onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Glastonbury 2022

leedsvaliant

Stating that someone's taking is not being aggressive.
It is really. Your position from the outset was one of aggression and using swear words. I just simply had an opinion. You can debate and disagree but no need to be so aggressive with it. It's your opinion that I'm talking <ovf censored>, not a fact.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

Advert

Saying that you are talking <ovf censored> is not aggression, you silly man. It's merely saying that you are talking <ovf censored>. You seem pretty happy to pass off your opinion as fact when you feel like it too.

I don't particularly like Kendrick Lamar's music but to deride one of the world's best selling and most popular rap artists as "style over substance" is cringey <ovf censored>. To say that no-one will remember Billie Eilish (one of the most popular female artists on the planet) in 50 years when people still remember Joe <ovf censored> Dolce is laughable.

Saying that you are talking is not aggression, you silly man. It's merely saying that you are talking . You seem pretty happy to pass off your opinion as fact when you feel like it too.
I don't particularly like Kendrick Lamar's music but to deride one of the world's best selling and most popular rap artists as "style over substance" is cringey . To say that no-one will remember Billie Eilish (one of the most popular female artists on the planet) in 50 years when people still remember Joe Dolce is laughable.
There you go again with insults! I think you need to calm down a bit.

Rap is not my thing but to me there are far better rap artists out there than that pap. Fine for him to perform at Glastonbury but not as the closing headline act.

As for Eilish, we'll see. According to Wikipedia she's done 2 albums. Way too early to discern whether she's any good and certainly too early to be the headline spot. Kanye West I could understand but I think the line up this year was as poor as I can remember.

7 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

Queen and Pink Floyd had the songs to back up any gimmicks. That's the difference. My nan died at 96 last year, and she loved The Beatles and The Stones and she was in her 40s when they were popular. This notion that older people have always rubbished current music is a lie. I like lots of current music.

They are weak songs, they meander and have no real melody. Just pretty depressing to be honest. The only song with a half decent hook is 'bad guy' but it's hardly Bohemian Rhapsody is it?

In your opinion they are weak songs. In the opinion of hundreds of millions of other people they are not. Plenty of older people would have thought bohemian rhapsody is no Perry Como. 

In your opinion they are weak songs. In the opinion of hundreds of millions of other people they are not. Plenty of older people would have thought bohemian rhapsody is no Perry Como. 
It seems like my opinion resonates with others. Did you see the size of the crowd for Lamar? There was so much space. Previous worthy headliners like The Stones, Oasis, Radiohead the people were packed in. You couldn't see any space for miles.

I'm willing to place a bet now that nobody will be singing Billie Eilish songs in 50 years time. That to me is the testament of good music. The world's biggest festival should do better for headliners. Jay Z I could understand, Kanye West I could understand....they had a back catalogue and global presence and I had heard of them. I asked among friends, some who are younger than me, and nobody had heard of Lamar. Like I say, I don't mind the guy playing at Glastonbury, it should be diverse musical tastes, but as a headline act? I'm not convinced and based on the crowd he attracted, neither were the attendees...there looked like more watching the Pet Shop Boys!

I thought his last song in particular was incredible. Really powerful stuff.
Reviews seem to be glowing too. NME, Independent, Telegraph, Guardian all give 4 or 5 stars out of 5.
The media generally always tag on to anything that appears a la mode in order to remain relevant.

I feel like some people pretend to like this stuff to look edgy and down with the kids.

Well there's no danger of you being perceived as relevant. Hopefully they'll get a headliner next year that you approve of. Someone like Status Quo or Cast.
I'm happy to not be relevant. Looking online this morning it seems I'm not the only one that feels that Eilish and Lamar weren't worthy of headlining the world's most famous festival.

Cast would be great but they're not headline material. Their back catalogue isn't strong enough. Status Quo would be a good legends slot but I'm not overly familiar with their work.

Headline acts should transcend eras. I don't like Ed Sheeran but his music has wide appeal from old to young. Similarly Adele. Then you need headline bands that consistently produce quality material like Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, The Stones, Elton John...true headliners that have an extensive and well known back catalogue.

Eilish appeals to angst ridden teenagers and Lamar appeals to middle class posh boys who wannabe gangsters. There's just no mass cross genre appeal as a headline act.

Says it all for me that they had to do a trailer video explaining who Lamar was, to say he was a headline act, I’d never heard of him 
True right? It was embarrassing. He may be a big name in the states but this was a UK festival and you need either huge UK acts or internationally recognised acts.

As I said, no objection to him playing the festival but I think the organisers will think twice when they look at the Pet Shop Boys crowd as opposed to the supposed main headline act. That's got to sting and it looked dreadful on the TV.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Says it all for me that they had to do a trailer video explaining who Lamar was, to say he was a headline act, I’d never heard of him 

You do know they have those before all the headliners and have done so for several years? The fact that you've never heard of the multi-million selling Lamar says more about you than him.

Archived