• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Favourite Vale game

19 hours ago, valiant steve said:

Port Vale 3 Stoke City 1. FA Cup replay. We played some great football in damp conditions on a slightly muddy pitch! 😄

This is my favourite of all games. High school years and us Vale fans were out numbered at Blythe Bridge High. Going in school the next day was the best day I have probably had! I was in the Bycars for that game and remember it like yesterday when Foyle sealed it for 3-1. The mental I had for that goal would probably see me sectioned in this day and age.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Advert:

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Lee Hughes behaved more like a Vale legend last weekend than Pope ever did. Posed for photos with fans, shook hands and was happy to chat. He has his dodgy past and pre Vale had him down as a cowardly animal, but having now met him, what a great guy. 

It’s funny you should say that, we hadn’t really spoken or thought about him for a year or 2 but was chatting to another fan in the Wembley fanzone prior to the match where we both confessed we’d wrongfully judged the book by its cover before he came to the Vale. A top bloke and seeing him there last weekend celebrating like that really did make us smile 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Sunderland replay 1962, Grainger`s match won 3-1,  28k att. Cloughie CF for Sunderland.

in pouring rain  ken hancock leg injury, had an injection on the pitch. (unless i dreamt it!):drink:

Advert:

This is a great thread. So many amazing memories for so many different reasons.

I started going The Vale with my dad in the early 80s. I've been thinking about all the other games that have been incredible in the 40 years that I've been going. So many run it close, especially the Spurs game and the Everton games.

It's amazing how many are cup games, including the 3 1 home win over Stoke that I've put (and am keeping) at my number 1. 

It's great that we've now got owners who are steering the club in the right direction for potentially more amazing memories as Up The Football League We Go! The last two matches definitely make my top 10! 

Can't wait for next season! 

We Are Vale! 

6 hours ago, Platty's Tassels said:

This thread made me go back to it. We could of won 6-1

Or 6-2 puddle depending:kiss:

The things that dreams are made of

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think we beat Preston first game of the season around ‘91 or 2 can’t remember now if it was 3 or 4 -1.  Someone will correct me.  Of course we’d also previously played them in the playoffs and Beckford scored a hat trick in the home second leg before we went on to beat Bristol Rovers.

3-1 win at Preston on the opening game of the 88/89 season. New £20,000 signing Paul Atkinson scored 2 on his debut. He'd also scored the only goal in a 1-0 friendly win v Stoke at Vale Park a couple of weeks before. He was looking like being a great signing but then got a bad injury very soon after and barely played again for us.

(the play-off games v Preston, with the Beckford hat-trick, were at the end of that same season).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Impossible to choose just one favourite.  Some on the short list include the Autoglass final when the Sky commentator said we looked like AC Milan in the first half.  The 6-0 win at Fulham with Andy Jones scoring a hat trick was brilliant.  Any win over Stoke, especially Bogie's 12 second goal - the look on my Stokie mate's face when that went in was an absolute picture!  A game in the 70s against Grimsby when we were 3-0 down after an hour then scored four in ten minutes to win it.  That 4-0 win at Huddersfield that kept us up and relegated Stoke and Man City.  The Spurs and Everton cup ties, the first of which brought Vale to national attention for the first time in ages.  Having considered all of those, however, I have to pick last Saturday - a perfect day in every respect.  Thank you, Vale!

• Like 2

Advert:

3 hours ago, Aguar61 said:

The things that dreams are made of

We may dream about it now but it was in real at the time.  The numerous Lard fans I worked with on a big factory were pretty much all magnanimous in defeat, which was a first.  Moaned a bit about Regis but that was it.

Working with so many people the build up to the derbies was like nothing else I’ve experienced before or since.  It divided the place, even people who’d previously expressed no interest in football took sides.  A few of these, when I asked why not Vale, said they actually took their (Lard) side because they felt “sorry” for them.  True story.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

3-1 win at Preston on the opening game of the 88/89 season. New £20,000 signing Paul Atkinson scored 2 on his debut. He'd also scored the only goal in a 1-0 friendly win v Stoke at Vale Park a couple of weeks before. He was looking like being a great signing but then got a bad injury very soon after and barely played again for us.

(the play-off games v Preston, with the Beckford hat-trick, were at the end of that same season).

I was mascot at Preston that day, then was on the pitch again in play offs when a fire broke out.

I spoke to Paul Atkinson on Facebook recently, he aint a fan of John Rudge. He was calling him all sorts.

10 hours ago, Hoppers said:

Paul Atkinson - cant remember him at all - going googl-ise him now

Didn’t he score 2 at Preston on his debut then got injured and never played again?

• Like 1

Advert: