onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Favourite Vale game

Vale Ball

So many favourite games over the years in no particular order .
Arsenal (h)1-1 FA Cup lost on pens
Everton H 2-1 the performance was so totally brilliant .
Brentford 2-1 (ldv final ) superb performance
Swindon 1-0 won on pens atmosphere was out of this world if the Vale supporters can reproduce that over 23 home games we could end up in championship sooner than you think .
Norwich(H)) 6-1 awesome display .
Sunderland 3-1 Tony Naylor 2 great goals )
So many more but they stick out and I was at all them games .
UTV

Advert

Vale 4 v 4 Aston Villa (0-2 and 2-4 down) **

Vale 0 v 0 Sheff Utd best 0 - 0 I've ever watched...end to end **

Vale 1 v 1 Arsenal Cup (lost on penalties) superb game - totally matched a top top-tier team **

Vale 1 v 0 Swinedon 2nd leg playoffs - incredible performance and nail-biting penalties

Vale 3 v 0 Mansfield playoff Final - performance of the year? Certainly the best atmosphere!

Anytime we've ever beaten Sjoke **

There are many more than these, but the play off Final was an awesome atmosphere!

** Can't be arsed looking up the dates of these - some way back in History!

Of the games I have seen in the flesh. Nil nil draw at arsenal played them off the park, I sat in the north bank as couldn't get tickets in the vale end. Ian bogie played a blinder man of the match showed what a player he should have been absolute quality, bergkamp never got a kick. After the game arsenal fans were calling for Wenger's head within 4 months they had won the league and cup double and a few seasons later would be called the invicibles. After that would be the 2-2 draw at everton again Bogie immense what a strike right at the end. Didnt go to the home game so carnt include that. Probably the best team performance I have seen from a Port Vale in a league game bearing in mind we were in the championship playing Norwich who were near the top would be the 6-1 win in 1996 we totally and utterly took them and darren eadie apart that day, even stuart Talbot was scoring for fun.

I’ve only been going since early 2000’s and I can’t really remember much of that.

For me, the play off home leg vs Swindon is the most intense game I’ve watched. Emotions were all over the show. The sense of relief and sheer happiness when their penalty went over was unbelievable. 

As for the play off final against Mansfield, it was more about enjoying the day and the occasion. We’d got to Wembley, had a great day and I took the view of what will be will be.

The last two games of this season have proved to me why I support this club and how proud I am to be Vale.

15 minutes ago, JimmyPVFC said:

Of the games I have seen in the flesh. Nil nil draw at arsenal played them off the park, I sat in the north bank as couldn't get tickets in the vale end. Ian bogie played a blinder man of the match showed what a player he should have been absolute quality, bergkamp never got a kick. After the game arsenal fans were calling for Wenger's head within 4 months they had won the league and cup double and a few seasons later would be called the invicibles. After that would be the 2-2 draw at everton again Bogie immense what a strike right at the end. Didnt go to the home game so carnt include that. Probably the best team performance I have seen from a Port Vale in a league game bearing in mind we were in the championship playing Norwich who were near the top would be the 6-1 win in 1996 we totally and utterly took them and darren eadie apart that day, even stuart Talbot was scoring for fun.

That Norwich game was great but one high scoring game I always remember from a few years before then was away at Preston, where we won 5 - 2 with 5 different scorers.  They had their controversial plastic pitch, which was seen as giving them an unfair advantage.  John Beck was the manager at the time, with a reputation for implementing a very direct style of play and anyone who was there will remember they had tons of sand in the corners to hold the ball up.  My memory isn’t great but I think we’d won there a season or two before and scored 4.

3 hours ago, Davo666 said:

Villa in front of 49,000...Liverpool another massive crowd, Spurs and Everton !!...Them were the day's, nowadays 12,000 is massive lol really makes me laugh !! emoji23.png

Fair comment but fans that weren’t around then can only judge on what they know.  For me nothing comes close to the big FA cup games we had and the derbies for atmosphere, but there’s no denying the sheer drama of that 2nd leg tie and the way it panned out was quite something.

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

That Norwich game was great but one high scoring game I always remember from a few years before then was away at Preston, where we won 5 - 2 with 5 different scorers.  They had their controversial plastic pitch, which was seen as giving them an unfair advantage.  John Beck was the manager at the time, with a reputation for implementing a very direct style of play and anyone who was there will remember they had tons of sand in the corners to hold the ball up.  My memory isn’t great but I think we’d won there a season or two before and scored 4.

