onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League 2 fullbacks who impressed last season...

bobbymanc

OK. I've been consistantly frustrated by the flack that certain players get from our support. Some of the ignorant comments about Popes contribution have been appalling. Another who seems to take flack without viable alternatives is Yates.

So I go out to you and ask which League 2 fullbacks impressed you playing against Vale this season? I'll be honest, only a few made me sit up and think "yes, he could do a job for the Vale". The vast majority were utter dross to the extent that very few games went by where the opportunity to laugh hysterically at a mistake occured.

Around 40 full backs (give or take for formation changes etc) pull up their socks each weekend in League 2. I'd challenge anyone to find 15 fullbacks who played last season who make Yates only an "average league 2 player".

I'll get the ball rolling; Dean Howell. He was very composed playing against Vale, and caused us problems going forward too. I'd be more than happy to see him pull on a Vale shirt. It's just a shame that he's signed for Fleetwood after being released by Crawley at the end of the season. I bet we'd have had a sniff around if we weren't under a signing embargo, being a local lad and all...

Advert

I think a lot of the time genuine expertise at full back gets overlooked at League Two level in favour of utility players or players who can do a job out of position.

We spent most of the season with Loft and Rob Taylor playing at LB. Shrews had Matt Richards at LB when we played there who I never had down as a LB.

A decent footballer at this level is probably wasted at full back.

A decent footballer at this level is probably wasted at full back.

Vale full backs get so much of the ball every week at home its scary that they do nothing with it. Not knocking Yates as such but he gets the ball endless times in front of the paddock and has not got a clue what to do with it.

Loft on the other side knows how to use the ball because hes a midfielder and is comfortable on the ball.

In my view, a good footballing right/left back with the ability to pass the ball when he gets over the half way line and start atacks off is what we need.

OK. I've been consistantly frustrated by the flack that certain players get from our support. Some of the ignorant comments about Popes contribution have been appalling. Another who seems to take flack without viable alternatives is Yates.

So I go out to you and ask which League 2 fullbacks impressed you playing against Vale this season? I'll be honest, only a few made me sit up and think "yes, he could do a job for the Vale". The vast majority were utter dross to the extent that very few games went by where the opportunity to laugh hysterically at a mistake occured.

Around 40 full backs (give or take for formation changes etc) pull up their socks each weekend in League 2. I'd challenge anyone to find 15 fullbacks who played last season who make Yates only an "average league 2 player".

I'll get the ball rolling; Dean Howell. He was very composed playing against Vale, and caused us problems going forward too. I'd be more than happy to see him pull on a Vale shirt. It's just a shame that he's signed for Fleetwood after being released by Crawley at the end of the season. I bet we'd have had a sniff around if we weren't under a signing embargo, being a local lad and all...

Dean Howell was absolute garbage down at Crawley. We were laughing at how bad he was at one point.

To be fair ive never rated Deano as well. I played with him at Stoke City for 3 years and he was a winger then. He can get forward but his defending is shocking.

Still he's made a career out of it and will be on decent money at Fleetwood you would imagine so good luck again.

Also from Burton.

Vale full backs get so much of the ball every week at home its scary that they do nothing with it. Not knocking Yates as such but he gets the ball endless times in front of the paddock and has not got a clue what to do with it.

Loft on the other side knows how to use the ball because hes a midfielder and is comfortable on the ball.

In my view, a good footballing right/left back with the ability to pass the ball when he gets over the half way line and start atacks off is what we need.

The amount of space full backs get in div 2 is unreal, especially when we see it at the Vale.

Apart from when Roberts was in the team and he went to find the ball all the time, our full backs have so much possession its unreal. If not attacking then on the half way line. Full backs MUST be capable of using the ball. Yates is very poor at this. I remember one game where he put in 4 / 5 crosses in the first half - brilliant. Most games its one or two and poor quality at that.

To me Loft had the best games as a right full back for the Vale since Simon Mills, who also was never a defender.

Full backs must be able to create.

While we are at it , after the full backs its worth mentioning how much of the ball our center backs get. Again without much skill we waste the ball time and time again. Whether it be Mccombe Owen Mcdonald, it soesnt matter , there distribution is terrible.

I believe teams sit back and let our back four have the ball , knowing there will never be any danger ?

Izak Reid

Sido Jombatti

Sean Clohessy

Ben Herd

Paul Caddis

Damien Batt

I'd go with those, Caddis is too good for this level. Reid always seems a bit ropey defensively but can certainly get up and down the flank.

Would love to have Jermaine Grandison in the side as well. Danny Jackman is a quality footballer that plays left-back - but with someone like him you lose out in other aspects, as he's 5'4.

Crewe fans seem to think Tootle is great, but I've never seen why, whenever I've seen him.

Archived