onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Glastonbury 2022

leedsvaliant

I’m probably on my own here but I thought McCartney was awful. Waste of a headliner. Compare his performance to Billie Eilish (whose music doesn’t appeal to me) but her performance and the show she put on was awesome and Macca just looked tired and dated. Noel was Noel. Sam fender was quality and the best for me. 

supergrass always good and one of the most underrated bands of the last few decades for me. 

Advert

19 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

Jean, She was good....many,many years ago but tonight it was embarrassing. Did she move more than 6 inches the whole set? Turgid has been.

Did Paul McCartney move more than 6 inches for the whole set (apart from on that stupid hydraulic lift)? Did Neil Gallagher? How dare the 78 year old woman just stand there and sing, and not prance about to her peerless classics.

42 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

Jean, She was good....many,many years ago but tonight it was embarrassing. Did she move more than 6 inches the whole set? Turgid has been.

As I said, it’s all matter of taste. That Jack Wotsit with the blue hair jumped about all over the place but I thought he was awful. 

I’m probably on my own here but I thought McCartney was awful. Waste of a headliner. Compare his performance to Billie Eilish (whose music doesn’t appeal to me) but her performance and the show she put on was awesome and Macca just looked tired and dated. Noel was Noel. Sam fender was quality and the best for me. 

supergrass always good and one of the most underrated bands of the last few decades for me. 

The first hour of McCartney I'd agree with but the last hour was just brilliant. He played probably one of the greatest sections of any album in Abbey Road and dueted with a virtual Lennon. He doesn't need the style and gimmicks of Eilish as his tunes stand the test of time. Eilish and her ilk require a 'show ' because their songs are so weak.

Same with this Lammar character....it's all style over substance. Nobody will remember anything of his in 10 years, never mind 60 years.

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

God, you should hear yourself. You sound like a boring old man. Who gives a <ovf censored> about whether songs are remembered tomorrow or in a 1000 years. It's pop music, much of it's about now and vibrancy and sex and youth and excitement and grins, not about some old bloke stroking his chin and going ooh this will be remembered. The equivalent of you (and others) were stood around poo-pooing the Beatles back in the day.  At least the likes of Lamarr and Eilish are trading on present glories, unlike McCartney who inspired a nation to switch on their kettles every time he played anything more recent than 50 yrs ago.

God, you should hear yourself. You sound like a boring old man. Who gives a about whether songs are remembered tomorrow or in a 1000 years. It's pop music, much of it's about now and vibrancy and sex and youth and excitement and grins, not about some old bloke stroking his chin and going ooh this will be remembered. The equivalent of you (and others) were stood around poo-pooing the Beatles back in the day.  At least the likes of Lamarr and Eilish are trading on present glories, unlike McCartney who inspired a nation to switch on their kettles every time he played anything more recent than 50 yrs ago.

I disagree. Music should be about music not how many gimmicks you can fit into a set or how good your backing track is. Or how many dancers you have on stage. I can pretty much guarantee that neither Eilish or Lamar songs will be still sung in 50 years time. That's not being a boring old man
...listen to Eilish's set...can you imagine any of that being remembered? There's not a memorable song amongst it. Vibrant? Sexy? It was just dirge against a pre recorded backing track. If it had melody then I'd be the first to say it's exciting.

These acts should be getting down on their hands and knees and thanking the lord for McCartney...without him and Lennon many of these acts wouldn't exist.

I'm clearly not the target audience for it but I'm scratching my head as to how they are currently so popular.

1 minute ago, leedsvaliant said:

I'm clearly not the target audience for it but I'm scratching my head as to how they are currently so popular.

You've answered your own question there.

People still remember Spice Girls and Britney Spears songs 25 or so years on and I'm sure they will in another 25 years. Abba were frequently dismissed as pap. Lots of <ovf censored> records are still remembered 50, 60, 70 years later and lots of great records from 10 years ago are pretty much forgotten or languish in obscurity. You're taking <ovf censored> when you say those artists' songs won't be remembered in x amount of years. Billie Eilish has sold over 5 million albums and that's to a generation that download in massive amounts, and Kendrick Lamar has sold thirty five million. Yep. 35,000,000. I can pretty much guarantee that you are completely out of touch and are chatting <ovf censored>.

You've answered your own question there.
People still remember Spice Girls and Britney Spears songs 25 or so years on and I'm sure they will in another 25 years. Abba were frequently dismissed as pap. Lots of records are still remembered 50, 60, 70 years later and lots of great records from 10 years ago are pretty much forgotten or languish in obscurity. You're taking when you say those artists' songs won't be remembered in x amount of years. Billie Eilish has sold over 5 million albums and that's to a generation that download in massive amounts, and Kendrick Lamar has sold thirty five million. Yep. 35,000,000. I can pretty much guarantee that you are completely out of touch and are chatting .

You're being quite aggressive here. What's your issue?

There are lots of current artists who I think write good melodies and will have longevity. I'm talking about these 2 specifically...the music has taken a back seat over their image. The Spice Girls, ABBA, Queen, Elton John, all who are not really my thing can craft a decent song with a hook or a melody. It's actually quite insulting that you feel Eilish has more right to be a Glastonbury headliner against possibly the greatest songwriter of all time.

Hip hop and rap is huge in the states, so those sorts of figures don't surprise me out of a population of nearly 300 million people. I'm not having a go at him specifically as I actually quite like some rap music but the set consisted of some silly dancing and him shouting over a pre recorded backing track. That's not worthy of a headline slot at the world's biggest music festival. Eilish did the same, pre recorded stuff to dub over...it's just not good enough.

1 hour ago, leedsvaliant said:

He doesn't need the style and gimmicks of Eilish as his tunes stand the test of time. Eilish and her ilk require a 'show ' because their songs are so weak.

(Old) People used to say the same about Queen and Pink Floyd back in the day too. 

they certainly aren’t weak songs and I’m not even a fan but as a lifelong musician I can appreciate how well put together they are. 

(Old) People used to say the same about Queen and Pink Floyd back in the day too. 

they certainly aren’t weak songs and I’m not even a fan but as a lifelong musician I can appreciate how well put together they are. 

Queen and Pink Floyd had the songs to back up any gimmicks. That's the difference. My nan died at 96 last year, and she loved The Beatles and The Stones and she was in her 40s when they were popular. This notion that older people have always rubbished current music is a lie. I like lots of current music.

They are weak songs, they meander and have no real melody. Just pretty depressing to be honest. The only song with a half decent hook is 'bad guy' but it's hardly Bohemian Rhapsody is it?

Archived