onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF feature: No youth team players have been offered professional terms by Port Vale

News Feed

Port Vale striker Eden Bailey

The Sentinel reports that for the second season running, Port Vale have opted not to take any youth team players into the senior ranks. The Valiants say that improving the academy is a high priority albeit a long-term one as the club aims to become self-sufficient in the long-term. However, that means that the likes […]

The post No youth team players have been offered professional terms by Port Vale appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

View the full article

Advert

Looks like we're just going to have to be patient on this issue.  I've no reason to believe they're not sincere in the aim of developing the academy as this surely must be a way forward for the future?  However, it must be disappointing to those guys currently in the academy group.

My son ,from the age of 10 ,was under the guidance of Mike Pejic when he was coach at Vale , some years ago now. A great set of lads and very promising team , so much that Pej decided to take this team every year to develop them . Clubs like Everton and Man City constantly watching  , as the team were winning trophies . Couple of lads offered places at Man City ,but decided to stay with Vale . Things were looking good and the feeling was that Pejic was going to keep the majority of the lads on . However , When he as first  team coach was sacked at Vale , Ian Miller took over looking after the lads ,and completely changed everything , resulting that not one lad was kept on . How different things might have been , but that’how it goes no guarantees in football.

56 minutes ago, aspin for england said:

My son ,from the age of 10 ,was under the guidance of Mike Pejic when he was coach at Vale , some years ago now. A great set of lads and very promising team , so much that Pej decided to take this team every year to develop them . Clubs like Everton and Man City constantly watching  , as the team were winning trophies . Couple of lads offered places at Man City ,but decided to stay with Vale . Things were looking good and the feeling was that Pejic was going to keep the majority of the lads on . However , When he as first  team coach was sacked at Vale , Ian Miller took over looking after the lads ,and completely changed everything , resulting that not one lad was kept on . How different things might have been , but that’how it goes no guarantees in football.

Did any of those players go on to make a career as professionals?

I can only think of Charlie Raglan from recent years who has made it elsewhere, which would seem to support that the players being released aren't at the required standard.

32 minutes ago, RobC said:

Did any of those players go on to make a career as professionals?

I can only think of Charlie Raglan from recent years who has made it elsewhere, which would seem to support that the players being released aren't at the required standard.

Not too sure about lads from out of the area , but I know local lads didn’t , not as full time pros anyway. A few left when Ian Miller took over , his approach was miles away from what Mike Pejic was teaching the lads , John Wilkes left Vale and managed to get taken on by Everton . 
It’s hard  because what one coach sees ,another might not . I know of one lad a full back ,who couldn’t get a regular game for his club , used mainly as a sub  ,a new coach come in he played for the last few games of the season , he was the only one to be given a contract. 

If it’s not cost affective then scrap it. The big clubs will take the players when they’re younger not in their late teens. It’s proven that academies do not work by the amount of players that come through. Brentford scrapped their academy years ago and pick up the players that the big clubs release from their academies, hasn’t done them any harm.

12 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

If it’s not cost affective then scrap it. The big clubs will take the players when they’re younger not in their late teens. It’s proven that academies do not work by the amount of players that come through. Brentford scrapped their academy years ago and pick up the players that the big clubs release from their academies, hasn’t done them any harm.

Vale had a young lad ,who they picked up from a team called Telford Jacks . He played a for Vale a year above his age at the keele classic and won player of the tournament . As a 15/16 yr old he was asked to go for England trials . Pejic didn’t want to send him , Sir John did . He went and got picked up by Man Utd . His name was David Johnson ,played and scored for Man U , and  think he made his name at Forest .

I get that different coaches see different things, and also that some players just work at certain clubs and not others. I'd guess if we were releasing people who get picked up and go elsewhere that can be seen as a mistake. If they don't make it at all, and the vast majority released by Vale don't, that's the right decision to release them. Brings other questions about recruitment and how those recruited are coached, but we mustn't forget how competitive it is and how high the standard to be a pro is.

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

It's the same for most clubs though?

I doubt the aim is to sign 7-8 youth players on pro deals every year. I'd imagine it's more about the 1 or 2 every few years that can fetch a fee. Like Exeter have done with Matt Grimes, Ethan Ampadu and Ollie Watkins. Then if you get a sell on clause and they get sold again it can be a nice earner.

46 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

It's the same for most clubs though?

I doubt the aim is to sign 7-8 youth players on pro deals every year. I'd imagine it's more about the 1 or 2 every few years that can fetch a fee. Like Exeter have done with Matt Grimes, Ethan Ampadu and Ollie Watkins. Then if you get a sell on clause and they get sold again it can be a nice earner.

VPL, I understand what you’re saying Exeter is a good example. The three that you mentioned were all from the South West. Again what is that as a percentage of clubs bringing through youth. MUFC should be doing it as they’ve always scouted the best lads but they can’t do it anymore. Most EPL academies don’t produce players for their first team. They used financially by sending them out on loan and charging the club for the loan. It’s a good idea but as previously stated it doesn’t work because the elite clubs mop up talent very early and what lad and his parents are going to say no to an elite club. You could take this to the U23’s if they’re playing that standard of football at 23, extremely unlikely they’ll make the EPL first teams. We operate on an uneven playing field with the big clubs, unfair definitely, but I’m afraid it’s reality, these clubs are everything that’s wrong with football today.

On 24/06/2022 at 07:47, News Feed said:

Port Vale striker Eden Bailey

The Sentinel reports that for the second season running, Port Vale have opted not to take any youth team players into the senior ranks. The Valiants say that improving the academy is a high priority albeit a long-term one as the club aims to become self-sufficient in the long-term. However, that means that the likes […]

The post No youth team players have been offered professional terms by Port Vale appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

View the full article

2 seasons without 1 player pushing through??? theres something wrong. bring back the reserves and give outside players to play competative foootball.😏

This shows how hard it is to get many players to become full time League standard players, many fall by the wayside, drop down and some as I mentioned like an Ian Taylor in another thread are just missed. 

These are just young players, hopefully, well I do know, the Vale do support them, re life skills and moving on. 

As PA mentions the best ones get stolen, but the Academy for the younger ones, Girls and boys is vital. It provides so much and in this age, its nice to be happy having a good training session or just a kick around. 

UTV Port Vale Youth

Archived