onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

great influences on you

mr burslem

Good evening, music fans.

Whether you're just a fan, or perhaps active in music as well, who has influenced you most? (It may be a different answer than you'd give for you favourite musician, but we'll see.)

For me, as a fan (sorry to anyone who's young, and/or doesn't know who the hell I'm on about), it'd have to be - to name two - Jerry Garcia, of The Grateful Dead, or Joni Mitchell: Garcia for the openness and adventurousness of the music and the songs; Mitchell for the power and emotional charge of all her work.

I also write and sing, and am told it sounds like Jackson Browne; but it doesn't to me! I think, if you play or sing, you're influenced by hundreds of things. (For example, Cyndi Lauper's 'True Colours' has just come on TV; it's ****** lovely).

Who inspires YOU?

Advert

For me it wasn't a particular musician that inspired or influenced me but rather a genre/"style" of music. As a kid I liked some of The Beatles and Spencer Davis Group's music but on going to the Torch and Wheel I grew to really enjoy Motown and Northern Soul, particularly the tunes and melodies of the songs which are absolutely terrific. Later I started to listen to Classical music, Opera and Operette and I enjoy the stuff from the romantic era as its full of wonderful melodies and tunes, just like Soul music. A Darrell Banks/Jackie Wilson balad has the same effect on me as the aria "Dein ist mein ganzes herz" form Lehar's Land of Smiles or the Trumpet (Flugelhorn) Solo from the 3rd movement of Mahler's 3rd symphony.

For me it wasn't a particular musician that inspired or influenced me but rather a genre/"style" of music. As a kid I liked some of The Beatles and Spencer Davis Group's music but on going to the Torch and Wheel I grew to really enjoy Motown and Northern Soul, particularly the tunes and melodies of the songs which are absolutely terrific. Later I started to listen to Classical music, Opera and Operette and I enjoy the stuff from the romantic era as its full of wonderful melodies and tunes, just like Soul music. A Darrell Banks/Jackie Wilson balad has the same effect on me as the aria "Dein ist mein ganzes herz" form Lehar's Land of Smiles or the Trumpet (Flugelhorn) Solo from the 3rd movement of Mahler's 3rd symphony.

I'm the same. My poor wife accompanied me to two classical concerts at the Victoria Hall last winter, because I'd always wanted to see if I'd 'get' classical music in performance, but it took about five seconds of an opening crescendo to realise (or maybe 'remember' is a better word) that music's music, whatever the genre. Classical's not my field, but Vaughan Williams' stuff really gets to me, as does a lot of Bach.

You probably know that the young Steve Winwood's first hero, to the point of imitating his voice, was Ray Charles. (We all wanted to be either young Mr. Winwood or Steve Marriott; they were not only talented and made women swoon, but they were clearly also mods!)

I'm the same. My poor wife accompanied me to two classical concerts at the Victoria Hall last winter, because I'd always wanted to see if I'd 'get' classical music in performance, but it took about five seconds of an opening crescendo to realise (or maybe 'remember' is a better word) that music's music, whatever the genre. Classical's not my field, but Vaughan Williams' stuff really gets to me, as does a lot of Bach.

You probably know that the young Steve Winwood's first hero, to the point of imitating his voice, was Ray Charles. (We all wanted to be either young Mr. Winwood or Steve Marriott; they were not only talented and made women swoon, but they were clearly also mods!)

The music I just don't get is the "angry" music, angry rock and punk rock in particular, although there are songs I like from both genres. Likewise, I don't get modern classical music, the atonal stuff with no tunes, I've listened to it but I just don't get it.

The music I just don't get is the "angry" music, angry rock and punk rock in particular, although there are songs I like from both genres. Likewise, I don't get modern classical music, the atonal stuff with no tunes, I've listened to it but I just don't get it.

And the generation before you didn't get the music of the sixties and seventies as it was loud, distracting, frivolous, rebellious etc.

And the generation before you didn't get the music of the sixties and seventies as it was loud, distracting, frivolous, rebellious etc.

It isn't a generational issue, just the opposite, I grew up with rock and punk music and much atonal classical music has been written since the 1950's.

When I started playing geetar in the early 80s it was the likes of Iron Maiden, Def leppard, Saxon, AC/DC and then the Thrash stuff. Then I caught up with Purple, Zep, Sabbath

But that's what got me into music as opposed to really being an influence on my playing as over time I got more into songwriting than actual playing...the guitar became a tool for writing songs

Ray Davies, Mark Knopfler, Pete Townshend, Paul Weller , Robert Smith, Hall and Oates and even Gary Barlow..basically bands that had a strong songwriter

Rather a good musical joke springs to mind.

Eric Clapton, Joe Strummer and Paul McCartney are captured by cannibals. Before being eaten, each has a last request.

McCartney asks for a piano, in order to play 'Let It Be', one last time.

Clapton asks for an acoustic guitar, to do the same with 'Wonderful Tonight.'

What's your request, Strummer?' ask the cannibals.

'Eat me first.'

I like that, and I don't even care much for Punk!

london calling is the best album ever made. you can quote me on that. if you doubt me, check these tunes out. if you still doubt me, you're an idiot

(i think they robbed this one from rizzle kicks cos it sounds well like 'when i was a youngster')

the fact i haven't even included rudie can't fail or spanish bombs shows just how strong the record is

the biggest influence on my love of music mmmmmmm now thats a tough one i always enjoyed the glam rock days even though i was only 5 or 6 at the time but from the mid 70's brian may, ritchie blackmore and the legend himself steve harris molded my musical tastes and the vocals of the likes of ozzy and biff, i could go on and on

Archived