onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Exeter City v Port Vale

Fosse69

One as to ask just what does a director of football do for his no-doubt excessive salary ?.
On analysis this post goes right to the crux of the problems, far to many questions than answers, again we are left deflated, anxious, and concerned, soon the jury will be out on our two main management figures if this becomes the standard, let's hope this is only a glitch and they'll pull some outstanding plan out of the bag, otherwise it'll be the lynch mob gathering and ambiguities being voiced in the popular media.There is no hiding place anymore I'm afraid, time isn't on their side, 8000 plus season ticket holders want success at any price, let's hope the jury doesn't have to sit at this early stage of the proceedings.

The purpose of a DoF is in the title.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

Advert

18 hours ago, andy jones said:

Sandyford you trusted the process along with everyone else last week and were happy to sign up to it, then we lose a match.

All this panic when all you have to do is let the Management team get on with what they are paid to do.

They are professionals we are fans 

Just chill.

There is no panic from me.

I asked the question what if thats all.

To me that is a massive what if and i hope it doesnt come to that.

Using Flitcroft analogy of the guy asking for 6k per week with no one interested. Then drops to 5k and then 4k before our price range of 3k and we are then interested. What if others become interested at 4k. We will miss out.

Jacko comments about the Exeter signing of the keeper and how his price was silly money for us to pay and Exeter must have money to burn. Everthought that Exeter negotiated the deal and didnt pay silly money but maybe a little more than us.

We will woin some and lose some. On and off the pitch. One thing for sure we need strikers before the window closes for sure. Other positions too.

18 hours ago, andy jones said:

Sandyford you trusted the process along with everyone else last week and were happy to sign up to it, then we lose a match.

All this panic when all you have to do is let the Management team get on with what they are paid to do.

They are professionals we are fans 

Just chill.

Another point. Professionals can make mistakes you know.

I have faith. We have to have faith with the management team.

18 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I'm guessing Howjy04 was suggesting that Derby signing experienced players, on big fat wages is no guarantee of success - so maybe it's not a model we should be following?

Hang on. Only two games in. Same applies for all teams surely. Patience will be there word too

18 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

And Sunderland are currently looking at the Prem, if you want to play that game.

Honestly, do you think we should and could have done better with our pre-season (and present) preparations?

I said this last week and got laughing emojis 'cause we'd won but if Stoke had gone in to their season with a partially complete squad (1 fit striker and 1 keeper) and a lack of match sharpness, and interviewing players via zoom from Spain, we'd have been laughing our heads off at them.

All true.

No more so than Sunderland being a top top team

18 hours ago, Exeter Red said:

Not really. He hasn't played enough games for a keeper of his age so wanted to sign for a club (in this case Exeter) who would play him for 40+ games then he is ready to make the step back up to the Championship the following season. Therefore, he didnt want a 2 yr deal with any club that wont be in the Championship next season. He clearly saw how we progressed Cam Dawson last season (keeper on loan from Sheff Wed) and thought Exeter offered him the best option for this season. 

See there is more to a deal and negotiations than money.

We know this is only an assumption but it does seem very probable.

Exeter are an excellent club it seems and one i hope we compete with over the next few years

18 hours ago, fred binneys head said:

I won’t say much as I’m sure a detailed analysis will be about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, but I thought we thoroughly deserved the win, pressed you into mistakes and were clinical when we needed to be. The penalty was softer than a pillow made of clouds but we’re grateful for that, we’ve all got examples where the decisions have gone against us unfairly. I don’t think the penalty would have made any difference anyway, we were the better side and the side with more desire.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, I’m looking forward to our visit to Vale Park.

Top quote. Pressed you into mistakes.

Some of our best performances came with the same attitude. 

You have to give it all as a team to deserve to compete in any league.

This is one thing i am sure DC will put right

17 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Back in January we didn't know that Covolan would be farmed off to Chesterfield! 

As for Lge 2 plan / Lge 1 plan - there was a direct reference by DF to ,tearing up the L2 plan...clearly, better players for L1 are more difficult to find - and more expensive - than for L2, as we proved last season bringing in more than a dozen L2 players who got us promotion - not very long ago! You think it would have been sensible bringing in L1 standard players - who would, presumably, have wanted better salaries - than L2 ones?  Sunderland averaged over 25k gates last season; Forest over 27k...Forest have paid multiple millions for their recruits - are you being serious in your comparisons? 

