onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

great influences on you

mr burslem

Advert

Difford and Tilbrook

I forgot Squeeze

I'm going to add Angus and Malcolm Young (AC/DC) as from them I learned that simplicity is sometimes all that is required

and

I cannot leave out Queen..their albums up to and including Jazz contained some beautifully constructed songs...You Take My Breath Away, 39, It's Late, Spread Your Wings, etc etc. Not hits, not even amongst their best known songs but just so well put together and taught me that a tune is sooooo important

For me it wasn't a particular musician that inspired or influenced me but rather a genre/"style" of music. .

My favourite genre is folk-rock (I dont particularly like the finger in the ear traditional stuff as much). These are not the stadium posers that a lot of people adore but decent down to earth beer drinking chaps. Particularly at smaller venues , you get to meet , and chat to, and sometimes share a pint with, your heroes on a regular basis. This certainly adds to the experience .

By far the most amusing was Dave Swarbrick - his obituary was printed in error in the Daily Telgraph in the late 90's, and a few years ago I got him to sign and personalise a copy for me. He was playing a gig in a wheelchair connected to an oxygen tank at the time prior to a double lung and heart transplant! He's still playing now, and although he can no longer sing he tells some mean jokes and stories, the one last month about bringing lemons back from Australia brought tears to the eyes!

london calling is the best album ever made. you can quote me on that. if you doubt me, check these tunes out. if you still doubt me, you're an idiot

I'm an idiot. London Calling is a bag of ****, like all the Clash's stuff. The Clash are to the Sex Pistols, what Cliff Richards was to Elvis. The prefered punk band of the North London elite. Which means, they weren't a punk band at all. Ramones, Buzzcocks, Pistols, Penetration, Spex, Siouxsie, Vibrators, 999... now they were punk bands. My guitar playing was mostly influenced by the late great John McGeogh. He really had talent. Unfortunately I didn't.

My favourite genre is folk-rock (I dont particularly like the finger in the ear traditional stuff as much). These are not the stadium posers that a lot of people adore but decent down to earth beer drinking chaps. Particularly at smaller venues , you get to meet , and chat to, and sometimes share a pint with, your heroes on a regular basis. This certainly adds to the experience .

By far the most amusing was Dave Swarbrick - his obituary was printed in error in the Daily Telgraph in the late 90's, and a few years ago I got him to sign and personalise a copy for me. He was playing a gig in a wheelchair connected to an oxygen tank at the time prior to a double lung and heart transplant! He's still playing now, and although he can no longer sing he tells some mean jokes and stories, the one last month about bringing lemons back from Australia brought tears to the eyes!

You should get yourself down to Sidmouth Folk Week (if you haven't previously). Live music all over the place, from well known acts to guys just busking with their lute (is that the right spelling) and of course morris dancers everywhere

it's brilliant

I'm an idiot. London Calling is a bag of ****, like all the Clash's stuff. The Clash are to the Sex Pistols, what Cliff Richards was to Elvis. The prefered punk band of the North London elite. Which means, they weren't a punk band at all. Ramones, Buzzcocks, Pistols, Penetration, Spex, Siouxsie, Vibrators, 999... now they were punk bands. My guitar playing was mostly influenced by the late great John McGeogh. He really had talent. Unfortunately I didn't.

i like most of those bands you mention ramones, vibrators, x ray spex, buzzcocks along with loads more.

but really? the sex pistols better than the clash?! should stick to making adverts for butter that *****

Are people posting influences or just music that they like?

There is mucho pop/rock music that I like but it's no influence on my playing nor writing or any other aspect of my life.

I am a big fan of Motown but no influence on me (other than they may have influenced those who have influenced me)

I agree to be honest. My father in law swears by the clash and how that music is the best in the world. He wont have it when I explain to him that its the simplest music to play! I like something a little classier and more interesting. GN'R for example, great interplay between Slash and Izzy! He describes that as "American rubbish!". Each to their own eh?!

Archived