onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

great influences on you

mr burslem

Some of the simplest music is the best. Complexity does not equal quality.

Some of the great blues guitarists can mesmerise with 4 notes (maybe less) whereas someone like Steve Vai with all the skill and technique in the world can produce cold soulless music that whilst impressive isn't for me enjoyable to listen to. I'd rather read short poem by Wilfred owen than anything by JK Rowling

I really liked Appetite but if only UYI had been one single album it would have been absolutely mind blowing

Advert

I'm an idiot. London Calling is a bag of ****, like all the Clash's stuff. The Clash are to the Sex Pistols, what Cliff Richards was to Elvis. The prefered punk band of the North London elite. Which means, they weren't a punk band at all. Ramones, Buzzcocks, Pistols, Penetration, Spex, Siouxsie, Vibrators, 999... now they were punk bands. My guitar playing was mostly influenced by the late great John McGeogh. He really had talent. Unfortunately I didn't.

You are an idiot : )

Good to see your fixation with North London Punks are still at the fore, weren't they West London ; )

I always thought The Clash were real, broader in talent and an evolution from the pub rock scene unlike the Sex Pistols (70's Simon Cowell-esque creation), who out of that whole list probably the only band I don't care for.

For me

Joe Strummer (and not just to annoy Mr Attitude above)

Shane MacGowan (Poetical Genius)

Swill & Cush from the Men They Couldn't Hang

Wiz (Mega City Four)

Mensi (Angelic Upstarts) - First non main stream punk band was into along with Toy Dolls.

Also loved the Jam, Purple Hearts, The Who, AC/DC. Motorhead, Maiden, and stacks of Motown as a young kid.

Even though born in the early 60's my music was the glam rock era. However as I came to appreciate what I believe was good and not, the biggest person that could move me with the voice and personality was none other than the Man in Black, The Big O.

Still regularly listen to all his music and the DVD he did in Monochrome I thought was brilliant. Every time I hear "It's Over" i have to turn it up, and it gets the hairs on the back of me neck on end. That voice is something else. A true inspiration.

Archived