onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope

ladymedina

Advert

Tom Pope as much as any Vale player I've known deserves a testimonial for sure.

We've all said silly things we regret - we're all human.

He and his family have Vale in their blood - let's reward them for his service to the Vale....and that amazing night at Man City :)

cheers

There are plenty of people that are admired in their field who have questionable personal views and behaviours. John Lennon for example.

Off the field some of the thing pope comes out with have been ridiculous, the podcast made him look like a baby throwing his dummy out and lashing out at everyone cause he didn't get his own way at the end of the season.

However, no player in the last 20 years deserves a testimonial more than him. For Pope the player, I'll be going.

12 hours ago, Powerline said:

It’s not just about owning banks though. People who are antisemitic often blame Jewish people for their money related problems. You can’t really say it’s not derogatory when you’ve not lived through it yourself.

PL, The case in point was all about "Owning banks", widening the discussion just muddies the water. But I can read what the verdict was based on, think for myself and give my opinion on whether I consider it derogatory...... and at the end of the day who gives a damn what I think?

12 hours ago, Powerline said:

And it was in Birmingham where I now live, and they were from Manchester and London. One was a football fan (Spurs fan) one was not. Both heard about the incident through the news. Both asked me about it separately. Both took it to be antisemitic. I apologised to them both profusely and made it clear it did not represent my views or that of port vale. I was utterly ashamed to have it brought up to me. It was at that point I lost all respect for pope, especially after he refused to recognise how it is antisemitic. He made me ashamed to be a vale fan for the first time in my life.

You can only give your view, the fact that TP was tweeting under his own name and not the official Port Vale header means to me those are his views nothing to do with PVFC but some people will construe something to mean anything if they so desire.

I now live in the USA and encounter many, many more Jewish people than at anytime in the UK hence we've socalized with Jewish people more and my kids have been to countless Bar and Bat Mitzvas. Much of it was through soccer and I was often asked who my team was and no one had ever heard of Port Vale (they have now) so tweets never came up. Never once can I remember antisemitism or race entering any discussion even with all the stuff going on in the world.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

PL, The case in point was all about "Owning banks", widening the discussion just muddies the water. But I can read what the verdict was based on, think for myself and give my opinion on whether I consider it derogatory...... and at the end of the day who gives a damn what I think?

You can only give your view, the fact that TP was tweeting under his own name and not the official Port Vale header means to me those are his views nothing to do with PVFC but some people will construe something to mean anything if they so desire.

I now live in the USA and encounter many, many more Jewish people than at anytime in the UK hence we've socalized with Jewish people more and my kids have been to countless Bar and Bat Mitzvas. Much of it was through soccer and I was often asked who my team was and no one had ever heard of Port Vale (they have now) so tweets never came up. Never once can I remember antisemitism or race entering any discussion even with all the stuff going on in the world.

We’ll have to agree to disagree I guess. 

35 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Unless you can explain Fosse we'll only go around in circles. Time has nothing to do with it.

Part and parcel of European history over the last 1000 years or so, not proper to a football thread. Raise a thread in the political area and someone will explain it. I will do it for you if you wish.

Just spotted this on Facebook.

A few tickets still available from the Offley Arms on Friday 24th June for 'An Evening With Port Vale' starring Carl Dickinson,Tom Pope and Richard Duffy. 

Over 18's only.

Tickets £20,including a meal.

7 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Just spotted this on Facebook.

A few tickets still available from the Offley Arms on Friday 24th June for 'An Evening With Port Vale' starring Carl Dickinson,Tom Pope and Richard Duffy. 

Over 18's only.

Tickets £20,including a meal.

Pie and peas/gravy, Tony the food is. Are you going?

Based purely on Tom’s achievements, hard work and commitment for the football club, I would attend a testimonial to thank him for his service. 

His off-field comments/tweets I have no time for. There is no excuse for that sort of behaviour, no matter how hurt you are by the clubs decision. 

I fear Tom really has tainted his legacy with our current generation of fans who once idolised him, but there is absolutely no denying his contribution to the club on the pitch in his time here - and his name will live long in the Vale goalscoring record books.

A top goalscorer who gave us plenty of good times, but an absolute egg of a bloke off the pitch. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Tom could go some way toward healing the divisions that his post release comments have caused by committing that all proceeds from the testimonial go to a charitable cause or causes of his choice. This would put a few thousand on the attendance, including even myself. Like most players who've played the vast majority of their career in league football, he's been well paid (compared to most of us) and isn't short of a few bob, so I do think that this would be a really good gesture on his part. I personally wish that the concept of testimonials in this day and age are outdated (given they were originally to celebrate the player but also give the player a last payday at a time when players weren't particularly well paid) and all players should do this

Archived