I remember the game just wasnt there. I started to go to  a few games away in 93-94 a stand out for me was the 3-1 win at blackpool when they had to open the bank behind the goal due to the amount of vale fans which had been condemned. Good job they did as they still had fences down the side and the police were trying to cram vale fans in  could have been another Hillsborough. Alot of vale fans only saw 45 mins we only got in the ground at half time and they charged us full price.

1 minute ago, JimmyPVFC said:

I remember the game just wasnt there. I started to go to  a few games away in 93-94 a stand out for me was the 3-1 win at blackpool when they had to open the bank behind the goal due to the amount of vale fans which had been condemned. Good job they did as they still had fences down the side and the police were trying to cram vale fans in  could have been another Hillsborough. Alot of vale fans only saw 45 mins we only got in the ground at half time and they charged us full price.

I think we beat Preston first game of the season around ‘91 or 2 can’t remember now if it was 3 or 4 -1.  Someone will correct me.  Of course we’d also previously played them in the playoffs and Beckford scored a hat trick in the home second leg before we went on to beat Bristol Rovers.

The Everton game has been mentioned alot, for me the away leg has got to be my favourite moment as a vale fan. Only a draw, but the circumstances, and the celebrations make it standout. Drawing away to a premier league team with minutes left, I had been counting down the minutes to full time when bang, Everton score with minutes left, all the Everton fans standing on the seats giving it the big one, we were right next to them, I'll never forget the abuse they were hurling at us, thinking they had grabbed a last gasp winner. I was absolutely gutted. Then up steps Ian Bogie, with his magical deflected equalizer, in the words of George Andrews, the roof came off!! I ended up 5 rows away from where I had started, absolute limbs...That moment, that celebration, will stay with me forever. For me it was better than beating them in the replay.

There are 3 games that really stand out for me the 2 main ones for everyone else are Everton away amd Huddersfield away. The jubilation of the fans for both games were unbelievable. At everton the despair after Fergusson's winner that wasn't due then on to Bogies deflected strike. The absolute annihilation of Huddersfield when it really mattered despite having a really bad migraine that was soon forgotten about.

The big one surprisingly enough for me was Wolves away in 99. We drew 2 each and were 2-1 up despite being battered for the whole game and they scored an equaliser towards the end of the game. I went to school in Penkridge and remember seing my friends from school whilst leaving and giving them stick, the wolves game meant more to me than anything to me at the time.

The wolves games mean more to me than most which makes me upset to say:

I have been attacked once as a child at Molineux because I have a Wolverhampton accent. Fortunately I was with my father who stood up for me against a fully grown man.

I then also got attacked by Port Vale fans when we lost 3-0 in our most recent game. I was stood with complete confidence whilst the stewards proceeded to kick me out rather than the group of scumbags who attacked me for confronting them for throwing coins up at the wolves fans in the tier above.

I have also been attacked or made to feel uncomfortable on numerous away trips for not having a SOT accent including Man City away.

Vale vs Mansfield 3-0 'cause it was the POF and at Wembley.

Vale vs Spurs 2-1 FA Cup, Ray Walker's goal and we won.

Cheltenham vs Port Vale 2-3, Cheltenham were a good team, we played well and Popey's hatrick was brilliant.

So many other great games.

Although, it was a match we lost, the 1 - 0 FA Cup defeat to West Ham in the early seventies at Vale Park. Although we lost the performance by Vale was incredible. I have never witnessed a physical battle on the pitch like it. The atmosphere in the Bycars that day was something else, what was going on was unreal.
After that I would have to go for the FA Cup win over Spurs and the Wembley win over Mansfield. I have to say that for the first half hour that was amongst the best football I have seen Vale play.

Difficult one to answer as depending on how you look at it you could name any number of games.

In terms of pure performance until last Saturday I always felt us beating Everton at VP was the best have ever seen us play. The only shock that night was we didn’t stick five past them. I actually think in terms of sheer dominance added to the high stakes pressure and at Wembley last Saturday possibly goes past that just in my opinion.

Beating Stoke 3-1 was amazing not least as it wasn’t that long after Stein “won” a penalty to win the league game at their old dump.

Swindon in the playoff second leg just for the drama and tension.

2-1 v Stockport in the Autoglass too. First trophy had seen us win.

14 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Saturday is definitely in my top 5.

Stoke in the 3-1 home win, FA cup in the mud

Spurs 2-1 victory, it’s what started my love for the Vale

3-1 win at Brighton, only match I’ve seen 5 pitch invasions

3-2 win at Blackpool, despite not going up

3-2 win at Derby, ended up in the over spill section with so many locked out of the ground.

3 seems the magic number.

I’ve got to agree with these but also have to add Everton at home 

Archived