onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Colin Grainger

capirex

Former Vale winger Colin Grainger has passed away aged 89. He won seven full England caps and scored twice against Brazil on his debut. He joined Vale from Leeds in 1961 and played under both Norman Low and Freddie Steele. Colin was also a professional singer and once appeared on the bill with The Beatles.

Advert

2 hours ago, capirex said:

Former Vale winger Colin Grainger has passed away aged 89. He won seven full England caps and scored twice against Brazil on his debut. He joined Vale from Leeds in 1961 and played under both Norman Low and Freddie Steele. Colin was also a professional singer and once appeared on the bill with The Beatles.

Imagine the excitement signing him.  Always remembered for knocking Sunderland and Cloughie out of the Cup. Probably the attraction of a singing shortened his playing career. Thanks a lot Colin. R.I.P.

Read his book earlier this year. Seemed a well grounded bloke considering he scored against Brazil in his international player and performed on the big stage in his singing a career.

I can remember a few years back when my mate's father, who had been going to Vale years, was asked who was the best player he had seen play for Vale and he responded with "Colin Grainger". A bit before my time but he must have been some player.

I believe he played at Sunderland and Vale with Billy Bingham who also passed away this month.

RIP guys.

Another loss of a former player.  Colin Grainer was the first Port Vale player I ever saw scoring a goal on my first visit to Vale Park in December 1962 in a 2-2 draw against Wrexham.  I don't remember too much about that goal.

However, I have a vivid recall of the next Colin Grainger goal I saw.  It was in March 1963 when we played first Division Sheffield United at home in the 4th round of the FA Cup.  That was the season of the big freeze and this game was one of the first to take place after a couple of months of postponements.

It was hammering down with rain, Vale were attacking the Hamil Road end and the ball was loose just outside the area on our left.  Colin hit it all along the ground to go into the right hand corner of the net, beating England goal keeper Alan Hodgkinson.

Colin was a classy player, as you would expect from an England international.  Sadly, he picked up an injury and we never saw the best of him again before he left for Doncaster.

As a little boy I had huge pride that Port Vale had an England international playing for them.  What's more an England international who scored twice against Brazil at Wembley.

RIP Colin, you lived long and prospered.  You leave many happy memories behind.

Archived