onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bolton Wanderers

Fosse69

Advert

Without reading much of what’s been said on the various channels I think the blaming/ making excuses, or whatever, is simply just a coping mechanism.  A way of Bolton fans dealing with the fact that reality didn’t match expectations.  In all honestly we’ve all done it, but nowadays many people post it up on social media.

What I would also add is that whilst personally I’m against VAR, goal line technology, as was used in the play offs, should be standard at this level.  The only slight downside is that it removes a talking point.

I think it is worth mentioning how important Smith is going to be this season. Firstly although his distribution may not be the best, his defensive qualities more than make up for it. Which is perhaps why every manager we have had during his time with us, picks him.
However that is not what I am referring to. What I am referring to his ability to get under the opposition's skin and make them do something stupid and get booked which later leads to a second yellow and off they go. It happened yesterday and in the playoff final. And I believe a couple of more times during last season.
What he does is not the same as some players who roll around on the ground trying to get a player sent off when they have been hardly touched. Usually he does receive a decent clout.
It is however excellent gamesmanship and if the opposition bite and over react, more fool them.
Could well earn us some valuable points over the season.

I think with so called big clubs you get a sense of entitlement… let’s not forget this is the same Bolton who’s previous owner wanted a closed shop Premier League!

Obviously a coping mechanism that despite all their money and size they are currently at the same level as clubs who’ve spent a fraction like
ourselves, Accrington, Morecambe, Shrewsbury, Lincoln etc.

I imagine similar will be experienced when Sheff Wednesday and Ipswich come to town.

The main difference with Swindon was they weren’t a big club but had the delusions of grandeur.

The goal wasn’t a goal as the clips now show and Santos was rightly sent off, first yellow is straight forward, second a totting up process.

Let’s put it this way if Connor Hall does the same four or five things Santos did and the referee doesn’t send him off Evatt is going mental and raging.

Plus the referee was consistent both Hall and Forrester were rightly booked for similar incidents to Santos second.

His red though probably did them a favour. I know he is massively rated as one of the best in the lower league but after yesterday and the 6-3 he just looks dreadful against us! Slow, lumbering and the turning circle of a combine harvester.

His second yellow was similar to incident when Rodders bullied him and he gave away a penalty in the 6-3.

Yesterday was a perfect illustration of how important good quality from the wing backs is to our game plan.

First half we didn’t really put much quality into the box. Benning didn’t really put anything decent over all afternoon (at least I can’t recall any quality from that side) and Cass didn’t have a good game going forward at all in the first half (in fact Forrester getting booked probably saved him being hooked at half time).

Massey coming on at half time gave us an outlet, someone who could beat a man and got some decent quality in the box. The likes of Proctor, Harrison and Garrity all need decent quality into the box to offer a threat and on another day we would have got the goal to win the game.

Another "BIG CLUB", here next home game and like Bolton former Premier League club. For me some of the best supporters that you will meet with " MR PORTSMOUTH FOOTBALL CLUB", himself and his Portsmouth FC wig and the incessant Bell ringing. For me whatever anyone else thinks he is a great character.I went to watch a Portsmouth midweek game at Shrewsbury last season and Pompey were midtable but still brought over 800 fans.

As Portsmouth have not played Vale for many years in a league encounter like Bolton they will bring a large following. Give them 3,250 tickets I reckon they will bring a minimum 2,000 but could be closer to 3,000. Managed currently by the Cowley brothers who brought incredible success to Lincoln City. Days like these need to be relished by Port Vale and the fans. 

Look at the rising attendances at Vale Park, with many more home fans coming along and teams with great tradition and large followings.  Vale can compete with these teams and hold their own.

UTV

I’d be surprised if Pompey top 2,000.

Bolton is an hour up the road so their 3,000 wasn’t a surprise given they got 17,000 the week before. In fact I was disappointed they didn’t sell their full allocation given their huffing and puffing about it being “small”.

Pompey is nearer 4 hours each way on a decent journey (which has to take in the hassle of getting through/around Birmingham). As well supported as they are that’s a huge journey. They took 2,100 to Wednesday on the opening day so it be would be a surprised to see them bring that many to us. Only reason I can see a few more making the trip is that they’ve not been here for 20 odd years.

That is the reason for my quote that Pompey could bring possibly 3,000. Yes it is at least a four journey, but they have some of the most passionate fans in the lower league's. I have always been fascinated by how many of their fans will for an example go to Lincoln on a Tuesday night and take possibly 1,500 fans. Which with the transport links seems incredible. Pompey also have to date got two draws and one victory. Whatever happens with Pompey's following it is another good day attendance and revenue wise for Vale.

UTV

Yeah I’d expect 1500 Pompey fans similar to what they took yesterday.

Obviously ex Prem but spent the last decade rattling around L2 and L1 so more established as a lower league club at the moment, somehow our paths didn’t cross as their promotions and relegations were in tandem with ours.

Their last visit they were well beaten and Viljanen scored a stunner IIRC

53 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

Yesterday was a perfect illustration of how important good quality from the wing backs is to our game plan.

First half we didn’t really put much quality into the box. Benning didn’t really put anything decent over all afternoon (at least I can’t recall any quality from that side) and Cass didn’t have a good game going forward at all in the first half (in fact Forrester getting booked probably saved him being hooked at half time).

Massey coming on at half time gave us an outlet, someone who could beat a man and got some decent quality in the box. The likes of Proctor, Harrison and Garrity all need decent quality into the box to offer a threat and on another day we would have got the goal to win the game.

I thought Benning played really well myself. Agree about Cass though.  I don’t see him as a wing back and I’d suggest he was playing there as a solid defensive option with Woz being injured and Massey not fully fit just yet.  I’d also say that whilst some of our final balls were poor, our finishing was far worse.  We failed to test the keeper far to many times and ultimately that cost us the 3 points.

21 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I thought Benning played really well myself. Agree about Cass though.  I don’t see him as a wing back and I’d suggest he was playing there as a solid defensive option with Woz being injured and Massey not fully fit just yet.  I’d also say that whilst some of our final balls were poor, our finishing was far worse.  We failed to test the keeper far to many times and ultimately that cost us the 3 points.

Thought Mal had a decent game but he put very little of any quality into the box. If you watch the highlights our better chances in the second half came from crosses or balls coming over from the right.

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think there was a justification for Cass at kick off because Bolton are a very big and physical team. Unlike the Man Utd manager, ours recognised that picking a side that is too small is a mistake.

However, Massey at RWB is clearly a quality player who caused Bolton mayhem in the second half. I know they had 10 men, but they defended very well inside their box and he was still good enough to create aforesaid mayhem. 

Benning has really worked at himself physically and is looking really good down the left side. We have also developed the RCH and LCH getting forward approach well without looking vulnerable to the counter attack. 

There was much going right on Saturday. 

10 hours ago, NEWPORT VALIANT said:

That is the reason for my quote that Pompey could bring possibly 3,000. Yes it is at least a four journey, but they have some of the most passionate fans in the lower league's. I have always been fascinated by how many of their fans will for an example go to Lincoln on a Tuesday night and take possibly 1,500 fans. Which with the transport links seems incredible. 

UTV

Yes, but (and sorry to keep banging on about it) when I tried on line yesterday to book trains for that day, I couldn't do it, because Avanti have temporarily suspended all bookings and reservations and are operating a reduced service until mid-September. Things like that are bound to affect the attendance.

Archived