onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope

ladymedina

No one is perfect, everyone has their faults, Tom's is that occasionally he posts daft, stupid things on twitter. But as far as I know he hasn't killed anyone, left them for dead, been done for drink driving, sped through a housing estate and turned his car over, assaulted anyone, got arrested, raped anyone, slept with someone else's wife, cheated on his wife or any of the other things many of the premiership heroes get found out for. So let's keep his twitter use in perspective. Obviously no one at the club takes his twitter use that seriously or he wouldn't have been a guest at the club.
It's just Tom been a bit daft.

Advert

Tom Pope was a great servant to PVFC and his goals did play a major part in getting us promoted and keeping Vale in the football league at least twice, also his overall play, leading the line, lay-off and defensive play and his physicality should never be underestimated, as good as any forward of his type I've seen play for Vale in over 60 years.

The stats show Tom Pope scored a league goal approx every 270mins for the Vale, some seasons better, one much worse (2011/12).

Just what was going on in season 2019/20 between Pope and JA is subject to conjecture but I for one couldn't understand why Pope didn't play more and if the season had continued he probably would have played more, reached double figures in league goals and Vale would likely have been in the play-offs.

His suspension for 6 games at the start of the 2020/21 season by the FA was IMHO ludicrous. When the FA has to bring in an academic expert on Antisemitism/Rothschild family and invoke the concept of "Synecdoche" to explain an "Aggrevated breach of law E(3)2 it is at best clutching at straws and at worst wrong.

From what I remember of the Ale & Vale Podcast Popey was generally very complimentary of PVFC, particularly of The Shanahans and generally his team mates. I don't do Twitter and have only seen one comment about Tom Conlon which only praises TC. He was uncomplimentary about DF/DC but the way he was ushered out of the club, if true, would have left a bad taste in most footballer's mouths given his service to Vale.

For Popey's last season (2020/21) at Vale we got to hear away commentary on iFollow from retired Pro's, many were very complementary about Tom Pope's play and importance to the Vale, I can remember using the word "Masterclass" to describe his hold up play/leading the line on match threads. The assault on Popey at Sunderland and the resulting shoulder injury finished his pro-career.

I can see Popey playing a coaching role at some time at Vale, imagine being the likes of Harratt or Edmondson and being able to call on Tom Pope for some coaching.

I Take it no ones going to the Tom Pope, Rich Duffy and Carl Dickinson night then in a few weeks at the Offley Arms (madeley). £20  ticket for food and a beer. Seems a bit steep but im going to go and see what its like.

Also on his testimonial game. He may have said a few silly things about the club in the interview but i will not let that get in the way of his service to this football club. I will be at the game 100%.

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Tom Pope was a great servant to PVFC and his goals did play a major part in getting us promoted and keeping Vale in the football league at least twice, also his overall play, leading the line, lay-off and defensive play and his physicality should never be underestimated, as good as any forward of his type I've seen play for Vale in over 60 years.

The stats show Tom Pope scored a league goal approx every 270mins for the Vale, some seasons better, one much worse (2011/12).

Just what was going on in season 2019/20 between Pope and JA is subject to conjecture but I for one couldn't understand why Pope didn't play more and if the season had continued he probably would have played more, reached double figures in league goals and Vale would likely have been in the play-offs.

His suspension for 6 games at the start of the 2020/21 season by the FA was IMHO ludicrous. When the FA has to bring in an academic expert on Antisemitism/Rothschild family and invoke the concept of "Synecdoche" to explain an "Aggrevated breach of law E(3)2 it is at best clutching at straws and at worst wrong.

From what I remember of the Ale & Vale Podcast Popey was generally very complimentary of PVFC, particularly of The Shanahans and generally his team mates. I don't do Twitter and have only seen one comment about Tom Conlon which only praises TC. He was uncomplimentary about DF/DC but the way he was ushered out of the club, if true, would have left a bad taste in most footballer's mouths given his service to Vale.

For Popey's last season (2020/21) at Vale we got to hear away commentary on iFollow from retired Pro's, many were very complementary about Tom Pope's play and importance to the Vale, I can remember using the word "Masterclass" to describe his hold up play/leading the line on match threads. The assault on Popey at Sunderland and the resulting shoulder injury finished his pro-career.

I can see Popey playing a coaching role at some time at Vale, imagine being the likes of Harratt or Edmondson and being able to call on Tom Pope for some coaching.

Sorry but you cannot defend his tweets. The Rothschild tweet was a disgrace, it’s a very well known antisemitic conspiracy theory. He’s either an anti semite or thick as pig <ovf censored>, you choose which.

1 hour ago, Powerline said:

Sorry but you cannot defend his tweets. The Rothschild tweet was a disgrace, it’s a very well known antisemitic conspiracy theory. He’s either an anti semite or thick as pig <ovf censored>, you choose which.

If it was a very well known antisemetic conspiracy theory why did the FA have to bring in an expert on Antisemitism/Rothschild family and invoke the concept of "Synecdoche" to explain an "Aggrevated breach of law E(3)2" to the FA Regulatory Commission. The vast majority of the public at large would not have a clue what the concept of a synecdoche is or was  including you or I ('til I looked it up).

Plz explain what Popey said can be considered to be a disgrace and antisemitic. 

I agree with what you imply that what TP said was massively factually inaccurate and ludicrous but to construe that the tweet would be seen as antisemitic by a majority of ordinary people requires a certain level of mental gymnastics only achievable by the wokest of the woke.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

If it was a very well known antisemetic conspiracy theory why did the FA have to bring in an expert on Antisemitism/Rothschild family and invoke the concept of "Synecdoche" to explain an "Aggrevated breach of law E(3)2" to the FA Regulatory Commission. The vast majority of the public at large would not have a clue what the concept of a synecdoche is or was  including you or I ('til I looked it up).

