• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Favourite Vale game

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

That Norwich game was great but one high scoring game I always remember from a few years before then was away at Preston, where we won 5 - 2 with 5 different scorers.  They had their controversial plastic pitch, which was seen as giving them an unfair advantage.  John Beck was the manager at the time, with a reputation for implementing a very direct style of play and anyone who was there will remember they had tons of sand in the corners to hold the ball up.  My memory isn’t great but I think we’d won there a season or two before and scored 4.

I remember the game just wasnt there. I started to go to  a few games away in 93-94 a stand out for me was the 3-1 win at blackpool when they had to open the bank behind the goal due to the amount of vale fans which had been condemned. Good job they did as they still had fences down the side and the police were trying to cram vale fans in  could have been another Hillsborough. Alot of vale fans only saw 45 mins we only got in the ground at half time and they charged us full price.

Advert:

1 minute ago, JimmyPVFC said:

I remember the game just wasnt there. I started to go to  a few games away in 93-94 a stand out for me was the 3-1 win at blackpool when they had to open the bank behind the goal due to the amount of vale fans which had been condemned. Good job they did as they still had fences down the side and the police were trying to cram vale fans in  could have been another Hillsborough. Alot of vale fans only saw 45 mins we only got in the ground at half time and they charged us full price.

I think we beat Preston first game of the season around ‘91 or 2 can’t remember now if it was 3 or 4 -1.  Someone will correct me.  Of course we’d also previously played them in the playoffs and Beckford scored a hat trick in the home second leg before we went on to beat Bristol Rovers.

The Everton game has been mentioned alot, for me the away leg has got to be my favourite moment as a vale fan. Only a draw, but the circumstances, and the celebrations make it standout. Drawing away to a premier league team with minutes left, I had been counting down the minutes to full time when bang, Everton score with minutes left, all the Everton fans standing on the seats giving it the big one, we were right next to them, I'll never forget the abuse they were hurling at us, thinking they had grabbed a last gasp winner. I was absolutely gutted. Then up steps Ian Bogie, with his magical deflected equalizer, in the words of George Andrews, the roof came off!! I ended up 5 rows away from where I had started, absolute limbs...That moment, that celebration, will stay with me forever. For me it was better than beating them in the replay.

• Like 2

There are 3 games that really stand out for me the 2 main ones for everyone else are Everton away amd Huddersfield away. The jubilation of the fans for both games were unbelievable. At everton the despair after Fergusson's winner that wasn't due then on to Bogies deflected strike. The absolute annihilation of Huddersfield when it really mattered despite having a really bad migraine that was soon forgotten about.

The big one surprisingly enough for me was Wolves away in 99. We drew 2 each and were 2-1 up despite being battered for the whole game and they scored an equaliser towards the end of the game. I went to school in Penkridge and remember seing my friends from school whilst leaving and giving them stick, the wolves game meant more to me than anything to me at the time.

The wolves games mean more to me than most which makes me upset to say:

I have been attacked once as a child at Molineux because I have a Wolverhampton accent. Fortunately I was with my father who stood up for me against a fully grown man.

I then also got attacked by Port Vale fans when we lost 3-0 in our most recent game. I was stood with complete confidence whilst the stewards proceeded to kick me out rather than the group of scumbags who attacked me for confronting them for throwing coins up at the wolves fans in the tier above.

I have also been attacked or made to feel uncomfortable on numerous away trips for not having a SOT accent including Man City away.

Vale vs Mansfield 3-0 'cause it was the POF and at Wembley.

Vale vs Spurs 2-1 FA Cup, Ray Walker's goal and we won.

Cheltenham vs Port Vale 2-3, Cheltenham were a good team, we played well and Popey's hatrick was brilliant.

So many other great games.

