• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Favourite Vale game

Mansfield last week is my favourite, what a day.

Swindon to see the atmosphere how it was and the drama

Burton in the 7-1 was an incredible night often forgotten that it wasn’t just a mid/cannon fodder side we absolutely took apart promotion rivals!

LDV Final

Spurs Away in 06/07ish

Advert:

Burton in the 7-1 was an incredible night often forgotten that it wasn’t just a mid/cannon fodder side we absolutely took apart promotion rivals!

LDV Final

Spurs Away in 06/07ish

9 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

LDV Final

Spurs Away in 06/07ish

Go with your first two then add the 3-2 Orient win to get the perfect hat trick for one season...each one surpassed the other, resulting in the consummate performance at Wembley. Season highs, simply fantastic

• Like 1

Difficult difficult lemon difficult. 

Last week, because of the whole experience and how perfectly everything went, could well be the best ever.

It's definitely up there in the top 10 for me, along with Spurs (first big game I remember); Bristol Rovers PO final; 1-1 at Stoke (like others, feel it marked a turning point, when they suddenly realised they were no longer the best team in the city); 2-2 at Anfield; Stockport in the Autoglass (watching Vale win at Wembley as an 11yo, heaven); rain, trains & pain for Stoke in the cup; 2-2 v Swindon at home (random one, but amazing football from both teams, Hoddle doing his best Lothar Matthaeus impression from sweeper-manager); Everton win (we played like a PL team for about 3 months of that season); Arsenal taken to pens (Bergkamp still the best player I've seen live).

Thinking back, we haven't done too badly for big moments, in amongst a lot of dross, obviously!

Advert:

47 minutes ago, Clayts said:

Difficult difficult lemon difficult. 

Last week, because of the whole experience and how perfectly everything went, could well be the best ever.

It's definitely up there in the top 10 for me, along with Spurs (first big game I remember); Bristol Rovers PO final; 1-1 at Stoke (like others, feel it marked a turning point, when they suddenly realised they were no longer the best team in the city); 2-2 at Anfield; Stockport in the Autoglass (watching Vale win at Wembley as an 11yo, heaven); rain, trains & pain for Stoke in the cup; 2-2 v Swindon at home (random one, but amazing football from both teams, Hoddle doing his best Lothar Matthaeus impression from sweeper-manager); Everton win (we played like a PL team for about 3 months of that season); Arsenal taken to pens (Bergkamp still the best player I've seen live).

Thinking back, we haven't done too badly for big moments, in amongst a lot of dross, obviously!

Forgot the draw at Liverpool. Fans sang Johnny Rudges black and white army all the way through. 

• Like 1

Villa in front of 49,000...Liverpool another massive crowd, Spurs and Everton !!...Them were the day's, nowadays 12,000 is massive lol really makes me laugh !!

• Like 1

Advert:

Hard to pick a favourite game from this list:

Port Vale v Bristol Rovers 1989 playoff final second leg.

Sjoke v Port Vale, 1989

Port Vale v Sjoke, autoglass, Vanders winner.

Port Vale v Sjoke, 3-1, standing level with Regis shot that stuck in the mud in the Lorne street Hamil

Port Vale v Stockport, Old Wembley.

Brighton v Port Vale, Goldstone ground, on the pitch after the game celebrating promotion. 

Port Vale v Southampton, FA Cup

Port Vale v Everton, FA Cup

Sjoke v Port Vale at the Britannia, Cummings Winner. 

Port Vale v Brentford LDV trophy win.

Port Vale v Burton, 7-1, found out my lady was pregnant after the match with my eldest. 

Port Vale v Swindon, Mckirdy Miss.

Port Vale v Mansfield, New Wembley. 

There are other games versus  Sjoke and Crwho that we won that I haven’t listed. 

Games to forget 

Missed the Spurs FA cup win as I was off school sick that week and my Mum wouldn’t let me go.

Port Vale v Genoa, old Wembley 

Blackpool v port vale

Port Vale v Arsenal, Tanks penalty. 

Swindon was the dramatic game I have witnessed.

Everton away was brilliant, at home I really fancied us so not as much as a shock as......

