onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

RIP Geoff Hunter 82/83 Legend

Advert

Just now, DazFred said:

Folks ages are beginning to show now...

Was a spotty faced teen at the time but remains my favourite promotion ever. 

I think purely as was my first. 

At Stockport with my dad and fast forward 40 years at Wembley with my dad 

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Was a spotty faced teen at the time but remains my favourite promotion ever. 

I think purely as was my first. 

At Stockport with my dad and fast forward 40 years at Wembley with my dad 

My first too. I started in the 70s under Gordon Lee. Nothing special. Then we had free tickets for 2 games in 1978/9 at Park Road school. Beat Northampton 5 and Rochdale(I think) 5. That was it for me...went when I could afford and started regularly.

My fave promotion was the 1989 Robbie Earle (fave player).

Did Stockport at Wembley plus last Saturday. I'm still unbeaten at Wembley. Still pinching myself about last weekend

Geoff was a smooth silky midfielder.  His shock of blonde hair made him stand out, but his ability on the pitch made him stand out even more.  Not many players have made over 200 appearances for us, and appeared in two promotion winning teams as well.  In those promotion teams he made 45 and 46 appearances, so he was a rock solid stand out performer.  He was also voted in to the PFA league team of the year for 82/83.

His name does not trip off the tongue when we talk about past players.  Geoff just did the business, very very well indeed. It is a sign of his excellence that the name of the player who replaced him in the team was Ray Walker.   In our team today, Geoff would have slotted in perfectly.  He would have made the defensive midfield holding role his own, but could also push up and notch some important goals.

When he lost his place at Vale he had a great few seasons with Wrexham.

It is a stark reminder of human frailty when the player we remember as strong, athletic, successful, and hard working slips away and  leaves us.

RIP Geoff few players will be able to match your achievements for Port Vale

First saw Geoff playing for the trainspotters against us at VP, midweek game think ended 2-2.Geoff had a stormer so was delighted when we signed him soon after. Was also at the Bury away, 0-1, Hunter bending the ball top corner. Great memories from a great player, RIP( Yes big Nev in goal on loan)

1 hour ago, Essex Vale said:

Geoff was a smooth silky midfielder.  His shock of blonde hair made him stand out, but his ability on the pitch made him stand out even more.  Not many players have made over 200 appearances for us, and appeared in two promotion winning teams as well.  In those promotion teams he made 45 and 46 appearances, so he was a rock solid stand out performer.  He was also voted in to the PFA league team of the year for 82/83.

His name does not trip off the tongue when we talk about past players.  Geoff just did the business, very very well indeed. It is a sign of his excellence that the name of the player who replaced him in the team was Ray Walker.   In our team today, Geoff would have slotted in perfectly.  He would have made the defensive midfield holding role his own, but could also push up and notch some important goals.

When he lost his place at Vale he had a great few seasons with Wrexham.

It is a stark reminder of human frailty when the player we remember as strong, athletic, successful, and hard working slips away and  leaves us.

RIP Geoff few players will be able to match your achievements for Port Vale

He did stand out just as you say.  Great player through those early to mid eighties seasons.  Where has that time gone?

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Scored a belter at Bury in promotion season 83 and I'm sure Neville Southall was in goal for us 

Great player 

RIP Geoff.

Many fond memories, the best of which is your winner at Bury.

It was Neville Southhall's debut and he produced a worldy save from Tommy Gore.

Also it was John Rudge's first game in charge after John McGrath went awol never to be seen again.

14 minutes ago, KingRay said:

RIP Geoff.

Many fond memories, the best of which is your winner at Bury.

It was Neville Southhall's debut and he produced a worldy save from Tommy Gore.

Also it was John Rudge's first game in charge after John McGrath went awol never to be seen again.

Anyone else bump into Nev at Wembley?

Archived