Advert:

Although, it was a match we lost, the 1 - 0 FA Cup defeat to West Ham in the early seventies at Vale Park. Although we lost the performance by Vale was incredible. I have never witnessed a physical battle on the pitch like it. The atmosphere in the Bycars that day was something else, what was going on was unreal.
After that I would have to go for the FA Cup win over Spurs and the Wembley win over Mansfield. I have to say that for the first half hour that was amongst the best football I have seen Vale play.

Difficult one to answer as depending on how you look at it you could name any number of games.

In terms of pure performance until last Saturday I always felt us beating Everton at VP was the best have ever seen us play. The only shock that night was we didn’t stick five past them. I actually think in terms of sheer dominance added to the high stakes pressure and at Wembley last Saturday possibly goes past that just in my opinion.

Beating Stoke 3-1 was amazing not least as it wasn’t that long after Stein “won” a penalty to win the league game at their old dump.

Swindon in the playoff second leg just for the drama and tension.

2-1 v Stockport in the Autoglass too. First trophy had seen us win.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Saturday is definitely in my top 5.

Stoke in the 3-1 home win, FA cup in the mud

Spurs 2-1 victory, it’s what started my love for the Vale

3-1 win at Brighton, only match I’ve seen 5 pitch invasions

3-2 win at Blackpool, despite not going up

3-2 win at Derby, ended up in the over spill section with so many locked out of the ground.

3 seems the magic number.

I’ve got to agree with these but also have to add Everton at home 

Until the Mansfield game I most enjoyed the LDV vans final against Brentford in Cardiff. Vale went behind after 3 minutes but totally dominated the game playing some great football on a sodden pitch. It looked like we were never going to score but 2 late goals got the reward that the performance deserved. 

Advert:

My first ever big game that I can remember at Vale Park was the FA cup loss to Liverpool where I think Owen scored a hat trick. This will forever hold a special place in my heart, because although we lost to an impressive Liverpool side, it was the first time I’d felt the buzz and anticipation of a big match day. I think I was only 8 at the time so it was one of my first proper memories of Vale Park. 

The win against Brentford at the Millennium also has to be up there. Again, I was still quite young and had never visit such a massive stadium before. The win capped off a great experience for me that day. 

But waiting my entire life to cheer on the Vale at Wembley has to take the top spot. That tingling feeling when they walked out onto the big stage last weekend was just amazing. The day was perfect and such a complete performance in the most important game makes me think it’ll take some beating. Seeing Chrissy Birchall at half time surrounded by Valiants chanting ‘there’s only one Chrissy Birchall’ whilst he turned beetroot red was brilliant. Scoring our second, looking up to the tier behind us and seeing Lee Hughes celebrating towards all of us below him was brilliant. What a day. 

4106B2E7-A7CA-4CF9-832B-A6D2958265C9.jpeg

• Like 1

In terms of games I attended:

1)Mansfield at Wembley
2) Swindon at home in the semis
3) Huddersfield 3-4 vale. The most remarkable comeback I've seen at a vale game.
4) Vale 7-1 Burton

Obviously all the ones mentioned so far were memorable but may I add a couple more that stick in my mind.

A 1-0 win away at Man City on a Boxing Day. Andy Porter totally dominated the usually brilliant Kinkladze.

And the day Fergie played his kids that no-one had heard of in the League Cup. Everyone moaned as they had come to see the established stars but we got to see David Beckham, Gary Neville, Nicky Butt, Keith Gillespie and above all, Paul Scholes, before anyone had heard of them.

• Like 2

Mine goes…

1. swindon 2nd leg play off at home. Because it had everything. Getting the goal to make it 2-2 on aggregate then at penalties we missed two and thought we were going lose. Then go on to win was just fairytale. Also the home crowd in all three stand had VP rocking. 