Thats what lots of people are saying.

There was a plan for league 1 but we seem to have lost our way with it. These league 1 players are no more expensive now than when the plan was drawn up surely.

I agrèe we dont pay silly money that we dont have but we also have to be realistic and have cash available for new players needed to help us stay in league 1. Hope the cash is available. If not DC certainly has a job on his hqnds this season

That team Vale put out yesterday would likely not have beaten or drawn with the Exeter in that crucial game at the end of last season, that team would likely not have got promoted via the play-offs.

Some of the reasons eg injuries to Wilson and Worrall are out of DC/AC's control but some of the reasons fell within their control like the loss of Gibbo and Taylor and the lack of recruitment in key positions. 

It isn't just experienced Lge 1 calibre strikers  Vale need it's also a Lge1 calibre creative/controlling midfield player as we simply cannot rely on just Conlon to be fit for every remaining Lge game. The equivalent of a Michael O'Connor would do very nicely.

16 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

It’s simple. Everyone on here who’s been lambasted for saying we’re short, we’re desperate for signings was right: I mean we’re playing a bloke up to who couldn’t play 45 mins at back end of last season and a 17 year old midfielder up top, what do we seriously expect? We are way short. That isn’t moaning that’s plain to see. I get that signings will come, but when? We’ve blatantly missed out on our targets and now will be feeding off the scraps. We’re two games in and we saw today just how far off a side we beat what 3 games ago we are. We’re miles off. Robinson? Couldn’t get a look in last season now starting in league 1??? What is going on? What ever way you wish to sugar coat it we should be able to pick a strike force at this stage that Dosent include a 17 year old midfielder. 

Dreadful today, didn’t go but watched it on ifollow, didn’t think there was one to come out with any credit and Proctor was appalling. Signings needed and fast. A side that finished 5th in league two needs to strengthen and I really don’t think we have.  We have gone backwards. Should have kept gibbons no question, instead now we’re playing someone who couldn’t get a look in in league 2. 4-0 away to Exeter is a disgusting result, we need to move on and fast and more importantly get some bodies into this club that are FIT and ready to play Now, not a month down the line. 

And for the numpty that keeps saying Gibbo wanted to leave. No he didn’t. He was desperate to stay but vale offered him an insulting deal, due to his injury record but then go out and sign players who have bad injury records themselves. Good performance from him today…. I know who I’d prefer at RWB!!!!

Terrific post.

1 hour ago, Stamfordvale said:

One as to ask just what does a director of football do for his no-doubt excessive salary ?

Last year he ran a football department that led us to a promotion we were all desperate for.

1 hour ago, Stamfordvale said:

8000 plus season ticket holders want success at any price

This sentence couldn't be more wrong if you tried… everyone is allowed an opinion but this one is wrong, stupid and dangerous. 

18 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

That team Vale put out yesterday would likely not have beaten or drawn with the Exeter in that crucial game at the end of last season, that team would likely not have got promoted via the play-offs.

Some of the reasons eg injuries to Wilson and Worrall are out of DC/AC's control but some of the reasons fell within their control like the loss of Gibbo and Taylor and the lack of recruitment in key positions. 

It isn't just experienced Lge 1 calibre strikers  Vale need it's also a Lge1 calibre creative/controlling midfield player as we simply cannot rely on just Conlon to be fit for every remaining Lge game. The equivalent of a Michael O'Connor would do very nicely.

They'll stand (or fall) by their decisions re Gibbons and Taylor, but none of us know what went on with negotiations for Gibbo nor the conversation with Taylor. I'll say this though - I'm  confident they did what was right for the Vale, and I think they spend Carol's money as if it's their own (i.e hopefully very carefully). 

We've rarely been poor two games in a row under DC, and personally I think a biggie against Bolton with a big crowd is a great fixture to have next. Roll on Satdee! 

4 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Can’t believe I’m having to write this again.

There is a small section of vale fans who will ruin the best thing that’s happened to the vale for a very long time.

By all means, be upset after yesterdays awful performance. But if you are one of the people on Twitter swearing and copying in Carol with your “opinions” on how bad everything is after one result then you are a f*****g idiot.

The disrespect to those who have absolutely earned it is shocking.

Amen to that. Gross feckin stupidity!

Archived