onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

A little too honest ?

Bea Smith

“All I thinking of is getting Oxford out of the way, getting Tuesday [the day the retained list will be announced] out of the way and getting on holiday because I need a rest.”

- Micky Adams

I really like Micky, but is this the right thing to say before a game where Vale could do with a larger crowd, who may make the decision whether to attend based on whether they think their manager and team are interested in winning the game.

Some people may even get a season ticket (or not) based on what they see v Oxford, and there is also the matter of being fair to other clubs (yeah I know its only Crewe, but..)

I've no doubt just about every manager of teams not involved in promotion or relegation or play off fights are thinking the same way as Micky's quote above, but if many of us went to our day-to-day jobs just before going on holiday and said that, we'd be out of the door.

Mildly annoyed, it isn't a big deal, but we all feel a bit worn out by events at Vale over the last 3/6/12/18/50 months (delete as appropriate) but remember Micky we pay for the privelege and you and the players get paid a fair bit for 'needing your rest'.

OK, now go out and beat Oxford and I'll tip my hat, look daft for posting this, and offer an apology.:)

Advert

Think your reading to much into it to be honest! He did also say he will select a strong side & go for the win also.

I certainly havn't got a problem with it. He probably wants what we all want, get this debacle of a season out the way & get ready for the new era. That's the way i read it anyway.

Alls I can think of is getting this season out of the way as well - it has been horrendous!

However, tomorrow is the last game of the season and it is always special for some reason so as much as MA wants tomorrow done and dusted I'm sure that at the same time he is looking forward to it

I've been in the lucky position of having never been made redundant so it's difficult for me to imagine just what the entire staff of Port Vale FC have had to endure. Not only that, some have ridden the wave and, having stayed afloat are just about to be told they are now to be thrown overboard.

These are people, people like myself, people with mortgages to pay, people with families to feed, people with bills to pay - they have my utmost sympathy because in the main, they have ALL carried on in the face of extreme difficulty and tried their damnedest to be professional.

I myself cannot wait for the end of this season - another season of abject failure for the team/club I love, another year where off-field matters have blighted our chances of a modicom of success. I really really am looking forward to 5.00pm tomorrow, so I can fully understand Micky's viewpoint - I hope that the players remain professional for one last game this season - with a little luck, it will be Oxford's last game too.

Its not just a roundabout and lamppost. my street will be closed for seven months while they sort the road out.

Back on post. im looking forward to next season. im glad this ones all over. i hope vale dont just roll over but i feel oxford have got it all to play for

You've got to agree that Micky's comments sort of counter the push to get more through the gates today. My reaction to reading it was, "Oh, OK" and made me feel slightly less enthusiastic about the day ahead. It's not going to put me off going, but to those part timers who need any excuse not to go then it could be the spark that lights the fire.

Also, if I'd been running the website I'd have edited the interview to remove those comments, as it is a little negative towards what the board have tried to do today. I certainly wouldn't have had it as the stories headline. Not very bright all round IMHO

What's Micky said that anyone didn't already know? It's a nothing last game of the season for us and a few days later he will be informing all the out of contract players of their fate. :unsure:

I'm glad it's the last game, it's been a terrible period and will be glad to see the back of it before starting a new fresh lease of life next season. The retained list will be very interesting though...I like how Micky is quicly going away on holiday once it's done!

...and once he's 'got Tuesday out of the way,' shouldn't he be talking to other players that he might want to sign? I know we can't actually sign anyone until KR takes over and the embargo is lifted but surely this should be one of the busiest times of the year for a manager - even though players' contracts don't run out until the end of June, there is a lot to be done; talking, arranging, discussing possible terms, persuading people that Vale is the right club for them etc. Holiday? Sod that till the required squad is sorted.

Unless of course, MA is simply going to re-sign Haldane et al... in which case, mid-table mediocrity here we come!

Another positive post there? Who said he hasn't been sounding out other players? He might of? Just because he hasn't told us lot dosn't mean he hasn't does it? He may speak to them after he's told the current lot? Give the guy a break. (pun intended).

Archived