onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Kidsgrove Athletic v Port Vale, friendly 7/7/22

Advert

8 hours ago, Alsager Whites said:

Words from DC: 

Seems that some players won't play much in pre-season to protect them. And that we're only playing Dundee United in Spain - meaning there's only 2 more friendlies before the big kick off!

How are they going to get fit? Am I missing something? Every other team has got 5-6 friendlies lined up, and our starters are getting 2 at maximum? Confused.com

How unfit can professional footballers get in 4-5 weeks? We stopped playing a month after the rest of L1 so we should be up to back speed far quicker. 

11 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

How unfit can professional footballers get in 4-5 weeks? We stopped playing a month after the rest of L1 so we should be up to back speed far quicker. 

Because they haven’t had the same amount of rest that other clubs will have had before getting back into it. Players don’t just stop for 2 months and come straight back in cold.  During preseason the players arw advised to have a certain amount of  time off doing nothing to let their bodies recover. Then they will start doing a set amount of running before they report back which is designed to gradually build them into a preseason program when they come back in to the club. The 3 week extension to the season is what’s knackered the usual plan up. 

Well things are certainly looking very different than we're used to, so it's no surprise people are getting a bit twitchy, especially as there has been little communication from the club.

DC's article goes some way to explaining the strategy, and that they are adapting to the circumstances...

16 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Adding 2 weeks on to the end of last season has probably placed us 2 weeks behind on signings plus a certain need not to play as many games before the start of the new season. Big disadvantage not going up automatically 

3 weeks!

I will never be going to one of these games again. It was so packed I could not even get a pint. The home fans seemed to be having a ball tho. lol They had drums and tambourines . The sounded like a band. My kids were not happy that there was just 4 first team players.

21 minutes ago, Tapper said:

I will never be going to one of these games again. It was so packed I could not even get a pint. The home fans seemed to be having a ball tho. lol They had drums and tambourines . The sounded like a band. My kids were not happy that there was just 4 first team players.

To be fair though we have put out a strong last over the last few years. 

Didn't go, in the main because was a Thursday. 

However I think that given we only started pre season on Monday we could of half predicted the team. Won't be many of the 92 who jump straight into match action after 3 days. 

But it's a fine balance, will we be undercooked or spot on when the proper stuff starts.

Keep the faith everyone, we know what we are doing these days  .

10 hours ago, Alsager Whites said:

Words from DC: 

Seems that some players won't play much in pre-season to protect them. And that we're only playing Dundee United in Spain - meaning there's only 2 more friendlies before the big kick off!

How are they going to get fit? Am I missing something? Every other team has got 5-6 friendlies lined up, and our starters are getting 2 at maximum? Confused.com

To be honest mate I don’t think it’s as much as an issue as it would be in previous seasons. Our squad will be relatively small and with the 5 subs rule we can pretty much change half of our team at 60 mins anyway so players will get more minutes as the games cone thick and fast early doors in the season with the cup competitions.

If you also factor in the season only ended 1 month ago for the core of our squad it shouldn’t take them long to get going.

It's a fairly unique situation having such a brief time between one season ending and another beginning, with the winter World Cup and us being in the play-off final.

I don't want to speak on behalf of the management but it appears that they've decided to maximise the rest time for the players. Players are expected to retain their fitness during summer breaks anyway. The squad will be very much the same one that won promotion, with a few additions. So they are already very familiar playing as a team and shouldn't need a run of games to gel together.

It would seem as though this pre-season has been focused on getting the players at peak fitness through training and that friendlies are a minimal part of that strategy.

24 minutes ago, MBE said:

To be honest mate I don’t think it’s as much as an issue as it would be in previous seasons. Our squad will be relatively small and with the 5 subs rule we can pretty much change half of our team at 60 mins anyway so players will get more minutes as the games cone thick and fast early doors in the season with the cup competitions.

If you also factor in the season only ended 1 month ago for the core of our squad it shouldn’t take them long to get going.

We can't be using competitive games early doors for them to get fit! They need to be ready to go.

I'm a tad nervy about this. I've never known a team, playoffs or not, have such a tight pre-season with so few first team friendly games. If friendlies aren't needed for fitness, why does every club in the world do them?

Archived