onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rob Page

Jacko51

Advert

20 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

Leads a national team to the world cup finals.

Smurf.  Add this to your list of F*** Ups !!

He was pretty boring, and managing a national team is pretty much like having a blank cheque book. Glad he went, not happy with the replacement and what followed though.

On 05/06/2022 at 21:00, philmpv said:

Let's not get carried away. He did a decent job with us. No more than that. Shameful the way he was treated by Smurthwaite though.

As for his achievements with the national side, has he really done better than any others would have done with this same group? So long as you're a. kind of Welsh and b. a former footballer you're in with a shout for the Welsh national team managers job.

Bit harsh I thinkI  He's quite possibly done lots better than any others would have done with the same group.... we will never know will we?  I, for one, am really pleased for him and congratulate him on his achievement.   

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

Didn't see any recognition of Rob in Giggs' statement. Classy as ever from Giggs.

If you read Giggs charges against him,I can immediately think of a similar individual.

Let's hope Joey Barton gets sent down on Thursday. Perhaps they can be cell mates

42 minutes ago, DazFred said:

If you read Giggs charges against him,I can immediately think of a similar individual.

Let's hope Joey Barton gets sent down on Thursday. Perhaps they can be cell mates

My turn..no it's my turn... I'm the daddy...no I'm the daddy...

42 minutes ago, MiddleportValiant said:

Rob did a steady job for us, and at one point looked a decent side. Some would argue he got shafted by Smurf. In my opinion at the time he needed some backing. Especially with the disaster of a season that came afterwards. 

Steady was the word.

Excellent at times, boring and tedious at others. He was okay. 

A lot of what's written is obviously hindsight now he's doing well and fair play to the bloke.

But I remember some absolutely dire negative away performances which all seemed to follow a similar pattern. The worst of which was Scunthorpe away where if I'm right we had a miniscule chance of the play offs and didn't have a shot. 

Good luck to him though I hope England put 5 up them .

Page was poorly treated by the owner who went off on some weird experiment. He was poorly treated in public being humiliated in frequent statements by the drunk. So who knows what went on in the background. 

I think Page frequently played cautious teams and it seemed a bit boring. But I can't separate him being inherently like that from him recognising the limitations of the team at League 1 level and deciding to keep PV safe. 4 down is a big trap door. Looking at it more positively a solid defence can get you near the playoffs etc. Even if its uninspiring. 

Overall, given the ownership circumstances of the club I think he did well and left able to be proud of himself. At Wales, he has followed a similar pattern. Fell into the manager job and got the most out of a limited team with one major star. So in that sense he has done better than his equivalent - Scotland. He may have just enough to get through the group stage at the World Cup. That's particularly because England have gone from second favourites to ripe for a disaster and have a manager in Southgate who is over thinking things and players who look exhausted. 

Archived