onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ray Williams-legend

PVTony

Ray Williams joined Port Vale in 1973/74 season.

The former school teacher was signed from Stafford Rangers after a record breaking year where he scored 47 goals including 2 at Wembley in the F.A. challenge trophy.

Pity we can't turn the clock back some 26 years.

Advert

The former school teacher was signed from Stafford Rangers after a record breaking year where he scored 47 goals including 2 at Wembley in the F.A. challenge trophy.

Think you'd need turn it back longer than 26 years. I am 29 this and was born in 1983

Sadly just about all of the post is wrong...........I think you will find that Ray signed for us in 1972 for the start of the 72/73 season, so by my maths that is 40 years ago............other players of that time included Sammy Morgan, Tommy Mac, Brian Horton, John James, Bobby Gough, all of whom would add value to us in their prime

Ray is a legend. Not just because of his playing career. Not just because of his scouting but even during what some might say was an unpopular time- he was very much part of the glue that connected a lot at the vale and even now has been part of a new way forward. Yes a legend but also forward thinking. And a decent bloke- disgusted at our then ceo talking down at him at the meeting in summer- ps he also sussed out sinnot before a lot of people!

I was only 8 when Williams joined the Vale, but I had been a VP regular since age 4 by then. My memories of Williams are not good. My Dad, brother and Grandfather all agreed that he was a poor player in a poor side with the likes of Terry Bailey, Derek Brownbill etc.

He may be a good coach and a man with a great affinity to Port Vale,

but I think that rose tinted spectacles are affecting your memory of him as a player. Just check the old league 3 table and see that his level was almost as bad as the current crop.

I was only 8 when Williams joined the Vale, but I had been a VP regular since age 4 by then. My memories of Williams are not good. My Dad, brother and Grandfather all agreed that he was a poor player in a poor side with the likes of Terry Bailey, Derek Brownbill etc.

He may be a good coach and a man with a great affinity to Port Vale,

but I think that rose tinted spectacles are affecting your memory of him as a player. Just check the old league 3 table and see that his level was almost as bad as the current crop.

Your comments are harsh wish we were in the 3rd div now

Mat I beg to differ, check the stats.......... Ray had been at Vale for two years before Terry Bailey arrived in 1974, and for 3 years before Derek Brownbill arrived in 1975. He was at his peak in his first two seasons, along with Sammy Morgan, John Woodward, he kept John James (a real all time favourite of mine) out of the team. In his first two seasons Gordon Lee was manager, and Ray's game dipped after Gordon left. Also Sammy Morgan moved on, in Ray's first season we almost go promotion, and if the play offs had existed then we would have been in with them and a good shout for the then Div2 which is championship now

Sadly just about all of the post is wrong...........I think you will find that Ray signed for us in 1972 for the start of the 72/73 season, so by my maths that is 40 years ago............other players of that time included Sammy Morgan, Tommy Mac, Brian Horton, John James, Bobby Gough, all of whom would add value to us in their prime

Yep, and I think some others were Colin Tart, John Brodie, Tony Lacey and Bill Summerscales. If I remember Bill didn't play many first team games but played many at centre half for the reserves.

Archived