Refs. fitness levels.

PVTony

George Courtney (Spennymoor) always used to have it in for us. I hated him. Even more than I hated Roger Milford (Weston-Super-Mare) and Vic Callow (Solihull).

Courtney was biased. Never forget a game at West Brom where he gave two penalties against us and a free kick against Grewy for holding the ball too long.

Advert:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too many foriegners ruining the English game and influencing young lads. We should break away from FIFA and adopt the 1950's rules where you only got booked if the oppponent looked like he was dying and a sent off if you attempted to kill more than two people. Physios should only be allowed to pour icy water on them as well.

Why not a bucket of **** and a sponge, soon get up if they saw that coming:):):)

I'm a little disappointed in most of the comments on this thread. Yes we know that many players have over sized heads and take liberties but that is another topic.

The fact is many of the refs we get in the lowest level of the football league is frighteningly poor. Fact.

Advert:

Advert:

Im a ref of over 10yrs experience.and had the experience of being a lino for stoke u18s vs liverpool(included sterling.wisdom n morgon!!) n vs spurs..n vs crewe.also same at vale.

One thing that you dnt get till amongst it...is how lightening fast it is.

And they 1st teams are faster!!!

Few points on this.

I feel fans need understand how fast it it is,and how a ref needs to make a decision..at this pace.

Also i agree with micky..refs do need be fitter,so its a good option to become pro refs..(who pays tho)??...big difference from.prem n football league.

Lastly i totally disagree abt players becoming better refs,they will still have to apply the laws like normal refs.and have same view on the pitch as well.

If they can b better...why only 1 that i know of has taken it up n got to the league??....too much hassle maybe??

After being a referee Iknew a lot about the rules by playing football and was still surprised when I did the course. However, because I was still playing I could see both the player's view and my view as a referee.... I often got praised by managers for letting games flow and going back to an incident and I felt this was due to that I knew how I felt when the game was stopped when I was playing a match. For me Steve Davis' comments (from the article the other day) was correct and more people who play/played football should take up refereeing when they stop playing as they understand a lot more and good create a better performance from the officials.

I'm a little disappointed in most of the comments on this thread. Yes we know that many players have over sized heads and take liberties but that is another topic.

The fact is many of the refs we get in the lowest level of the football league is frighteningly poor. Fact.

Fair enough, a ref should always strive to be well prepared mentally and physically for any league. Unfortunately, last year, 70% of referees , from park refs to the football league, quit the game . The majority said that the abuse from players , parents , fans , was too much , and not worth it anymore. So, it goes beyond taking liberties os . It's all well and good to be fit and ready to officiate , but it's the other stuff that makes so many want to quit. So, as a result of that , many of the remaining 30% are fast-tracked up the leagues if they have the desire to do so. By the time they reach L2 , they've been through a fair amount in the lower leagues, with abuse from fans a lot easier for them to hear in a small ground , and a small crowd. They decide to stay in L2 , and not bother with all the politics of the higher divisions, and all the rest. Finally, it's a whole different picture when you're on the pitch , as opposed to being in the stand. Sorry to go on a bit, but you're right , the standard needs to be the highest it can be.

Too many foriegners ruining the English game and influencing young lads. We should break away from FIFA and adopt the 1950's rules where you only got booked if the oppponent looked like he was dying and a sent off if you attempted to kill more than two people. Physios should only be allowed to pour icy water on them as well.

Ha ha ha, I like that.

Advert:

Bit narrow-minded to blame it on foreigners.

Gerrard? Shearer? Young?...to name a few consistent cheats...

I can't remember being critical of the fitness of the referees in recent years, maybe the odd one. Given the age difference we can't expect them to show the same level of sprinting speed as a current professional footballer. I also don't think we should discriminate against women who are obviously inherently slower than men. They just need to be adequate and in some circumstances being too close to play cuts down the ability to pan the game and see incidents away from the ball.

Archived