Beating Tottenham. Definately my favourite. To beat that team with ten men ans Steggles was unreal.

So many favourite games over the years in no particular order .
Arsenal (h)1-1 FA Cup lost on pens
Everton H 2-1 the performance was so totally brilliant .
Brentford 2-1 (ldv final ) superb performance
Swindon 1-0 won on pens atmosphere was out of this world if the Vale supporters can reproduce that over 23 home games we could end up in championship sooner than you think .
Norwich(H)) 6-1 awesome display .
Sunderland 3-1 Tony Naylor 2 great goals )
So many more but they stick out and I was at all them games .
UTV

• Like 1

Vale 4 v 4 Aston Villa (0-2 and 2-4 down) **

Vale 0 v 0 Sheff Utd best 0 - 0 I've ever watched...end to end **

Vale 1 v 1 Arsenal Cup (lost on penalties) superb game - totally matched a top top-tier team **

Vale 1 v 0 Swinedon 2nd leg playoffs - incredible performance and nail-biting penalties

Vale 3 v 0 Mansfield playoff Final - performance of the year? Certainly the best atmosphere!

Anytime we've ever beaten Sjoke **

There are many more than these, but the play off Final was an awesome atmosphere!

** Can't be arsed looking up the dates of these - some way back in History!

Of the games I have seen in the flesh. Nil nil draw at arsenal played them off the park, I sat in the north bank as couldn't get tickets in the vale end. Ian bogie played a blinder man of the match showed what a player he should have been absolute quality, bergkamp never got a kick. After the game arsenal fans were calling for Wenger's head within 4 months they had won the league and cup double and a few seasons later would be called the invicibles. After that would be the 2-2 draw at everton again Bogie immense what a strike right at the end. Didnt go to the home game so carnt include that. Probably the best team performance I have seen from a Port Vale in a league game bearing in mind we were in the championship playing Norwich who were near the top would be the 6-1 win in 1996 we totally and utterly took them and darren eadie apart that day, even stuart Talbot was scoring for fun.

Advert:

I’ve only been going since early 2000’s and I can’t really remember much of that.

For me, the play off home leg vs Swindon is the most intense game I’ve watched. Emotions were all over the show. The sense of relief and sheer happiness when their penalty went over was unbelievable. 

As for the play off final against Mansfield, it was more about enjoying the day and the occasion. We’d got to Wembley, had a great day and I took the view of what will be will be.

The last two games of this season have proved to me why I support this club and how proud I am to be Vale.

15 minutes ago, JimmyPVFC said:

Of the games I have seen in the flesh. Nil nil draw at arsenal played them off the park, I sat in the north bank as couldn't get tickets in the vale end. Ian bogie played a blinder man of the match showed what a player he should have been absolute quality, bergkamp never got a kick. After the game arsenal fans were calling for Wenger's head within 4 months they had won the league and cup double and a few seasons later would be called the invicibles. After that would be the 2-2 draw at everton again Bogie immense what a strike right at the end. Didnt go to the home game so carnt include that. Probably the best team performance I have seen from a Port Vale in a league game bearing in mind we were in the championship playing Norwich who were near the top would be the 6-1 win in 1996 we totally and utterly took them and darren eadie apart that day, even stuart Talbot was scoring for fun.

That Norwich game was great but one high scoring game I always remember from a few years before then was away at Preston, where we won 5 - 2 with 5 different scorers.  They had their controversial plastic pitch, which was seen as giving them an unfair advantage.  John Beck was the manager at the time, with a reputation for implementing a very direct style of play and anyone who was there will remember they had tons of sand in the corners to hold the ball up.  My memory isn’t great but I think we’d won there a season or two before and scored 4.

3 hours ago, Davo666 said:

Villa in front of 49,000...Liverpool another massive crowd, Spurs and Everton !!...Them were the day's, nowadays 12,000 is massive lol really makes me laugh !! emoji23.png

Fair comment but fans that weren’t around then can only judge on what they know.  For me nothing comes close to the big FA cup games we had and the derbies for atmosphere, but there’s no denying the sheer drama of that 2nd leg tie and the way it panned out was quite something.