onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Exeter City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Sometimes a heavy defeat is better than a narrow 1 0 defeat as it gives everyone a kick up the ****, usually gets a reaction and lowers supporter expectations which can, in turn, reduce the pressure on the team. 

Obviously the goal difference suffers, but if it's a "one off" heavy defeat, and it prompts us to tighten up at the back, then it's bot the end of the world.

Clearly the reaction now, and the essential signing of a striker, and the results over the next eight games will tell us what type of season we're going to have.

UTV! 

Advert

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

According to someone connected in local football Gibbons fell out with all the Vale players after we got promoted ,went to there heads and they were all acting high and mighty alledgedly giving it the big I am supposedly .maybe he didn't like that arrogance and decided move on because he didn't want be associated with it .
Worse performance yesterday since Mansfield away defeat under Askey so not bad let's not repeat that level of performance again as it wasn't good enough for national league level never mind league one
UTV

Just want to say that bit about Gibbo is total and utter rubbish and NEVER happened at all.

For goodness sake yesterday was a shocker but Gibbo has gone now lets just move on 

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

According to someone connected in local football Gibbons fell out with all the Vale players after we got promoted ,went to there heads and they were all acting high and mighty alledgedly giving it the big I am supposedly .maybe he didn't like that arrogance and decided move on because he didn't want be associated with it .
Worse performance yesterday since Mansfield away defeat under Askey so not bad let's not repeat that level of performance again as it wasn't good enough for national league level never mind league one
UTV

That is the daftest post I’ve read on here for some time. 

One thing I find hugely concerning is the amount of injuries we consistently have. Didnt DC say this was a big problem with the previous management team? Yet we are constantly getting long term injuries, signing injury prone players and picking up loads of injuries in training. 

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

My marks for yesterday:

Stone - 5 (avoided a 4 as he couldn't do much with any of the goals and for me his distribution was much better)

Hall - 4
Smith - 4
Cass - 3

Benning - 3
Robinson - 6 (looked very promising from my perspective with no little quality. Our main threat going forward. Very harsh penalty awarded against him)

Ojo - 4
Garrity - 3
Charsley - 5

Proctor - 2 (by far his worst game in a Vale shirt)
McDermott - 3

Conlon - 3
Holden - 3
Jones - 3
Small - 4
Pett - 4

Shocking performance really all across the board. Reminded me of the performance against Coventry in the Bruno season when absolutely nothing went right from the start. Hopefully an exception rather than the rule this season. I'm not worried, at all, yet. What did disappoint me was the fact that we didn't even seem to try to play our football, a la Wembley, Swindon, Carlisle etc. I'm sure DC will get to the bottom of it next week, and every place is up for grabs come Bolton.

Admit it.....come on.....you peeped at my scores on Rate the Players! Agree totally with all this post. 

39 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

For balance, Clive Clarke also kept saying he was surprised we had let Wilson go, and the host mustn’t have corrected him as he repeated it throughout the show! Maybe he’s not that in know after all.

I wonder if he meant Taylor?

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

So the squad got arrogant after promotion. Unbelievable.  

Listening to praise and grumble on the way home and within Carls moans during the phone in he was talking about the money we are able to offer players and where we sit with the budget league table of league one and how we are going to attract a good striker to us. But what that did was prompt Clive Clarke to talk about the contract we offered Gibbo not being very good, I was actually surprised that he would know that (until I found he’s also an agent), but in regard to the point about a striker he went on to say that we have a good budget for this league, which I think will be proved out by who we get in up top. It’s imperative now that we get a starting experienced striker in I think. We shouldn’t be in this situation where McDermott is thrown in every game. 

Along with his injury record perhaps the contract reflected a need to reallocate wages higher up the pitch. 

The budget is the budget. If you pay a player more money, means you have less to spend in other areas.

Strikers will always cost a premium. From a squad point of view I think it’s vital to sign at least 1 striker permanently rather loan.

If not end of next season we will potentially have 0 strikers with contracts ending for Proc and Wils.

Have to cover risk.

With respect to Clarke he only has interest in his players making money for himself.

DF has to look at the bigger picture and vision.

16 hours ago, andy jones said:

The club have made it very clear that we have a fixed playing budget.

So we can either panic and pay over the odds for a player who isn't going to take us forward. Or we wait till the wage demands moderate.

I don't want us signing players we don't really want just because we got beat 4-0 at Exeter.

I actually expect this season to be a struggle where we lose more than we win.  The only way forward is to stick together as a squad and not make rash signings.

Every club has a fixed playing budget. Except Man City or Newcastle. 

A clear correlation between the lack of 'forward' options ( and the complete imbalance of the team) and players performances.

Psychologically for the players, an almost 'What is the point?' 'We are not going to score/equalise etc.' Just look at their 4th goal.

What worries me is for 'How long could this effect team morale? (as we have no forward options)

Against Rotherham Wednesday - we are probably going to use this as a fitness exercise with no forward options. Not even sure Proctor will play? If so, not sure for how long in order to protect him.

Against Bolton Saturday - Will Wilson be back or ready? What forward options? Can we beat a Bolton side without us having any forward options?

For how many games could this cycle go on for?

I totally understand that there are plenty of games left and time to sort things out (and I'm sure we will) but there are TWO things happening here for me:

1. The high chance of conceding points against teams we play until we have a proper balance in the team that includes forward options on the pitch.

2. The psychology of any defeats on the players (because of the imbalance) and the negative impact on their individual and collective team morale. We don't want to be in a rut at the beginning of the season.

This doesn't mean that I want us to panic and get the wrong players in. Of course, like most of us, I want at least a couple of decent strikers in with the right attitude. This clearly can't be easy otherwise they would be at the club by now.

Normally, in my last paragraph, I would usually state what Vale should do or what I would like them to do BUT I think that's obvious to everyone!

3 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

UTV

I’ve heard that gibbons was actually Norman Smurthwaite in a gibbons mask (think Scooby doo)… when the players found out after Wembley they were quite upset.

Proctor was so angry he got his uncle, Tom Cruise, to go and bust the real Gibbo out and bring him home with the help of lassie (currently living and being trained by Charsley).

Upon his return to the UK Gibbo and Benning decided to quit football and become a WWE tag team… only when Smudge blackmailed Benning with photos of him in ladies underwear slow dancing with Billy Connolly did he agree to break the idea off.

Gibbo can’t look Benning in the eye any more… hence the move to Rovers.

Archived