onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Graham Hawkins - any memories?

robf

Graham sadly passed away in 2016. I've been contacted by Graham's daugher-in-law who is writing a book on him - in part so his wife has a memory of him and also to raise some money for charity (so it's a great cause all round).

His spell at Vale was just before I became a fan so I have no memories but I wondered if any of you did?

I know his spell at the club was fairly brief but if anyone has anything to share please post on here and I will pass on to the family.

Advert

The main memory I have and I might even be making this up!

I swear there was a blizzard against Hereford in either April or May and he scored .Maybe 1977 to 1980 period? 

Random I know but I'm sure it happened. The snow I meant not the goal .

I always remember 2 things about Graham Hawkins the first was seeing him in Tommy Cheadles the night he was signed by Bobby Smith he was introduced by Smith when he walked through the door i thought well he is a fine stamp of a centre half tall blond haired really stood out.Remember this was the time of Bobby Smith when really we were a poor side when he played he had more good games than bad he was not the worst centre half i have seen play on vale park.Now i will come to the second like all vale fans i think they like nothing more than a good moan.But Graham at another meeting with Dennis Butler on the panel in tommies told the story about when the vale played hartlepool away in midweek fixture he said i new i was getting some stick by a few vale fans at home but when this certain individual turned up at hartlepool giving me abuse all the match i could not believe it sometimes i do think he was right because it still happens at times now still it made us all laugh in tommies that night.

It is fair to say that his time at Vale did not coincide with his, or our, best days. He felt let down when Dennis Butler was sacked and Alan Bloor made caretaker manager over Graham's head, he promptly left.  I think that subsequent events perhaps proved he had a point.  Alan Bloor re-signed after about 3 months stating, very honestly, that he did not have it in him to be a manager.  He was replaced by John McGrath, and our renaissance started from that time.

As a player in 78/79 he was the main man in defence.  He played 43 out of the 46 games.  He was a constant factor where we saw the demise of David Harris who left on a free, the sale of John Ridley and the early retirement of Alan Bloor.  Graham was joined mid season by a new defensive partner, Bob Delgado. Graham was the one constant factor for us that season.

Darren's recall is good, we drew 1-1 with Hereford at home, in May, in awful weather, Graham scored.

He was a good player and enjoyed promotions throughout his career. Gordon Lee signed him for Blackburn and Graham was at the heart of the Blackburn team that humiliated Vale 4-1 in Burslem on Gordon Lee's return.

I think his first game at Vale Park was in 1970 as part of the Preston NE team that won promotion that season.  Vale beat them 1-0 though, and that game marked the debut for Vale of a certain Brian Horton.  Graham played alongside Archie Gemmill for PNE that day.

22 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

Why do I imagine he was caretaker manager around the time of Alan Bloor when we were bottom of Division 4 around 1980? I am sure he took charge for a few games.

Sorry my friend your imagination is wrong on this particular occasion, but don't worry too much, happens to all of us.   Alan Bloor had left the club before 1980.  John McGrath was appointed manager just before Christmas 1979.  Graham walked out early that season (79/80) because Alan Bloor was made caretaker over his head.

I was friends with his son in my mid teens until Graham and his family moved to Bahrain to manage the national team.

After looking on Wikipedia it says he coached in Kuwait, not managed so I may be wrong but I did think he went to the Middle East to manage.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this thread - was great reading all of the comments. Book  'A Marriage Made in Football: The Story of Graham and Jane Hawkins' coming very soon! I'm just making the final edits to my proof copy.

To answer a few questions..his time at Port Vale didn't end well, but his dispute was more around not having a coaching role rather than the appointment of Alan Bloor as such, with whom he got on well. After managing his home club Wolves, Graham and his family moved to Bahrain where he managed for six years. He was due to go to Kuwait to manage, but the Iraq War broke out and that saw the end of that opportunity. The pub years at the Coopers Arms followed, but he soon returned to football, in youth development at the Football League until he retired. 

All proceeds from the sale of the book will go to charity - supporting ex-players and their families struggling with the effects of dementia. It's been a great experience getting to know my late father-in-law through his friends and family (I only met him once) - as well as stories told by fans and football writers who have been brilliant. Great that he is still remembered.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived