onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reminiscing Loan Players (2022)

DazFred

15 hours ago, Five Generations Vale said:

As regards loan players making an outstanding contribution, what about Neville Southall? One of the greatest keepers in England at the time, just down on confidence after Ian Rush put a few past him, but superb for us and arguably the best goalie to have put on the Vale shirt albeit briefly. Imagine having such a goalkeeper next season.  My other favourites, showing my age, include Mark Lawrence and Kevin Young who I likened to Glenn Hoddle and Liam Brady of our level back in the day. Can’t remember what happened to them afterwards, maybe I just got excited in that other promotion season. Whoever we sign, I don’t want to transfer list any of the fantastic fans out there that make our club what it is. Keep posting folks, more interest than conversations with the missus while we are in Benidorm. In fact bumped into Mansfield fan in the pig and whistle, again gracious in defeat and praised the Vale. Some great fans amongst the smaller clubs like us.

I remember Southall when we played at Bury (Im ex-goalkeepers union) and he made a save where he dived the full length of the posts and stopped a shot that was bang on for the back of the net. 

He was utterly brilliant

Advert

13 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I think the photo was in the same article as a badly-out-of-focus selfie taken with Chris Birchall? Was Aaron Ramsdale wearing a Vale shirt, anyone?

Ah right, we’ll take them all apart from Birchy.

13 hours ago, TreacleValiant said:

Have seen plenty worse that Kevin Kent over the years down the Vale. 

Too true, but I meant in terms of established players. Everyone has a player they can't get their head around and he was mine🙂👍

I remember Southall when we played at Bury (Im ex-goalkeepers union) and he made a save where he dived the full length of the posts and stopped a shot that was bang on for the back of the net. 
He was utterly brilliant
Bury fan's were going mental that day as they sold him to Everton, then came Vale and had an absolute blinder that day.. Outstanding he was for us..

Holy 4/10 never ever convinced me and barely made a save of note. I might be overly harsh 

Cass 7.5/10 excellent young player who was instrumental in our good run. Work to do defensively but hope he's back. 

Politic 8/10 a game changer.  Not always effective when he rarely started but got you off seats and contributed plenty.

Cooper 4/10 unbelievable wizardry at Carlisle away and I thought ey up what have we here. Far too lightweight and offered little though possible off field issues ?

Edmonson 8/10 loved his passion and attitude. Willing to play anywhere he's asked. Can only get better. 

Harratt 9/10 top marks purely for coming good at the right time. Unplayable first 20 v Swindon.  Raw and enthusiastic and a great attitude. 

Possible I've forgotten somebody but a mixed bag in the main successful recruitment so we'll done to Flitcroft and Johnson 

We have had some fabulous loan players.  Only older Valiants could truly appreciate the impact Tony Sealy had.  We were down and out when he arrived for his first loan.  It was season 79/80, records show it was our worse ever position in the FL in history.  We had 4 managers that season. Our top scorer, Bernie Wright, decided that he did not want to play for us. 

Tony Sealy arrived and galvanised us.  It was not just his goals but his impact on the whole team and how he raised confidence.  He was one of John Mc Grath's first signings.  For the 7 home games before Tony arrived all the gates, except for the Boxing Day game, were below 3,000. Even the fans had given up on us.

Tony Sealy transformed the season, and that was the beginning of our renaissance, firstly under John McGrath and later under John Rudge.  On the pitch Tony was magnificent, he went back to Palace, and Terry Venables took him to QPR with him, and he was top scorer for Rangers, outscoring Clive Allen.  Tony was that good.

One player not mentioned, but who was a magnificent team player for us on loan was Peter Clarke, who is still playing at age 40.

What about terrible loan players? I don't mean like this endless stream of kids we brought in then never played, rather players that played and were useless.

Andy Clarke from Wimbledon springs to mind. Had scored a few in the Premier league before and went on to have a decent lower league career with Peterbrough but was absolutely dreadful for us.

Neil McKenzie still gives me nightmares.

Danny Webber was another who had a reasonably career but was awful on loan at Vale, David McGoldrick the same.

Special mention to pretty much every loanee Dean Glover brought in too.

And of course you couldn't have this discussion without mentioning Exodus Geoghagen.

9 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

What about terrible loan players? I don't mean like this endless stream of kids we brought in then never played, rather players that played and were useless.

Andy Clarke from Wimbledon springs to mind. Had scored a few in the Premier league before and went on to have a decent lower league career with Peterbrough but was absolutely dreadful for us.

Danny Webber was another who had a reasonably career but was awful on loan at Vale, David McGoldrick the same.

And of course you couldn't have this discussion without mentioning Exodus Geoghagen.

Kevin Steggles

And we got to Round 4 I think with him playing.

Jason Jarrett was more recent...awful.

Saddest ones? Flo Cuvelier and Scott Mean. Both prospects,both badly injured on debut

One of my worst memories as a vale fan is a game we played against Macc away. I think we won 2-0.

We had Kevin Gall, Scott Brown and Adnan Ahmed in the squad that day. Adnan scored. I remember thinking "I could really get a game over some of these".

I forgot about George Lloyd and Dennis Politic.

Not sure Lloyd wanted to play...he had a season ending injury,yet ended up playing for Cheltenham?

Dennis won us the games v Orient and Burton,rounded the keeper v Barrow and Liverpool U23,set up Harratts goal v Brentford.

A luxury player but provided a lot of memories in his short spell

Archived