onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ray Williams-legend

PVTony

I was only 8 when Williams joined the Vale, but I had been a VP regular since age 4 by then. My memories of Williams are not good. My Dad, brother and Grandfather all agreed that he was a poor player in a poor side with the likes of Terry Bailey, Derek Brownbill etc.

He may be a good coach and a man with a great affinity to Port Vale,

but I think that rose tinted spectacles are affecting your memory of him as a player. Just check the old league 3 table and see that his level was almost as bad as the current crop.

I can't agree with those comments because when he played he was an exciting forward,very quick and a good partner for Mick Cullerton sadly he struggled with a few injuries but on his day 'Willie' was a good player.

Advert

Mat I beg to differ, check the stats.......... Ray had been at Vale for two years before Terry Bailey arrived in 1974, and for 3 years before Derek Brownbill arrived in 1975. He was at his peak in his first two seasons, along with Sammy Morgan, John Woodward, he kept John James (a real all time favourite of mine) out of the team. In his first two seasons Gordon Lee was manager, and Ray's game dipped after Gordon left. Also Sammy Morgan moved on, in Ray's first season we almost go promotion, and if the play offs had existed then we would have been in with them and a good shout for the then Div2 which is championship now

John(Jessie) James was a real battler.

PS He was also part of the team that ran West Ham (with Bobby Moore) pretty close in the FA cup and Newcastle United (with Malcolm MacDonald) close in the League cup

Was that West Ham game a midweek one where Sammy Morgan got sent off for punching Bobby Moore who had purposely planted his studs in the back of Sammy's leg?

I was only 8 when Williams joined the Vale, but I had been a VP regular since age 4 by then. My memories of Williams are not good. My Dad, brother and Grandfather all agreed that he was a poor player in a poor side with the likes of Terry Bailey, Derek Brownbill etc.

He may be a good coach and a man with a great affinity to Port Vale,

but I think that rose tinted spectacles are affecting your memory of him as a player. Just check the old league 3 table and see that his level was almost as bad as the current crop.

Vales player of the year 1972/73 season.

1974/75 he was joint top scorer along with Terry Bailey.14 goals each.

Rico might just manage to beat that this season.

Mat I beg to differ, check the stats.......... Ray had been at Vale for two years before Terry Bailey arrived in 1974, and for 3 years before Derek Brownbill arrived in 1975. He was at his peak in his first two seasons, along with Sammy Morgan, John Woodward, he kept John James (a real all time favourite of mine) out of the team. In his first two seasons Gordon Lee was manager, and Ray's game dipped after Gordon left. Also Sammy Morgan moved on, in Ray's first season we almost go promotion, and if the play offs had existed then we would have been in with them and a good shout for the then Div2 which is championship now

We all see things differently of course, but my memories certainly remain the same. I never liked Ray as a player despite that fact that he seems to be a decent bloke. The term 'legend' is not one that I would associate with RW.

Was that West Ham game a midweek one where Sammy Morgan got sent off for punching Bobby Moore who had purposely planted his studs in the back of Sammy's leg?

No.......Played WHU in the FA Cup on a Saturday no one was sent off half the Vale team could have been ! Tommy Mac was God like that day ran the untouchable Bobby Moore ragged

No.......Played WHU in the FA Cup on a Saturday no one was sent off half the Vale team could have been ! Tommy Mac was God like that day ran the untouchable Bobby Moore ragged

The one I'm thinking of was where Tommy ran left back Lampard (father to Chelsea Frank) ragged. In fact Lampard was so outclassed by Tommy that he was substituted.

Ray was a good player in his time, and the fans of Northwich Vics whom he played for after Vale think of him as one of their best ever.

My favourite player of the late sixties and seventies was Tommy Mc Laren, he gave 100% every game i used to love how he galloped up and down the line either as a winger or later on as a full back. Loved playing for the Vale and never got over being released.

I suspect Ray himself would not describe himself as a Vale legend, though he was a very good player in my humble opinion.

He is certainly a 'Rangers' legend though.

His best partnership was with John Woodward and the two of them were very direct and quick strikers, a joy to watch at times.

Ray Williams was entertaining and he was a good player.

I suspect Ray himself would not describe himself as a Vale legend, though he was a very good player in my humble opinion.

His best partnership was with John Woodward and the two of them were very direct and quick strikers, a joy to watch at times.

:yes::yes::yes:

I watched the DVD again the other night of Stafford Rangers Wembley win in 1972. Ray Williams and Mick Cullerton were as good as players as they are sound blokes. If they can become associated with your new ownership structure you will have two very strong and honest characters.

SRFC fan.

Archived