onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League Cup horror story

smithie

How many other Valiants recall the infamous League Cup tie versus Hereford back in the 70?

It's hard to believe but back then, the first round of the League Cup was a two-legged affair. We led Hereford 4-0 at half-time at Vale Park, but it ended 4-2. We went to Edgar Street and lost 2-0, which triggered a decider at a neutral venue (Gay Meadow).

We managed to lose 1-0 and exited the Cup!

I don't know what was worse....the outcome or the fact I went to all three games. 

Advert

Before my time but I went to Hereford in the FA Cup about 20 years ago and only found out it was an early kick off when half way there. Arrived about 5 minutes before half time when it was 0-0, had to knock on the gate to get in and watched the Vale lose, 4-0 if I remember right.

28 minutes ago, Properman said:

I did all 3 games. Then in fa cup the two teams who got furthest played in the debenhams cup, I think we played Chester two legs we lost. That's when you talk to people now they all supported vale yet we only had 3000 at home games (if we were lucky)

If my memory serves me right the debenhams cup final we won the first leg 3-0 and still lost final at the old chester ground i went to both matches oh the pain of being a vale fan.Talking about the league cup [the old name] vale must have the worst record in the competition we must have been knocked out in the first round more times than any other football league club in the history of the cup.

Lincoln, Huddersfield, York, Chester two years running… and that was just the 90s.

We had a half decent run in 96/97 and should have beaten Oxford but the ref decided to pull play back to give us a free kick when we’d put the ball in the net. They beat us in a replay on Bonfire Night. 

1 hour ago, smithie said:

How many other Valiants recall the infamous League Cup tie versus Hereford back in the 70?

It's hard to believe but back then, the first round of the League Cup was a two-legged affair. We led Hereford 4-0 at half-time at Vale Park, but it ended 4-2. We went to Edgar Street and lost 2-0, which triggered a decider at a neutral venue (Gay Meadow).

I don't know what was worse....the outcome or the fact I went to all three games. 

I do as a kid. The first leg was always before the league started too and on a Saturday. 

Seem to recall we drew Chesterfield a couple of times also .

34 minutes ago, Santa said:

Lincoln, Huddersfield, York, Chester two years running… and that was just the 90s.

We had a half decent run in 96/97 and should have beaten Oxford but the ref decided to pull play back to give us a free kick when we’d put the ball in the net. They beat us in a replay on Bonfire Night. 

That was when Luke Beckett started his Vale saga

2 hours ago, smithie said:

Yes I went all three as well.

1 hour ago, hamilboy said:

If my memory serves me right the debenhams cup final we won the first leg 3-0 and still lost final at the old chester ground i went to both matches oh the pain of being a vale fan.Talking about the league cup [the old name] vale must have the worst record in the competition we must have been knocked out in the first round more times than any other football league club in the history of the cup.

Yes I too remember those Debenhams Cup games. It was 2-0 at VP not 3-0. I think Ken Beamish scored one but he should have been out of sight. I think the second leg was 1-1 at or close to HT but we ended up losing the game 4-1 and the tie 4-3 on aggregate. 
I don’t ever recall the competition being played again or if it was I never remember it.

3 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Yes I too remember those Debenhams Cup games. It was 2-0 at VP not 3-0. I think Ken Beamish scored one but he should have been out of sight. I think the second leg was 1-1 at or close to HT but we ended up losing the game 4-1 and the tie 4-3 on aggregate. 
I don’t ever recall the competition being played again or if it was I never remember it.

Was only played once more. Blyth Spartans beat Wrexham. 

Blyth beat some right crap to go so far in the cup 🤣

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Was only played once more. Blyth Spartans beat Wrexham. 

Blyth beat some right crap to go so far in the cup 🤣

I went that one as well, hard trying to keep a straight face in the Boothen end.

Archived