onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Flags of old

FRITTER

Advert

I remember that flag Fritter.

Good work.

For the uninitiated - Jimmy Greaves gave us hell after our return to League 1 (Championship), basically said we didn't deserve to be there. Fritter's flag was as a response to that.

That is a fantastic flag and come back, BUT the champiosnhip is what was Division one, League One is the level of of what was Division Two at the time.

I remember that flag Fritter.

Good work.

For the uninitiated - Jimmy Greaves gave us hell after our return to League 1 (Championship), basically said we didn't deserve to be there. Fritter's flag was as a response to that.

I remember infact how anti vale him and francis used to be. What was their problems with vale in those days ? It seemed like everyone was against vale to me. Yet other small clubs since then have been praised for punching above their weight. Can't ever remember any negative comments against crewe for instance.

I remember infact how anti vale him and francis used to be. What was their problems with vale in those days ? It seemed like everyone was against vale to me. Yet other small clubs since then have been praised for punching above their weight. Can't ever remember any negative comments against crewe for instance.

Yes your right,it did seem everyone was against us. I remember beating wolves at wolves,all the talk was about how wolves lost and not in how vale won...Greaves was blabbing on about how wolves should be beating teams like the vale...grrrrr

Although i do remember Bob Hall calling us "The regular wreckers of reputation" which made me smile :)

• 3 weeks later...

We used to have a PORT VALE flag that came out every home game in the Bycars end and at every away game we go. I remember one in particular, Newcastle United away in the FA Cup. We got the flag out passed it around, then noticed the old bill making their way towards us and feared it would be confiscated. They instead told us that they had enjoyed seeing it ang liked it but asked us not to get it out again as the Geordie lads were not allowed to have such things. Shortly afterwards though they had their famous huge flag with a Newcastle shirt on it.

One of my biggest regrets was that on the journey home, having pulled in at some services to have a break from the fog near Blackburn, we saw the Vale team bus (it had stopped presumably to drop off Chris Sutton) and didn't get the flag out for a photo with lads!

There was the massive one that Beza had at White Hart in Tunstall .Brilliant flag and ****** heavy when packed away in its bag!!!!
tell me about it broth, it was certainly heavy when it was soaking wet down Brighton. Going

to get the cobwebs off it and hump it to game very soon.

Used to love Greaves and that Tony Francis being brought down a peg or two on Central Match Live. I remember Greaves predictions in 96/97, Derby and Vale to get relegated. Derby went up and we finished 8th just missing the playoffs! Francis also clearly hated Vale and used to make a few derogatory remarks. I remember a fan writing in once to complain and it was read out!

Another one was when we played Birmingham on a sunday at St Andrews, they were creaming themselves over B'ham's players in the pre match analysis. Glover n Porter(with a stunner) scored and we won 2-1! Their faces were a picture afterwards!

Used to love it in the Championship when managers used to say "We ought to be beating teams like Port Vale" - usually having been beaten by us, or played off the park by us, or both. Trevor Francis said it after that Birmingham game, and lots of the so called big names "didn't like it up 'em". Greaves was a fossil - couldn't take the new order of clubs like us being upwardly mobile. Favourite flag was "White Hart Slain" after we dumped Venables and Tottenham out of the Cup. Andy Gray seemed to warm to us as a commentator under Rudge, and Alan Brazil on commentary was president of the Tony Naylor fan club - so we did have some support in the media. But Central TV will always be Villa Baggies Wolves Sjoke Brum and smaller teams will get patronised.

Back in the days we were really successful Central and Granada used to fght over us as we are on the borders of both - just like now when neither of them want to know us.....our day will come again !

As for Championship managers believing we should just roll over I remember thraping Millwall 3-0 away and their manager went ballistic - can't remember who it was.......McGee/McCarthy?

We beat Millwall 2-1 at the New Den in a game they were expected to win comfortably as their new Russian international signings were making their debuts.

Mick McCarthy was disgusted that they'd lost to us and said in his post match interview "Port Vale are not a good team". Two weeks later we drew against Everton at Goodison. Millwall were relegated.

Archived