onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Glastonbury 2022

leedsvaliant

Anyone watching?

Am I missing something with Billie Eilish? I tried but it just seemed like one dirge after another with no melody, an inaudible voice and over reliance on a backing track. I'm approaching my 40s , so admittedly I'm not her target audience but is this really the future of music?

Thought Crowded House and Supergrass were decent yesterday. They can actually craft a melody and a hook rather than trying to rely on style over substance.

A few seemed to be raving about Foals, they seem like another Editors to me.....a good groove but really lacking in decent melodies. I'd imagine an album would be dull.

The lineup is pretty dreadful this time or perhaps I'm just not up to date with modern music. If you compare it to say 95 or 97 it's dreadful. Perhaps it's a reflection that there's just not many good bands around at the moment?

Sent from my SM-A920F using onevalefan mobile app

Advert

4 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

Anyone watching?

Am I missing something with Billie Eilish? I tried but it just seemed like one dirge after another with no melody, an inaudible voice and over reliance on a backing track. I'm approaching my 40s , so admittedly I'm not her target audience but is this really the future of music?

Thought Crowded House and Supergrass were decent yesterday. They can actually craft a melody and a hook rather than trying to rely on style over substance.

A few seemed to be raving about Foals, they seem like another Editors to me.....a good groove but really lacking in decent melodies. I'd imagine an album would be dull.

The lineup is pretty dreadful this time or perhaps just not up to date with modern music. If you compare it to say 95 or 97 it's dreadful. Perhaps it's a reflection that there's just not many good bands around at the moment?

I like the Foals. Older stuff is better i think. 

I do agree about the modern scene though , a lot of samey music nowadays.

Sam fender, blossoms and DMAS are probably the only current stuff I listen to.

Noel G tonight isn't it ? Loved his first two albums but not a fan of his newish stuff 

Pretty poor line up IMP. Compared to the last one anyway - a lot that I love not there (Killers, Biffy Clyro, Gerry Cinnamon, liam gallagher) ect. I know a few played there last time and killers headlined, but all touring now / recently so bit odd none are there. 

Only real acts for me are Noel, McCartney, Foals, Sam Fender, DMAS and Blossoms  - saw Blossoms the other week with Killers and they were ok. 

Foals for me have 1/2 really good songs per album but the rest is a bit meh, few top songs early doors though  

Agree though, pretty rubbish line up, a lot of rap and pop <ovf censored>. Don’t get the fuss with Billie - saw article yesterday where she admitted she has a look alike that goes on stage at times!!!! 

I like the Foals. Older stuff is better i think. 
I do agree about the modern scene though , a lot of samey music nowadays.
Sam fender, blossoms and DMAS are probably the only current stuff I listen to.
Noel G tonight isn't it ? Loved his first two albums but not a fan of his newish stuff 

I thought Sam Fender was pretty good. I'm the same with noel g. It seems like he's tried to be experimental with recent albums but it just comes across as pretentious self indulgent rubbish.

McCartney tonight too. I'm dubious as to how well an 80 year old's voice stands up but if he plays the hits and not some of his dodgy solo stuff then we should be alright.

I see from Twitter that Carol is still there.  She’ll feel quite at home as our local rag reports that oatcakes are on sale, although some of the fillings would cause a huge lynch mob to take to the streets with pitchforks if offered up here.

Quite how she’s managing to look so fresh I don’t know, that new Vale top must be made out of teflon to stay looking so clean.  The last picture I’ve got from down there shows me with somebody’s vomit down the front of my shirt.  What it doesn’t show is somebody else’s vomit down the back. 🙄

I liked the show with Billie Eilish but after 2/3 songs I'd had enough.  Very samey to say the least.

I'm 40 now and don't find myself liking much new stuff at all these days.  I keep questioning myself, as in, am I just saying what everyone getting a bit older says about modern music?  But I just cannot see the likes of Billie Eilish and Sam Fender, who are big now, being played in ten years time.

Today, you need a song that's instantly recognisable and catchy and that's it.  The focus is on producing something that people put on repeat on Spotify.  It took Pink Floyd 7 albums to come up with Dark Side Of The Moon!

I think Foals were decent around the Holy Fire/What Went Down albums but they're off my radar now.

Of all the new bands I'd say I only really like Idles and Fontaines DC.  And, again, will I be listening to them in ten years?  I'm suspecting no.

I liked the show with Billie Eilish but after 2/3 songs I'd had enough.  Very samey to say the least.
I'm 40 now and don't find myself liking much new stuff at all these days.  I keep questioning myself, as in, am I just saying what everyone getting a bit older says about modern music?  But I just cannot see the likes of Billie Eilish and Sam Fender, who are big now, being played in ten years time.
Today, you need a song that's instantly recognisable and catchy and that's it.  The focus is on producing something that people put on repeat on Spotify.  It took Pink Floyd 7 albums to come up with Dark Side Of The Moon!
I think Foals were decent around the Holy Fire/What Went Down albums but they're off my radar now.
Of all the new bands I'd say I only really like Idles and Fontaines DC.  And, again, will I be listening to them in ten years?  I'm suspecting no.
There's definitely no longevity with the songs. The Beatles, The Stones even less cool acts like Elton John are still popular now because the melodies are timeless. People can sing along to them. I couldn't remember Eilish's songs immediately after she'd finished them, never mind in 10 years time. You need a hook and a melody and it seems to be sadly lacking. Look at the 90s.....every band, Oasis, Blur, Shed Seven, Ocean Colour Scene, Pulp, The Charlatans all wrote songs with melodies and hooks that people are still familiar with 30 years later.

It's as though modern bands are trying to be too clever and try something different but they've championed style over substance. You've still got to be able to craft decent songs otherwise you get the dirge that Eilish churned out last night. Not a memorable pop song among them.

16 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

There's definitely no longevity with the songs. The Beatles, The Stones even less cool acts like Elton John are still popular now because the melodies are timeless. People can sing along to them. I couldn't remember Eilish's songs immediately after she'd finished them, never mind in 10 years time. You need a hook and a melody and it seems to be sadly lacking. Look at the 90s.....every band, Oasis, Blur, Shed Seven, Ocean Colour Scene, Pulp, The Charlatans all wrote songs with melodies and hooks that people are still familiar with 30 years later.

It's as though modern bands are trying to be too clever and try something different but they've championed style over substance. You've still got to be able to craft decent songs otherwise you get the dirge that Eilish churned out last night. Not a memorable pop song among them.

True.

I feel very privileged to have had the 90s as my musical education.  Some absolutely fantastic stuff came out of there and I go back to it time and again.

Noel is currently doing a very good set, I'm enjoying this.

Archived