeah think you made some decent points but for all we know Vale could one day be the subject of mega investment win a major trophy then I think they would be on par with Stoke imho. Afterall with the greatest of respect Stoke arnt exactly a titan of the English game with a blostoming trophy cabinet, full to the brim with Champions league trophies like Forest, hence the larger gap between teams such as forest and county. Never mind though that comparison is irrelevant and the talk about mega investment in Vale is speculative and merely academic but football is an unpredictable game and you can never say that Vale will always be the bad relation for eternity, classic example City- United, for years city were the bad relation for years, for example the year city were scraping past Gillingham in the L1 playoffs United were winning the treble. At the time United fans probably were saying similar things to city fans... along the lines of you'll never be as big as us now etc. Fast forward to 2012 and City have beaten United 6-1 and went into todays game as favourites, and in 1999 United fans would have been in histerics at the thought of mega investment in City. Ano were talking about bigger clubs here but City and probably also a much bigger club than Stoke. When we were both in the same league, yes Stoke were still a bigger club but not astronomically bigger, probably about the same as us and Crewe now. A few thousand extra on the gates and Englands second trophy (the league cup). Guess my point is even though Stoke are a bigger club it would be very naieve or blinkered to suggest that this will be the case for ever and ever, considering this city has two clubs for the next 150 years +. For the record I think Vale are an upper L1, lower championship club, this is where history shows we've spent the majority of our history placed.

With all respect that's pie in the sky at best and a whole lot of expletives interjected with laughter at worse.

And we haven't but in terms of everything we're a bigger than the Vale and always have been. It would take a massive shift and for a good number of the populous of the region to change their alliances for that to happen. It may do but realistically what are the chances? It's this sort of attitude I was alluding to and I find mystifying.

And history shows (I think) that we've spent more time in the top flight than any other league but I don't think for one second that we're a bigger club than some that are lower than us. We are what we are.

The only concern for me is would Adams be the manager to bring Academy players into the first team

He reminds me of our Tone in this respect.

I think there are good points made in these posts. The problem is that Crewe have the links, the coaches and the facilities and we don't. Stoke have spent loads and still can't match Crewe which is proof that youth talent doesn't happen if you just throw loads at it.

I'm not sure how we find that magical answer to the future, but we need something.

I think there are good points made in these posts. The problem is that Crewe have the links, the coaches and the facilities and we don't. Stoke have spent loads and still can't match Crewe which is proof that youth talent doesn't happen if you just throw loads at it.

I'm not sure how we find that magical answer to the future, but we need something.

I think we're slowly getting there. We just need a few more to come through the system now to prove that theory right. These things take time though.

With all respect that's pie in the sky at best and a whole lot of expletives interjected with laughter at worse.

And we haven't but in terms of everything we're a bigger than the Vale and always have been. It would take a massive shift and for a good number of the populous of the region to change their alliances for that to happen. It may do but realistically what are the chances? It's this sort of attitude I was alluding to and I find mystifying.

And history shows (I think) that we've spent more time in the top flight than any other league but I don't think for one second that we're a bigger club than some that are lower than us. We are what we are.

?

Archived