onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Favourite Vale game

Vale Ball

Until the Mansfield game I most enjoyed the LDV vans final against Brentford in Cardiff. Vale went behind after 3 minutes but totally dominated the game playing some great football on a sodden pitch. It looked like we were never going to score but 2 late goals got the reward that the performance deserved. 

Advert

My first ever big game that I can remember at Vale Park was the FA cup loss to Liverpool where I think Owen scored a hat trick. This will forever hold a special place in my heart, because although we lost to an impressive Liverpool side, it was the first time I’d felt the buzz and anticipation of a big match day. I think I was only 8 at the time so it was one of my first proper memories of Vale Park. 

The win against Brentford at the Millennium also has to be up there. Again, I was still quite young and had never visit such a massive stadium before. The win capped off a great experience for me that day. 

But waiting my entire life to cheer on the Vale at Wembley has to take the top spot. That tingling feeling when they walked out onto the big stage last weekend was just amazing. The day was perfect and such a complete performance in the most important game makes me think it’ll take some beating. Seeing Chrissy Birchall at half time surrounded by Valiants chanting ‘there’s only one Chrissy Birchall’ whilst he turned beetroot red was brilliant. Scoring our second, looking up to the tier behind us and seeing Lee Hughes celebrating towards all of us below him was brilliant. What a day. 

4106B2E7-A7CA-4CF9-832B-A6D2958265C9.jpeg

Obviously all the ones mentioned so far were memorable but may I add a couple more that stick in my mind.

A 1-0 win away at Man City on a Boxing Day. Andy Porter totally dominated the usually brilliant Kinkladze.

And the day Fergie played his kids that no-one had heard of in the League Cup. Everyone moaned as they had come to see the established stars but we got to see David Beckham, Gary Neville, Nicky Butt, Keith Gillespie and above all, Paul Scholes, before anyone had heard of them.

Mine goes…

1. swindon 2nd leg play off at home. Because it had everything. Getting the goal to make it 2-2 on aggregate then at penalties we missed two and thought we were going lose. Then go on to win was just fairytale. Also the home crowd in all three stand had VP rocking. 

2. Mansfield playoff final at Wembley of the south😉 what a buzz for all the vale fans 1st time at new Wembley and we smashed it. And the emotions from the players/staff, DC,CS and the fans was unforgettable👍

3. Huddersfield away in the cup 08/09 season. For me it will always stick in my head as a massive comebacks. 3-1 and you f@@ked it up😂 what an away day 

1) Swindon in the Semis - the atmosphere under the floodlights with that sky as a backdrop was something else, coming back from being behind on aggregate and on penalties, McKirdy missing, the Clarke passion, the relief after the blip with the automatics, the performance of the lads. It had everything.

2)Mansfield at Wembley - unreal day, went so well it felt like a dream. Still buzzing now. It was written in the stars for us and Clarkey. A very emotional day.

3)Everton 2-2 away, what a finish to the match after a brilliant performance again it was one of those matches where it just felt like it was in the stars for us. What a team that was.

4)Everton 2-1 at home. Knocking the cup holder out with in my view out best ever 11. Super Jon McCarthy. Enough said.

5)Sunderland 3-1 at home. The complete performance with a huge away following and a Naylor wondergoal.

6)Autoglass final 2-1 vs Stockport county. My first trip to Wembley and a brilliant day out. Bernie Slaven was my hero at the time. Was nice to beat Stoke on the way to the final too.

7)Same season - Vale 3-1 vs Stoke. What hasn’t already been said about that match. Another amazing atmosphere (only bettered by the Swindon game for me) OOH Andy Porter.

8)2-1 vs Brentford at the Millennium. Another great day out and one of our better sides. MBW and SB were very good players. 

I’ve missed loads of others out too. There have been some ace matches this season - the fact that we have been in and around the promotion places makes it so much better. Some of my favourites: Salford away, Barrow and Hartlepool away, Leyton Orient at home. I even enjoyed Oldham away - we played great and should never have lost but the atmosphere was brilliant.

