onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Aidan Stone

SFBT

What a year he's had! Started January as a #2 developing keeper. Still young.

Ended May, 5 months later, at Wembley, having played every game since January as #1.

Massive, steep curve imo.

Yet another step up has proven to be a bit too big, yet.

After such a period of development, it's often good to take a step back to consolidate before taking further steps forward.

I think this is a sign of the quality of management. They can get performances out of players, and recognise when they need a break.

Plaudits all round from me.

If at Christmas you'd told Aiden of the year to come, I doubt he'd have believed you.

Admin edit from robf- amended post title - Aiden to Aidan

Advert

I think Aiden Stone is a pretty useful keeper with scope to develop. But in my opinion Stevens got down to one today that Stone would not have saved. I think he can improve on extended reach saves and on consistent error free distribution. I also thought Stevens had a calm and in control presence in the box even though he was being targeted at every corner kick. That's experience. 

I think if you read the comments DC said on it in the Sentinel I think it is brilliant man management. Said where they are looking to get him to but that there’s areas of his game that are not quite there yet. No bad reflection on him but we saw it today Stevens is probably a bit ahead of him all round at this point, Stoney will get there though.

Just think some of the comments on here about Stone are really harsh. People must have seen some brilliant keepers down the Vale in recent years to keep knocking him the way he has been. He made a mistake on Wednesday - bought about by other players and the way he has been asked to play. At the same time I can't think of any goals that were his mistake or saves he should have made. He made an excellent save on Wednesday at 2 nil down that few if any commented on. At the same time todays keeper could do no wrong (including MoM). But he kicked it out of play and kicked it long to try and fail to hit Proctor. From my point of view (where I was sitting) he got lucky with his first save. It hit the inside of his arm and went wide - often they go in! Not saying he's not good - he obviously is. Just saying people have looking for the negative in one keeper and the positives in the other.

9 hours ago, Gooders said:

Just think some of the comments on here about Stone are really harsh. People must have seen some brilliant keepers down the Vale in recent years to keep knocking him the way he has been. He made a mistake on Wednesday - bought about by other players and the way he has been asked to play. At the same time I can't think of any goals that were his mistake or saves he should have made. He made an excellent save on Wednesday at 2 nil down that few if any commented on. At the same time todays keeper could do no wrong (including MoM). But he kicked it out of play and kicked it long to try and fail to hit Proctor. From my point of view (where I was sitting) he got lucky with his first save. It hit the inside of his arm and went wide - often they go in! Not saying he's not good - he obviously is. Just saying people have looking for the negative in one keeper and the positives in the other.

I agree 100% Stone has made only a few rickets for me and I don’t want Covolon back as second goalkeeper 

Aiden  for me is now exactly where he should be.  A competent deputy if required but not first choice. 

Since taking over from Holy has made few major errors (got away with 2 at Wembley, punished for 1 on Wednesday), but for me has not saved anything that you thought would go in, and on a few goals conceded whilst not to blame I have thought he could have perhaps done better.  

Both keepers made saves yesterday when you expected the ball to hit the back of the net, and for me demonstrated the level Aiden needs to aspire to.  Hopefully he will come good.

• robf changed the title to Aidan Stone

Archived