onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Glastonbury 2022

leedsvaliant

2 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

True right? It was embarrassing. He may be a big name in the states but this was a UK festival and you need either huge UK acts or internationally recognised acts.

As I said, no objection to him playing the festival but I think the organisers will think twice when they look at the Pet Shop Boys crowd as opposed to the supposed main headline act. That's got to sting and it looked dreadful on the TV.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

Never really been a fan of the pet shop boys in the day but thought they were brilliant last night 

Advert

5 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

I'm happy to not be relevant. Looking online this morning it seems I'm not the only one that feels that Eilish and Lamar weren't worthy of headlining the world's most famous festival.

Cast would be great but they're not headline material. Their back catalogue isn't strong enough. Status Quo would be a good legends slot but I'm not overly familiar with their work.

Headline acts should transcend eras. I don't like Ed Sheeran but his music has wide appeal from old to young. Similarly Adele. Then you need headline bands that consistently produce quality material like Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, The Stones, Elton John...true headliners that have an extensive and well known back catalogue.

Eilish appeals to angst ridden teenagers and Lamar appeals to middle class posh boys who wannabe gangsters. There's just no mass cross genre appeal as a headline act.

Bearing in mind Status Quo are only 3/4 in existence since Rick Parfitt died, give Fun Loving Criminals or the stranglers another go even tough my good friend and hero Dave Greenfield passed away🥲

6 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

The media generally always tag on to anything that appears a la mode in order to remain relevant.

I feel like some people pretend to like this stuff to look edgy and down with the kids.

Billions of plays on Spotify disagree with you. Literally billions. 
I feel like some people give their opinion on things they know nothing about to look all knowing about every subject they comment on. Billie Eilish is the biggest act on the planet right now and rightfully earned a slot headlining Glastonbury (which isn’t the worlds biggest festival). 

Billions of plays on Spotify disagree with you. Literally billions. 
I feel like some people give their opinion on things they know nothing about to look all knowing about every subject they comment on. Billie Eilish is the biggest act on the planet right now and rightfully earned a slot headlining Glastonbury (which isn’t the worlds biggest festival). 

Billions of people stream The Wheels on the Bus. In this age of easily accessible and disposable music, the amount of downloads is not always an indicator of the quality of the work. You are correct in that I don't know enough about Eilish or Lamar but I have ears and can give an opinion on music. I also feel like people pretend to know something about modern music to make themselves look edgy and go against the prevailing wind. It's like when I was at school, there was always one lad who didn't like what everyone else was into but was always telling us about some Tanzanian Folk Punk band with a dog on vocals (I jest but you get the point).

Glastonbury isn't the biggest festival but it is the most prestigious. Any artist worth their salt will want to play there. When your act consists of pre recorded vocals (which were piped through at the wrong time at one point in her set...embarrassing) or you're rapping over some beats and samples made on a laptop, it becomes glorified karaoke. It always reminds me of Noel Gallagher saying that he envies people like David Guetta because they turn up to their gig, press play on their CD for 2 hours and come away with a million quid for the privilege.

Aren't Billie Eilish's parents famous too? I bet she's never had to work at becoming famous. The PR machine behind her must be astronomical to make her as popular as she is.

Never really been a fan of the pet shop boys in the day but thought they were brilliant last night 
Nor me but they've mastered their craft over 40 odd years and are talented..Eilish and co could only dream of penning West End Girls. I'd love to see the comparative crowd and viewing figures between the two stages.

31 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

Nor me but they've mastered their craft over 40 odd years and are talented..Eilish and co could only dream of penning West End Girls. I'd love to see the comparative crowd and viewing figures between the two stages.

I thought they were brilliant too as was the  iconic Diana  Ross who helped lead a musical revolution with Motown: if only, and it’s a big impossible if, I could hear the wonderful Marvin Gaye again, the music of my teenage years, thanks to my brother: but there are too many if only’s 

1 hour ago, leedsvaliant said:

Billions of people stream The Wheels on the Bus. In this age of easily accessible and disposable music, the amount of downloads is not always an indicator of the quality of the work. You are correct in that I don't know enough about Eilish or Lamar but I have ears and can give an opinion on music. I also feel like people pretend to know something about modern music to make themselves look edgy and go against the prevailing wind. It's like when I was at school, there was always one lad who didn't like what everyone else was into but was always telling us about some Tanzanian Folk Punk band with a dog on vocals (I jest but you get the point).

Glastonbury isn't the biggest festival but it is the most prestigious. Any artist worth their salt will want to play there. When your act consists of pre recorded vocals (which were piped through at the wrong time at one point in her set...embarrassing) or you're rapping over some beats and samples made on a laptop, it becomes glorified karaoke. It always reminds me of Noel Gallagher saying that he envies people like David Guetta because they turn up to their gig, press play on their CD for 2 hours and come away with a million quid for the privilege.

Aren't Billie Eilish's parents famous too? I bet she's never had to work at becoming famous. The PR machine behind her must be astronomical to make her as popular as she is.

It’s ok to have an opinion but when you are stating it as a matter of fact it shows you up a bit. 

2 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

My advice...if you think something is a load of worthless sh!t then just ignore it! Don't bother watching ... you know it's going to be rubbish so just avoid it. Why torture yourself?

Nearly everything you have posted has been presented as fact.
Where? In my opinion those two headline acts are talentless nobodies. In my opinion their music will not last. In my opinion they weren't worthy of headlining. I've not stated anything as fact. Clearly people disagree with me. You can't have a factual opinion about music as it's so subjective. I think you just like spoiling for an argument.

My advice...if you think something is a load of worthless sh!t then just ignore it! Don't bother watching ... you know it's going to be rubbish so just avoid it. Why torture yourself?
I agree but I just wanted to see what the fuss was about. I went into it with an open mind and didn't really know what to expect, so I didn't know whether it would be rubbish or not, but I'm still at a loss as to why or how this is popular.

Music has been critiqued for as long as it has existed but a couple on this thread got quite defensive because I dare to voice an opinion on music, of which I have played and listened to a lot over the years.

You seem fond of saying people are aggresive and defensive when all they've done is point out you are talking rubbish. You haven't offered an opinion, you have constantly posted it as fact which is why I challenged your nonsense. Anyway, I'm out.
In your opinion I'm talking rubbish. Point out where I'm presenting things as facts. It's all my opinion...if you can't see that it's probably best you are out.

I notice that you do this on other threads, get involved in a debate, realise your argument is poor and then jib out before anyone notices. I honestly think you're just taking the contrary view to create an argument. Odd behaviour.

Archived