12 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

Obviously all the ones mentioned so far were memorable but may I add a couple more that stick in my mind.

A 1-0 win away at Man City on a Boxing Day. Andy Porter totally dominated the usually brilliant Kinkladze.

And the day Fergie played his kids that no-one had heard of in the League Cup. Everyone moaned as they had come to see the established stars but we got to see David Beckham, Gary Neville, Nicky Butt, Keith Gillespie and above all, Paul Scholes, before anyone had heard of them.

I remember that game mostly as one of the coldest I’ve ever been at any football match.  Bloody freezing.  We were sinking miniatures at halftime to numb the cold.

Winning one nil at Wolves in about 1995.

Guppy wasting time at the end with a bit of fun by the corner flag.

However, this last few months has provided the biggest concentration of great Vale days that I can remember.

2 hours ago, Super Sagi Burton said:

My first ever big game that I can remember at Vale Park was the FA cup loss to Liverpool where I think Owen scored a hat trick. This will forever hold a special place in my heart, because although we lost to an impressive Liverpool side, it was the first time I’d felt the buzz and anticipation of a big match day. I think I was only 8 at the time so it was one of my first proper memories of Vale Park. 

The win against Brentford at the Millennium also has to be up there. Again, I was still quite young and had never visit such a massive stadium before. The win capped off a great experience for me that day. 

But waiting my entire life to cheer on the Vale at Wembley has to take the top spot. That tingling feeling when they walked out onto the big stage last weekend was just amazing. The day was perfect and such a complete performance in the most important game makes me think it’ll take some beating. Seeing Chrissy Birchall at half time surrounded by Valiants chanting ‘there’s only one Chrissy Birchall’ whilst he turned beetroot red was brilliant. Scoring our second, looking up to the tier behind us and seeing Lee Hughes celebrating towards all of us below him was brilliant. What a day. 

4106B2E7-A7CA-4CF9-832B-A6D2958265C9.jpeg

Lee Hughes behaved more like a Vale legend last weekend than Pope ever did. Posed for photos with fans, shook hands and was happy to chat. He has his dodgy past and pre Vale had him down as a cowardly animal, but having now met him, what a great guy. 

19 hours ago, valiant steve said:

Port Vale 3 Stoke City 1. FA Cup replay. We played some great football in damp conditions on a slightly muddy pitch! 😄

This is my favourite of all games. High school years and us Vale fans were out numbered at Blythe Bridge High. Going in school the next day was the best day I have probably had! I was in the Bycars for that game and remember it like yesterday when Foyle sealed it for 3-1. The mental I had for that goal would probably see me sectioned in this day and age.

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Lee Hughes behaved more like a Vale legend last weekend than Pope ever did. Posed for photos with fans, shook hands and was happy to chat. He has his dodgy past and pre Vale had him down as a cowardly animal, but having now met him, what a great guy. 

It’s funny you should say that, we hadn’t really spoken or thought about him for a year or 2 but was chatting to another fan in the Wembley fanzone prior to the match where we both confessed we’d wrongfully judged the book by its cover before he came to the Vale. A top bloke and seeing him there last weekend celebrating like that really did make us smile 

22 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Sunderland replay 1962, Grainger`s match won 3-1,  28k att. Cloughie CF for Sunderland.

in pouring rain  ken hancock leg injury, had an injection on the pitch. (unless i dreamt it!):drink:

This is a great thread. So many amazing memories for so many different reasons.

I started going The Vale with my dad in the early 80s. I've been thinking about all the other games that have been incredible in the 40 years that I've been going. So many run it close, especially the Spurs game and the Everton games.

It's amazing how many are cup games, including the 3 1 home win over Stoke that I've put (and am keeping) at my number 1. 

It's great that we've now got owners who are steering the club in the right direction for potentially more amazing memories as Up The Football League We Go! The last two matches definitely make my top 10! 

Can't wait for next season! 

We Are Vale! 

Archived