onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF feature: Four thoughts after the loss to MK Dons – firepower, fitness and boo boys…

News Feed

Ellis Harrison - EchetusXe, CC BY-SA 4.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

Rob Fielding reflects on a poor away loss for the Valiants and manages to extract some positives from the performance… Rob Fielding writes… More firepower needed It must be a thankless task being a lone forward as Ellis Harrison proved on Tuesday night. Starved of quality service, the new signing put in a real shift, […]

The post Four thoughts after the loss to MK Dons – firepower, fitness and boo boys… appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

View the full article

Advert

Supported the Vale for fifty years and never felt the need to boo any player. Have been disappointed as everybody (Exeter in the cup with Rob Page springs to mind), but will not abuse any player in a Vale shirt. Surely no one thinks the players enter the pitch saying I am going to be xxxx today?. We all have good days and bad days. We are not machines.

44 minutes ago, Phil500 said:

Supported the Vale for fifty years and never felt the need to boo any player. Have been disappointed as everybody (Exeter in the cup with Rob Page springs to mind), but will not abuse any player in a Vale shirt. Surely no one thinks the players enter the pitch saying I am going to be xxxx today?. We all have good days and bad days. We are not machines.

I do not expect them to be machines but i expect pro footballers to be able to use both feet to kick a ball.That is why Hussey kept passing back 60 yards to the goalkeeper last night he has to play the ball with his left foot.All i ask from him in training is learn to kick with both feet not to much to ask of a senior pro i think.

13 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

I do not expect them to be machines but i expect pro footballers to be able to use both feet to kick a ball.That is why Hussey kept passing back 60 yards to the goalkeeper last night he has to play the ball with his left foot.All i ask from him in training is learn to kick with both feet not to much to ask of a senior pro i think.

You could level that at others though. Conlon is so one footed it's unreal but Hussey ( who I'm not his biggest fan ) cops it whereas Conlon doesn't.  Go figure. 

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

You could level that at others though. Conlon is so one footed it's unreal but Hussey ( who I'm not his biggest fan ) cops it whereas Conlon doesn't.  Go figure. 

He is playing in a position where the opposition will know that he will not come inside on his right foot they also know that he will not outrun anyone on the outside there is only one option for him that is to play it back.

44 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

Not sure why your criticising Hussey. Clearly our best player last night, created 2 brilliant crosses that we squandered.  Same question could be asked of Conlon who is just as one footed. 

10 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

He is playing in a position where the opposition will know that he will not come inside on his right foot they also know that he will not outrun anyone on the outside there is only one option for him that is to play it back.

From what I saw the reason he was going back to the keeper was things were a bit too static in terms of other players movement off the ball. He went back to the keeper so he didn’t risk turning over possession and I’m ok with that even if there a couple of people groaning around me. At the point he’s at in his career he’s not going to bomb forward on huge runs constantly but when he did get in behind last night he delivered some quality.

Rob, you said " there was some excellent, cheery stewards who met us as the turnstiles".  You're joking yes?  The stewards may well have been "cheery" in that they had a good laugh whilst frisking people and searching every pocket in Eddie's bag which contained a couple of notebooks and a radio - no weapons of mass destruction.  They also searched my tiny shoulder bag, only big enough for a phone and my specs, then confiscated my tiny fold up umbrella - about 8 inches long.  When I asked why that was necessary I was told people had thrown umbrellas on the pitch!!!!   Now I've been attending league football since 1961 and I have NEVER seen an umbrella thrown on the pitch!

We asked if this over-zealous behaviour was being directed at home fans and was told it was.  Pull the other one!

2 hours ago, hamilboy said:

Would you class Ryan Giggs as a footballer? or Beckham? Or Bale? All great footballers that couldn't use their weak foot. Your moaning for the sake of it. 

35 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Rob, you said " there was some excellent, cheery stewards who met us as the turnstiles".  You're joking yes?  The stewards may well have been "cheery" in that they had a good laugh whilst frisking people and searching every pocket in Eddie's bag which contained a couple of notebooks and a radio - no weapons of mass destruction.  They also searched my tiny shoulder bag, only big enough for a phone and my specs, then confiscated my tiny fold up umbrella - about 8 inches long.  When I asked why that was necessary I was told people had thrown umbrellas on the pitch!!!!   Now I've been attending league football since 1961 and I have NEVER seen an umbrella thrown on the pitch!

We asked if this over-zealous behaviour was being directed at home fans and was told it was.  Pull the other one!

The blog is only my personal view @Jacko51 and it was really positive. The steward who looked through our stuff was great - he even had a joke with the children about the sweets in the bag. I felt it was a real positive to find someone who knew how to address youngsters especially after the kids have been scared to death by some heavy handed treatment elsewhere. The car park people were great when I went the wrong way while there was a steward who used his walkie-talkie to find out the correct place to pick up tickets.

I'm sorry you had a different experience though!

26 minutes ago, robf said:

The blog is only my personal view @Jacko51 and it was really positive. The steward who looked through our stuff was great - he even had a joke with the children about the sweets in the bag. I felt it was a real positive to find someone who knew how to address youngsters especially after the kids have been scared to death by some heavy handed treatment elsewhere. The car park people were great when I went the wrong way while there was a steward who used his walkie-talkie to find out the correct place to pick up tickets.

I'm with Rob.  No one likes being searched but last night was actually okay and the guy was human and had a sense of humour.  It seems everyone there was service first, security second as opposed to security first and last.  Gets the job done (not their fault) with the least hassle possible.  was a first class experience from everyone I interacted with.  Whilst some aspects of attending a match (like the searches) will never be ideal on the assumption that they have to be done that, and everything else last night could not have been done better - compare that ho teh threads we've had on imoroving the Vale Park experience - the people and their attitude were even better than the stadium which of course was excellent.

42 minutes ago, robf said:

I'm used to searches - happens everywhere unless you are 6ft 6 and covered in tattoos!  I just thought the confiscation of a tiny umbrella on the basis that they are regularly thrown on the pitch was absolutely ridiculous.  I'm over 70 for heaven's sake!

2 hours ago, WV said:

Would you class Ryan Giggs as a footballer? or Beckham? Or Bale? All great footballers that couldn't use their weak foot. Your moaning for the sake of it. 

I have seen one of the very great footballer live thank you his name was Puskas he only had one strong foot but he did not play LWB for Real Madrid or Hungary and i would think in all his career he would not have passed the ball back 50 or 60 yds back to his goalkeeper.I'm not moaning just making a statement what i saw with the other 728 fans who attended last night.

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Not sure why your criticising Hussey. Clearly our best player last night, created 2 brilliant crosses that we squandered.  Same question could be asked of Conlon who is just as one footed. 

Hussey created 2 chances and you are defending him. Conlon created our only goal and you are singling him out. 

52 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

I have seen one of the very great footballer live thank you his name was Puskas he only had one strong foot but he did not play LWB for Real Madrid or Hungary and i would think in all his career he would not have passed the ball back 50 or 60 yds back to his goalkeeper.I'm not moaning just making a statement what i saw with the other 728 fans who attended last night.

727 🤣🤣

Archived