2. Mansfield playoff final at Wembley of the south😉 what a buzz for all the vale fans 1st time at new Wembley and we smashed it. And the emotions from the players/staff, DC,CS and the fans was unforgettable👍

3. Huddersfield away in the cup 08/09 season. For me it will always stick in my head as a massive comebacks. 3-1 and you f@@ked it up😂 what an away day 

• Like 2

1) Swindon in the Semis - the atmosphere under the floodlights with that sky as a backdrop was something else, coming back from being behind on aggregate and on penalties, McKirdy missing, the Clarke passion, the relief after the blip with the automatics, the performance of the lads. It had everything.

2)Mansfield at Wembley - unreal day, went so well it felt like a dream. Still buzzing now. It was written in the stars for us and Clarkey. A very emotional day.

3)Everton 2-2 away, what a finish to the match after a brilliant performance again it was one of those matches where it just felt like it was in the stars for us. What a team that was.

4)Everton 2-1 at home. Knocking the cup holder out with in my view out best ever 11. Super Jon McCarthy. Enough said.

5)Sunderland 3-1 at home. The complete performance with a huge away following and a Naylor wondergoal.

6)Autoglass final 2-1 vs Stockport county. My first trip to Wembley and a brilliant day out. Bernie Slaven was my hero at the time. Was nice to beat Stoke on the way to the final too.

7)Same season - Vale 3-1 vs Stoke. What hasn’t already been said about that match. Another amazing atmosphere (only bettered by the Swindon game for me) OOH Andy Porter.

8)2-1 vs Brentford at the Millennium. Another great day out and one of our better sides. MBW and SB were very good players. 

I’ve missed loads of others out too. There have been some ace matches this season - the fact that we have been in and around the promotion places makes it so much better. Some of my favourites: Salford away, Barrow and Hartlepool away, Leyton Orient at home. I even enjoyed Oldham away - we played great and should never have lost but the atmosphere was brilliant.

Advert:

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

Obviously all the ones mentioned so far were memorable but may I add a couple more that stick in my mind.

A 1-0 win away at Man City on a Boxing Day. Andy Porter totally dominated the usually brilliant Kinkladze.

And the day Fergie played his kids that no-one had heard of in the League Cup. Everyone moaned as they had come to see the established stars but we got to see David Beckham, Gary Neville, Nicky Butt, Keith Gillespie and above all, Paul Scholes, before anyone had heard of them.

I remember that game mostly as one of the coldest I’ve ever been at any football match.  Bloody freezing.  We were sinking miniatures at halftime to numb the cold.

Edited by Guitar Ray

Winning one nil at Wolves in about 1995.

Guppy wasting time at the end with a bit of fun by the corner flag.

However, this last few months has provided the biggest concentration of great Vale days that I can remember.

2 hours ago, Super Sagi Burton said:

My first ever big game that I can remember at Vale Park was the FA cup loss to Liverpool where I think Owen scored a hat trick. This will forever hold a special place in my heart, because although we lost to an impressive Liverpool side, it was the first time I’d felt the buzz and anticipation of a big match day. I think I was only 8 at the time so it was one of my first proper memories of Vale Park. 

The win against Brentford at the Millennium also has to be up there. Again, I was still quite young and had never visit such a massive stadium before. The win capped off a great experience for me that day. 

But waiting my entire life to cheer on the Vale at Wembley has to take the top spot. That tingling feeling when they walked out onto the big stage last weekend was just amazing. The day was perfect and such a complete performance in the most important game makes me think it’ll take some beating. Seeing Chrissy Birchall at half time surrounded by Valiants chanting ‘there’s only one Chrissy Birchall’ whilst he turned beetroot red was brilliant. Scoring our second, looking up to the tier behind us and seeing Lee Hughes celebrating towards all of us below him was brilliant. What a day. 

4106B2E7-A7CA-4CF9-832B-A6D2958265C9.jpeg

Lee Hughes behaved more like a Vale legend last weekend than Pope ever did. Posed for photos with fans, shook hands and was happy to chat. He has his dodgy past and pre Vale had him down as a cowardly animal, but having now met him, what a great guy.