Plz explain what Popey said can be considered to be a disgrace and antisemitic. 

I agree with what you imply that what TP said was massively factually inaccurate and ludicrous but to construe that the tweet would be seen as antisemitic by a majority of ordinary people requires a certain level of mental gymnastics only achievable by the wokest of the woke.

A synecdoche in this context simply means that Rothschild conspiracies are used to refer to Jewish people in general. I was aware that Rothschild conspiracies were antisemitic, as I’m sure many other people are.

I would also add, it does not matter whether you or I, or ‘the majority of ordinary people’, construe it to be antisemitic or not. It does matter whether Jewish people do. Clearly the FA agree with that view, hence their appointment of an expert. It was found that it was antisemitic. 

Ushered out of the club I've just read. 

He was freed he wasn't ushered .

Whilst Amoo hadn't the service or legendary status of Pope he was also freed, culled, ushered .

I don't envisage Amoo being bitter and twisted for nigh on 18 months. 

Maybe he should of done a Mckirdy and do his talking on the pitch.

Where did Congleton finish again in The south Cheshire Boddington brewery division 3 ? 

16 hours ago, worldsendvalefan said:

No one is perfect, everyone has their faults, Tom's is that occasionally he posts daft, stupid things on twitter. But as far as I know he hasn't killed anyone, left them for dead, been done for drink driving, sped through a housing estate and turned his car over, assaulted anyone, got arrested, raped anyone, slept with someone else's wife, cheated on his wife or any of the other things many of the premiership heroes get found out for. So let's keep his twitter use in perspective. Obviously no one at the club takes his twitter use that seriously or he wouldn't have been a guest at the club.
It's just Tom been a bit 

I loved Pope, but every time he posted anything on twitter I just cringed. The Rothschild tweet the night after the City game, I just bowed and shook my head thinking oh Tom, what have you done.

Listening to his interview, there's the obvious resentment which I understand to an extent and the predictions he got completely wrong, but what struck me is just how much he thinks he knows best. Any manager trying to take Vale to the next level and beyond would have had a nightmare trying to get the whole group on board and build such a good bond with Pope around.

He even mentions how his Dad was wrong trying to make him faster. It just struck me that in an elite environment where marginal gains, fine lines are the difference between success and failure, Tom always seems to fear change. Not only that, completely resist it. Just came across as a bit of a baby that would sulk a lot.

Beyond that he clearly spends too much time being brainwashed by conspiracy sites chatting nonsense about 9/11.

Shame really because he could do no wrong for me for a long time. That Man City goal will always live long in the memory, as will the 12/13 season.

I haven’t read much of this but is it only me that thinks this is being blown out of all proportion?  Far, far bigger things going on at the club.  What about those new sprinklers for training pitch for example? Anyway why wallow in someone else’s negativity.  Life’s too short.

4 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I haven’t read much of this but is it only me that thinks this is being blown out of all proportion?  Far, far bigger things going on at the club.  What about those new sprinklers for training pitch for example? Anyway why wallow in someone else’s negativity.  Life’s too short.

here here, give it  rest!😒

12 hours ago, Powerline said:

A synecdoche in this context simply means that Rothschild conspiracies are used to refer to Jewish people in general. I was aware that Rothschild conspiracies were antisemitic, as I’m sure many other people are.

And don't you think that's a stretch it it's own right, one family are representative of 14.8million Jewish people on this earth, that is only something an academic grasping at straws would dream up or be aware of and agree with. The Jewish people I've met and befriended likely have very little in common with the Rothchilds.

I'm sure you are aware now you've looked it up

12 hours ago, Powerline said:

I would also add, it does not matter whether you or I, or ‘the majority of ordinary people’, construe it to be antisemitic or not. It does matter whether Jewish people do. Clearly the FA agree with that view, hence their appointment of an expert. It was found that it was antisemitic. 

What matters most in this instance was TP and PVFC, I cannot imagine many Jewish people would give two hoots about this case 'cause it's such a stretch unless they are Vale supporters. The yes men on the FA Commission wouldn't disagree with the academic as they could themselves then be accused of being antisemitic. The "Majority of ordinary people" was the yardstick for the yes or no verdict.

I must admit I cannot understand how people get sucked into Twitter apart from it being addictive. I wouldn't give Elon Musk 44 bucks for it.

7 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

And don't you think that's a stretch it it's own right, one family are representative of 14.8million Jewish people on this earth, that is only something an academic grasping at straws would dream up or be aware of and agree with. The Jewish people I've met and befriended likely have very little in common with the Rothchilds.

I'm sure you are aware now you've looked it up

What matters most in this instance was TP and PVFC, I cannot imagine many Jewish people would give two hoots about this case 'cause it's such a stretch unless they are Vale supporters. The yes men on the FA Commission wouldn't disagree with the academic as they could themselves then be accused of being antisemitic. The "Majority of ordinary people" was the yardstick for the yes or no verdict.

I must admit I cannot understand how people get sucked into Twitter apart from it being addictive. I wouldn't give Elon Musk 44 bucks for it.

That’s not the point though, of course they’ve got little in common with the Rothschilds. However it is a sad fact that over the course of history it has been used as a way of being derogatory to Jewish people. 

Also, I have two Jewish friends who both asked me about the Tom Pope incident. I was still at university at the time and they both did my course, and they knew I was a vale fan. I’ve never been so ashamed when they brought it up. And I can tell you they both took it as antisemitic.

Archived