onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Talk the pruhcess

valeitup

Advert

It was a great interview but it needs to be backed up somewhat this season.
Imagine how silly he will look if we got relegated now.
For me, L1 is our level. That's where we should be. The Championship would be a dream and if we were to get there, I think we would be punching above our weight (but I'd absolutely love it!).
There's absolutely no way we'll get relegated next season, I'll call it now. 3 or 4 additions using the process and keep Gibbo and Proctor and comfortable mid table at least is what I see

For me, L1 is our level. That's where we should be. The Championship would be a dream and if we were to get there, I think we would be punching above our weight (but I'd absolutely love it!).

Do you think Brentford fans would have said that all those years ago… I suspect so, stuff happens, really positive to hear the progress

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Love the way the club has been transformed, from being a cash cow for a greedy owner happy to let the biggest assets eat out of date pies and being a laughing stock amongst other clubs, to having a professional set up the envy of many, a global superstar performing in front of 20k+ (the idea of that along happening under Smirthwaite is laughable) and being the beacon of the community.

But I agree, as we’ve seen before, many clubs at our level are only one transfer window away from turning a good season into a bad one. Look at clubs like Wimbledon, seemingly well run, great ground, again engrained in the community, but now back in L2.

When you look in L1, there is a clear divide, it’s very unforgiving and has almost become a three-tier league of (mostly) ex-Prem clubs like Sheff Wed, Derby, Charlton, Bolton, Portsmouth, Plymouth and Barnsley who all have average 5-figure attendances, wannabes like McDons, us, Wycombe, Peterborough, Oxford, Brizzle and Shrewsbury, and then the likes of Cambridge, Accrington, Morecombe, FGR etc.

I thought, by and large, the standard of football was good in L2 last year. Despite everything else, Swindon for example tore us a new one in the home game (even before Cov’s sending off), likewise Rochdale, Orient were decent at the start. Accrington I recall played us off the park until we got a goal out of nothing and then they got a red, whereas Burton away was another test that turned on two bits of individual brilliance.

So I’m looking forward to the new season, visiting some top grounds and hopefully a top half finish, without having to look over our shoulder too much.

7 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Wow! What a great interview from DF!!! If you can't get excited over the vision for our club you should, perhaps, go elsewhere? The plans for the Academy, and the desire to get back to the Championship and the progress to the infrastructure that Carol has supported WILL pay dividends - eventually. It may not be next season but, certainly within 3 or 4 seasons, we will be challenging for promotion from Lge 1, and will be producing our own players from the Academy who will have a genuine chance for success! That was such a positive interview, it almost didn't seem like a Vale one - but, we have already seen the changes in all aspects of the club, and now there is recognition of the things we don't do so well, and the need to put them right! I think our future's bright!

They gave Clarke a 5yr deal because they believe he will be the man to take us to the Championship within those 5yrs and i am jumping on that train..... bring it on and lets enjoy the ride

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

I think we will be ok next season and regarding the Championship I personally dont think we would struggle as much as some think,yes it would be hard and we would be competing against many established teams in that League but Luton haven't done to bad.

Also we would have added investment from people who WILL invest at that level

Can we somehow make the reading of this entire thread compulsory before posting a reaction to any match thread next season is allowed? A couple of bad results and the usual suspects will be demanding the managers head and a complete overhaul of the way the club is run. This season has been fantastic in the circumstances and should not be permitted to be forgotten

15 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Can we somehow make the reading of this entire thread compulsory before posting a reaction to any match thread next season is allowed? A couple of bad results and the usual suspects will be demanding the managers head and a complete overhaul of the way the club is run. This season has been fantastic in the circumstances and should not be permitted to be forgotten

I agree, but I don’t think that last season anyone (even the most negative posters) called for management change. Supporters are allowed to critically appraise all performances / results without being labelled whingers and saboteurs!

I agree, but I don’t think that last season anyone (even the most negative posters) called for management change. Supporters are allowed to critically appraise all performances / results without being labelled whingers and saboteurs!
I agree. But that said someone did call for Crosby to be sacked after Colchester (think it was that game). Not saying people can't have a moan (I can moan with the best) but hope there's a little more perspective at times and an appreciation that DC etc don't suddenly become bad after a few poor results

It's certainly a great read and I would think the footballing side of the business is the most professional and most forward-thinking that it's ever been.

Even when Rudgie was delivered success, he was always hamstrung by the Bill Bell shenanigans behind the scenes (a miracle JR stayed so long and managed so much) so I do think the ideas and plans Flitcroft mentioned are the most exciting and ambitious I have ever heard in my time as a fan.

Of course plans have to be executed to succeed but I cannot fault the ambition and why not think big? It was a real pleasure to read that and see the thought, the drive and the passion going in, often behind the scenes, at the club.

It's certainly a great read and I would think the footballing side of the business is the most professional and most forward-thinking that it's ever been.
Even when Rudgie was delivered success, he was always hamstrung by the Bill Bell shenanigans behind the scenes (a miracle JR stayed so long and managed so much) so I do think the ideas and plans Flitcroft mentioned are the most exciting and ambitious I have ever heard in my time as a fan.
Of course plans have to be executed to succeed but I cannot fault the ambition and why not think big? It was a real pleasure to read that and see the thought, the drive and the passion going in, often behind the scenes, at the club.
Spot on Rob. Long may the scumbag pull the wool over Carols eyes!

Fantastic insight by Flickers. Positive and on message as always.

You can’t help but be excited by the way the club is and has been developing since he came to the club.

I’m just pleased I finally have a club to be proud of again win, loose or draw.

Brilliant interview. The best thing about it is that it is all an incremental, and thus manageable, process, with actual tangible evidence of what the first few steps of that plan have achieved. There is also a pragmatism to it, a recognition that this will take time, with owners and directors who are prepared to take that time, do things properly, in the right order of priority. That's what makes it all so credible and something that we as fans, as well as potential transfer targets, can buy into.

It's not inconceivable that we will go down next season. I don't expect us to, think we'll end up about 14th/15th, which would do me, but all it takes is bad luck with injuries, couple of best players snapped up by Champ teams in Jan, a few dodgy refereeing decisions, and there you go. But if it happened, I feel confident that it would just be a blip, a brief dip in the overall trajectory, as we'd be ideally placed to bounce back even stronger, after further improvements to the infrastructure of the club have been incorporated. 

I fully trust this pruhcess.

4 hours ago, valeparklife said:

We’ve had about 45 seasons in the Championship. It would be nothing new. 

In 2004 when Martin Allen pulled off the great escape from relegation to the basement, Brentford got about 4000 in the 12000 capacity Griffin Park when we played them. They are now holding their own in the premier league having just had Christian Eriksen turning out for them in a lovely new ground that is still smaller than ours. 

Luton have just been within a hair width of making the premier league. 

Look at Rotherham. 

Return to the championship is ambitious, yes. Unfathomable no. 

Huge amounts of groundwork to come to build a rock steady base to do it sustainably and financially safely. 

Archived