onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Luck in management

tonyh

Obviously, MA is doing a great job, but he's had 3 great strokes of luck;

He wanted Stuart Tomlinson to sign a new contract. He wouldn't so we had to sign Chris Neal, who was strangely released by Shrewsbury.

He wanted Marc Richards, but he went for greener pastures, so he had to play Popey up front. This was what a lot of supporters wanted after we we top scorers at the start of last season, when Richards was injured.

I'm a Sean Rigg fan. MA wanted him to stay, but he went to Oxford. We got Ashley Vincent. I'm not sure "he's better than Rigg", but it hasn't worked out badly.

Add to that the form of Clayton McDonald. He was last in the pecking order behind Artell, Owen and Davis. Artell jumped ship, Owen got injured and Davis had a mare against Burnley.

??????

We would have signed Neal anyway....

Vincent is a far better player than rigg I don't understand how you can say rigg is better.

Had no luck at all it's just the transfer window and good management, helping popey get fit, bringing McDonald on to a decent centre half.....

Advert

So what is the point of this thread?

obviously, ma is doing a great job, but he's had 3 great strokes of luck;

he wanted stuart tomlinson to sign a new contract. He wouldn't so we had to sign chris neal, who was strangely released by shrewsbury.

He wanted marc richards, but he went for greener pastures, so he had to play popey up front. This was what a lot of supporters wanted after we we top scorers at the start of last season, when richards was injured.

I'm a sean rigg fan. Ma wanted him to stay, but he went to oxford. We got ashley vincent. I'm not sure "he's better than rigg", but it hasn't worked out badly.

Add to that the form of clayton mcdonald. He was last in the pecking order behind artell, owen and davis. Artell jumped ship, owen got injured and davis had a mare against burnley.

I've said it for years and years......certain players 'gel' really well with certain other players in one particular team and they all 'shine' as a result.

The problem then is that certain of those players believe they will also 'shine' elsewhere.....usually on far more money - trouble is they don't.

Micky has gelled a squad together that is probably exceeding ALL expectations and long may it continue - I only hope the players realise what they can achieve HERE, at the Vale and don't jump ship at the first opportunity. Obviously it's the job of the new board/management to try and convince them that Vale is on the up and to offer contracts suitable to our cause.

In the meantime.....I can only watch in total awe the effort, skill, heart etc. on the pitch - KEEP IT UP LADS.

There's a lot who think that Micky is a lucky manager - lucky he's got Rob Page as his no. 2.

I don't necessarily agree with that but I do think we have a good combination - Rob Page's footballing brain and Micky's passion. They could end up being the new Clough and Taylor.

I've said it for years and years......certain players 'gel' really well with certain other players in one particular team and they all 'shine' as a result.

The problem then is that certain of those players believe they will also 'shine' elsewhere.....usually on far more money - trouble is they don't.

Micky has gelled a squad together that is probably exceeding ALL expectations and long may it continue - I only hope the players realise what they can achieve HERE, at the Vale and don't jump ship at the first opportunity. Obviously it's the job of the new board/management to try and convince them that Vale is on the up and to offer contracts suitable to our cause.

In the meantime.....I can only watch in total awe the effort, skill, heart etc. on the pitch - KEEP IT UP LADS.

A great post B.H. Fred.

What a daft thread. Let's play down our manager's hard work, our new players (who are far better quality than the previous lot) and put the whole thing down to luck.

The mind boggles! :doh:

man utd get a lot of luck but by me saying that does that mean I'm playing down sir Alex Fergusons achievements??? If u read the thread again the blokes opening line praises MA hard work. I for one think we deserve the luck we have had so far but over a season it evens itself out.

It was lucky that Ryder came in when he did because if there was no buissness plan there would of been no approval to sign the players we have.

Wonder if that was the plan all along..get a plan in place, CVA, bit of dougyh to get certain things done etc etc and then get the proper buyer in

Myrie-Williams seems to be a classic case of this. He just seems to fit in here.

MA has been skilful in having back-up plans in place for players to sign, if his original targets failed to sign.

I forgot about Griff. I was a fan of his, but now we have midfielders who can pass the ball too.

Oxford Made 5 changes and I think Rigg was 1 of them and they won 5 0.

Rigg played all 90+ minutes.

He played well for us at the start of last season in combination with Pope, then he got shunted out to the wing, when Richards came back.

Archived