onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Top Scorers

osprey

Within all the replacing rico threads not sure if the issue of top scorers has been mentioned

if you look at the attached link i think it is noticeable that most of the top seven teams did not figure that highly with individual top scorers

link http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/scorers/_/league/eng.4/english-league-two?cc=5739

from that you could deduce that having goals shared amongst the team is more important than having one high scoring individual - in fact that just having one man scoring the majority of the goals can actual be negative for the team

Advert

Within all the replacing rico threads not sure if the issue of top scorers has been mentioned

if you look at the attached link i think it is noticeable that most of the top seven teams did not figure that highly with individual top scorers

link http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/scorers/_/league/eng.4/english-league-two?cc=5739

from that you could deduce that having goals shared amongst the team is more important than having one high scoring individual - in fact that just having one man scoring the majority of the goals can actual be negative for the team

That's what I have posted in another thread about Pope not scoring enough goals. Its a problem throughout the whole squad and not just down to 1 player.

Not quite the conclusion I was reading, Andy. Just a point that we don't have to rely on one player. At times, Richards has carried the team and without him we'd have been useless. We don't necessarily need a Leon/McPhee/Richards to go up, 4/5 15+ scorers could also work and perhaps (given the stats) work better/be more likely.

Not quite the conclusion I was reading, Andy. Just a point that we don't have to rely on one player. At times, Richards has carried the team and without him we'd have been useless. We don't necessarily need a Leon/McPhee/Richards to go up, 4/5 15+ scorers could also work and perhaps (given the stats) work better/be more likely.

Maybe not, but having a player banging the goals in isn't a bad thing. And that player leaving doesnt necessarily mean that that players like Williamson and pope will start scoring more (obviously I hope they do). If we want more goals around the side then Micky needs to bring in some quality midfielders.

I find 2 things interesting.

1 no team has 2 strikers with 30 goals between them. Has the role of the front 2 changed as defences have got better organised.

2 there is a far better link between teams final league position and the number of assists there top 2 on the assists table have. Maybe the more valuable players now are the ones with the ability to unlock the better organised modern defences. Got to be honest its shocking only 1 player has more than 6 assists all seasons.

I'm neither overly pro or anti Pope - but knock out his assists and assuming the goalkeeper doesn't have any that means our best 11 have created less than 60 goals all season - and that assumes we have 10 players with 6 assists which I doubt. Could a lack of imaginative players be our real problem?

You need goals from all round the sige. Generally speaking you need a 29 goal forward, a centre half who can chip in (McCombe?) with for or five a season and a midfield where a couple of players can get to double figures. Of the midfielder last year only Rigg and Dodds got towards that and to be honest Riggs goals mainly came when played in a more advanced role.

The issues we had last year were that we didn't have a consistent scorer to partner RICO and we had relatively few goals from midfield. Those issues needed addressing, and now also need a new RICO to be found.

I had a quick look at the top scorers in each team in the bottom two leagues the other day.

There are very few 20 goal a season strikers, not that many 15s either.

At a lot of clubs, their leading goalscorer wasn't even into two figures - I think Tranmere's joint leading goalscorer had 5.

Good points JRC. If you look at the top 7 all had a midfield man, a link man, or a pair of players who pulled the strings:

Swindon had Ritchie

Shrewsbury had Wroe and Wright.

Crawley had Torres and Davies

Crewe had Wetswood and Powell

Southend had Hall

Cheltenham had Pack

Torquay had O'Kane

Meanwhile the man who should have been doing it for us was giving his all putting in star turns at left back. I am convinced that Loft has the ability to be our talisman next year but it relies on two things. Firstly the recruitment of a good left back, and perhaps ensuring we have cover for that man.

Secondly finding someone with an engine to partner Loft but who can also play the game. For me, the man to go for in that respect would be Sam Togwell.

Loft is our best left back right back, right, left and centre midfield. Clone 6 Loft's and there's no problem. The problem with having one is he doesnt have a settled position, which cant be good for him. I'd love him to be. leftback if we could get 4 better midfield players which i can't see happening.

As for the need for a 29 goal striker on one post - if a 12 goal plus penalties strikers is worth 5 grand a week I hope Ryder has deep pockets!

Loft is our best left back right back, right, left and centre midfield. Clone 6 Loft's and there's no problem. The problem with having one is he doesnt have a settled position, which cant be good for him. I'd love him to be. leftback if we could get 4 better midfield players which i can't see happening.

As for the need for a 29 goal striker on one post - if a 12 goal plus penalties strikers is worth 5 grand a week I hope Ryder has deep pockets! I dont think they exist in modern lower league football.

Earlier post should had said a twenty goal front man rather than 29, which is a far too specific number to aim for!

While it surprises me the promoted sides this year all had a top scorer with 15 goals or less - but they all scored more than us.

Archived