onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pre-season friendlies

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

3 hours ago, Alsager Whites said:

Charsley, Jones, Robinson and Ojo could play 3 friendlies. Same goes for the youth team players McDermott and Plant, and the trialist Agyakwa. Apart from Ojo I doubt any of these will start against Fleetwood.

9 players (Stone, Cass, Smith, Hall, Proctor, Benning, Garrity, Walker, Worrall) could play 2. 

At best Wilson, Pett and Hussey will play 1 game before competitive league action. Same goes for any new signings if they are currently unattached - not the case for loans. Conlon will probably play 0, understandably.

I remain nervous about this. 

As long as they train together, it is just the same as a midweek training session during the season. 

Fitness is the key and avoiding injuries. 

They dont need 7 friendlies to do this. 

We all know pre season games are not competetive, well most 🙂 

I would rather they work on the formation, set pieces, team bonding again. 

Team spirit is what got us up, from all areas of the club, plus these are professional sportspeople and should be treated that way. Trust the players to perform.

Charsley, Jones, Robinson and Ojo could play 3 friendlies. Same goes for the youth team players McDermott and Plant, and the trialist Agyakwa. Apart from Ojo I doubt any of these will start against Fleetwood.
9 players (Stone, Cass, Smith, Hall, Proctor, Benning, Garrity, Walker, Worrall) could play 2. 
At best Wilson, Pett and Hussey will play 1 game before competitive league action. Same goes for any new signings if they are currently unattached - not the case for loans. Conlon will probably play 0, understandably.
I remain nervous about this. 
DC knows what he's doing,he's taken teams up after play off games before so he knows what's needed

2 hours ago, ginginator said:

As long as they train together, it is just the same as a midweek training session during the season. 

Team spirit is what got us up, from all areas of the club, plus these are professional sportspeople and should be treated that way. Trust the players to perform.

You make some good points, but if friendlies are not needed, then why does every football club in the world do them?

I think team spirit had a role but I also think us having good footballers got us promoted.

2 hours ago, ginginator said:

Best way of gaining match fitness is to play friendlies though, you don’t gain match fitness from training. 

Yes, and last time DC won promotion to League 1 via the playoffs he oversaw NINE pre-season friendlies.

He really is a great manager isn’t he , getting two different teams up into league 1 , carry on like this and we may even ending up having some confidence in his football management skills

Just out of curiosity what is the difference between playing a half in a friendly against Newcastle Town and playing a 45 minute internal match in training?

Other than there being a crowd, unfamiliar players and the increased liklihood of someone being crunched in a tackle I'm not sure that there is that much difference.

We haven't had many new additions so most of the squad know the patterns of play and have an understanding of each other. You can approach a practice match in much the same way.

I found it interesting to see this tweet:
I suspect that may prompt some fans to bemoan the current size of our squad, but I wonder if that was deliberate so that Vale could deliberately test themselves when the other side is pressing with a man more? 
I guess if fans were present it would be easy to tell whether it was a calm, prepared substitution or not - but when all we have is tweets, it's tricky to know the reasoning (good or bad) behind something like that. 
My thoughts on seeing the same tweet were that it seemed like a plan to save legs and also test the shape and formation under a 10 man situation which if true is simply astounding planning that you would deliberately play 10 against 11 to test whether you can hold out.

My thoughts on seeing the same tweet were that it seemed like a plan to save legs and also test the shape and formation under a 10 man situation which if true is simply astounding planning that you would deliberately play 10 against 11 to test whether you can hold out.
It would certainly make it a more rigorous workout.

Archived