onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale Park stadium improvements

robf

53 minutes ago, Warren said:

Another aspect of this is children. I remember away to Everton in 1996 (think) we had the classic problem in big crowds of adults jumping up and down blocking the view of children in the build up to a goal threat and in the moment a goal is scored. Standing up stadiums are even worse for this. I could go on about this with many examples, but essentially family zones are needed with rules about behaviour of adults in these areas. 

People of any age jumping up and down or singing should face lengthy banning orders. Ultimately I'd like to see clapping phased out as well. There's just no need for it.   

Advert

1 hour ago, Warren said:

Another aspect of this is children. I remember away to Everton in 1996 (think) we had the classic problem in big crowds of adults jumping up and down blocking the view of children in the build up to a goal threat and in the moment a goal is scored. Standing up stadiums are even worse for this. I could go on about this with many examples, but essentially family zones are needed with rules about behaviour of adults in these areas. 

Football crowds should be restricted to male pensioners, then it would gradually fade away and the stadiums could be used for women`s football.

isn't that all part of it as a young child though? being part of a big passionate crowd, maybe being lifted up by your dad so you can see occasionally but really what's going on on-pitch is almost secondary.

12 hours ago, Warren said:

I believe that's the whole concept of the family area for the unused LS section. It will be family-friendly both in terms of what's on offer in the concourse (entertainment, games machines etc) and I would also strongly imagine the expected behaviour in the seats (i.e. no standing etc). Having experienced the "family" block in the Bycars, it's one of the reasons I'm personally really keen for the LS block to open ASAP. A modern, proper, dedicated family area HAS to be the way forward.

11 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Football crowds should be restricted to male pensioners, then it would gradually fade away and the stadiums could be used for women`s football.

My experience of an international women's match at Vale Park was the (on-off) women spectators arrived late possibly because they'd never experienced the Burslem traffic lights before. 

11 hours ago, Topher said:
13 hours ago, Warren said:

isn't that all part of it as a young child though? being part of a big passionate crowd, maybe being lifted up by your dad so you can see occasionally but really what's going on on-pitch is almost secondary.

I think there are a significant percentage of young children who are taken to games for childcare reasons and spend much of their time on their phones. But in the case I mention above our children were 10-11 at the time and significantly interested in the game itself.

In a big stadium like Goodison Park, or Anfield, lifting children on to shoulders is a dangerous action. In fact in the highly banked upper tiers at Anfield it would be stupendously dangerous. Similarly in a top level game at Anfield - say Liverpool v PSG in my experience in the last few years - the whole crowd is in motion and again therefore putting a child on shoulders would be very dangerous for that reason. 

Need family sections. 

1 hour ago, Warren said:

I think there are a significant percentage of young children who are taken to games for childcare reasons and spend much of their time on their phones. But in the case I mention above our children were 10-11 at the time and significantly interested in the game itself.

In a big stadium like Goodison Park, or Anfield, lifting children on to shoulders is a dangerous action. In fact in the highly banked upper tiers at Anfield it would be stupendously dangerous. Similarly in a top level game at Anfield - say Liverpool v PSG in my experience in the last few years - the whole crowd is in motion and again therefore putting a child on shoulders would be very dangerous for that reason. 

Need family sections. 

I think this is an important discussion, as there are different people attending for different reasons and therefore with different preferences.

Broadly, I can think of 3 categories and there may be more.

There are those who bring, shall we say, alot of energy, and want to sing and dance their way through a game.

Families, especially those with younger children.

Quieter types, who want a peaceful afternoon 🤠

Some might say if you want peace and quiet, don't go to a football match 😁.

You might be surprised how prevalent this actually is!

2 hours ago, SFBT said:

I think this is an important discussion, as there are different people attending for different reasons and therefore with different preferences.

Broadly, I can think of 3 categories and there may be more.

There are those who bring, shall we say, alot of energy, and want to sing and dance their way through a game.

Families, especially those with younger children.

Quieter types, who want a peaceful afternoon 🤠

Some might say if you want peace and quiet, don't go to a football match 😁.

You might be surprised how prevalent this actually is!

I think you’ve missed a sub groups few off.  Just off the top of my head:

Drunks, who find themselves at the match after going for a few pints and meeting some football fans in the pub.

People who’ve been given free tickets and have no appreciation of football supporting etiquette.  You can spot these as they’re standing up when everyone else is sitting down, and sitting down when everyone else dims standing up.

Social misfits, who go simply to be near to other people.

People evading the law.  In the days of cash turnstiles, I once stood by a guy who was running from the cops and had apparently ducked into the Railway Paddock.  He was a big guy.  I didn’t ask why he was running.  True story.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, bennymole said:

Noticed the scoreboard had a makeover for the Bolton game. For one it worked, and looked to have a totally new graphic so I would imagine a new control/computer thingymerjig has been found that plugged into the old girl.

Just as well there was no score, had there been it probably would have had to be rebooted.

Archived